Sunscreen Under Makeup

You can use a moizturizer with spf with 15 underneath then.
No. It's the same thing with moisturizers as with foundations. You need to wear a proper, separate sunscreen.

I love the ones from La Roche-Posay, I have no trouble applying makeup over them. I also love something called P20. It's waterproof and you don't need to re-apply for at least 10 hours - it's only available in Denmark I think. It has the funniest oily texture, but you won't get greasy at all - unfortunately there's a lot of alcohol in it, but there's alcohol in pretty much every good sunscreen. Even the ones from La Roche-Posay. The P20 is an excellent base for makeup.

^It's available here too! :buzz: YAY! Is it a danish brand? I have been meaning to throw out my unused SPF50 creams for a long, long time. I was an idiot to get them in the first place. :P

^I think P20 is Danish...seriously, it's THE BEST. I have never ever in my whole life had sunburn, and that is because of P20. No kidding! La Roche-Posay is okay, but I'm not too keen on reapplying all day :ninja:

^Interesting... but for personal reasons...is it that brand animal friendly?

^Haven't got a clue. No brands are animal friendly anyway. They may not test their products in animals, but they ALL use ingredients that are tested on animals. Every single company. I think it's pretty pointless to spend time worrying about that.

Here it is! My best friend in the whole world, P20

RIE0005f.jpg

Consider your daily sun protection application “done” with Riemann P20 Once A Day Sun Filter SPF20. This renowned UVA/UVB protector will minimise application and maximise tanning for ten impressive hours; leaving you with a lasting golden glow.
Quick drying, extremely water resistant and only needed once, Rienmann P20 Once A Day Sun Filter SPF20 allows for the perfect, safe and healthy tan without the presence of unsightly white marks. Ideal for burn-easy skin this clear liquid protects from as little as 15minutes after application leaving you to bask safely in the hands of this exceptional sun shield.
Directions of use:
  • Apply and allow to dry for 15minutes before exposure to sun.
  • Avoid direct contact with eyes.
  • Pat dry rather than rub after swimming. Excessive rubbing and soap will remove the product; in those situations re-application is necessary.
lookfantastic.com

It doesn't make you greasy or dry. And it is true - you don't need to reapply at all. I've been using this since I was a baby (well, my mum out it on me :D), and I've never had a sunburn in my entire life. I'm very fair, but I don't need more than SPF 20. Very few people do, really.

I don't get much of a tan, though, no matter if I wear sunscreen or not. I don't get burnt when not wearing sunscreen either even though I'm pretty fair...it's pretty odd.

I do this all the time,living in Hawaii.put on Aveeno spf 70 wait a bit then my liquid foundation,goes on really soft.You do have to blot frequently though!

^SPF 70!?! I'd avoid using sunscreens with such high SPFs...

Powdered sunscreen is my new best friend! You just use it throughout the day like you would to cut down on shine except that it has the added bonus of it being sunscreen! It doesn't make your face oily, doesn't mess up your makeup and doesn't leave weird white marks behind. I am super pale and this has gotten me through texas summers and a trip to vegas :smile:

And Michyed, why would you avoid sunscreens with high spfs? I won't use anything below spf 45.

^I'm curious too. There's no reason to put on that high SPF though. SPF 20 blocks 95% of the rays, SPF 50 blocks 98%. Those 3% don't make a difference. But I don't know why it would be bad for you?

^ I know it doesn't make much of a difference, it's mostly just force of habit to buy a higher spf :P
My face moisturizer has spf 20 and for everyday use (when I'm not really outside in the sun) that's all I need. I think it's just my super pale paranoia of burning that has me reaching for the higher spf in the summer ha ha.

^(FINALLY TFS is letting me post longer comments...)

Anything over SPF50 is banned here, because there are too many extra ingredients with toxic properties... Some of them alone are benign, but present with certain ingredients can disrupt your hormonal balance and provoke allergies you never knew existed :( I'm not an expert, but I would rather trust what the medical schools say than the companies claim...
The amount of increase in protection above SPF 30 is really minimal. So IMO, it's more important to find a sunscreen that actually protects against both UVA and UVB, because SPF only applies to UVB. Some sunscreens with over SPF50 can offer absolutely no UVA protection at all. :(

^...which makes them practically useless, I guess? I figured that there must be some toxic sh*t in sunscreen.

^(FINALLY TFS is letting me post longer comments...)

Anything over SPF50 is banned here, because there are too many extra ingredients with toxic properties... Some of them alone are benign, but present with certain ingredients can disrupt your hormonal balance and provoke allergies you never knew existed :( I'm not an expert, but I would rather trust what the medical schools say than the companies claim...
The amount of increase in protection above SPF 30 is really minimal. So IMO, it's more important to find a sunscreen that actually protects against both UVA and UVB, because SPF only applies to UVB. Some sunscreens with over SPF50 can offer absolutely no UVA protection at all. :(

WOW! I never knew this. Can you maybe post a link to some articles about this? I'd love to read more.

I use Cetaphil's SPF50 from the dermatologists', and it's superb. I was told, though, to use about one teaspoon of it on the face, and to 'layer' on... what I mean is that you should apply one layer, and then let it dry, and then more on. And for ethnicities prone to pigmentation around the cheeks and nose (like fair skinned asians like me!), apply more around this "W" region by dabbing and letting it set.

After it's all dry, then apply make-up!

Cetaphil's SPF50 is extremely gentle of sensitive skin like mine, and doesn't cause me to turn red at all. A true must-have. I must be on my 15th tube ever since I started last year. Also, it's moisturizing but not too oily and it's recommended for people who're on ro-accutane too!

Other cosmetic brands I would recommend would be La Roche Posay, Avene, Shiseido and Clarins (the ONLY TWO cosmetic brands which do a decent sunscreen)

I can't recommend Clinique's City Block highly enough...it's a great product! Most sunscreen makes me break out a bit on my face or makes my face look deathly white. The sunscreen sprays seem to dry my skin out. But City Block is great - it's slightly tinted so it goes on sheer instead of with a white pallor like most sunblocks and it doesn't dry my skin out nor is it mega greasy. It comes in SPF 25 (City Block Sheer) or SPF 40 (Super City Block) - i've only tried the 25 but i think my next tube is going to be the 40...it works as a primer as well so actually makes your makeup look BETTER.

i use the 'City Block Sheer Oil-Free Daily Face Protector SPF 25' too and i think it's quite good :smile: and it makes the make up look perfect :flower: over that i use 'Bobbi Brown Natural Finish Long Lasting Foundation SPF 15'...

i never heard that the City Blocker comes in SPF 40?!? :blink: is it available in germany?

This is something I have been researching a lot, so here's my thoughts for what they're worth :flower:

Understanding sunscreens and their effectiveness is hugely complicated, there's many different options, regulations and standards. Firstly, with skincare, what works for one doesn't work for another so this is something which is trial & error - learning what ingredients work for you and your lifestyle. So take into consideration your location, your skin & your needs. I do believe we should all take necessary precautions during hot weather, so avoid the sun at peak hours, use sunglasses and hat, reapply sunscreen after sweating or swimming. Regardless of where you live, UV rays are present but you can modify the protection for your location. I'm in the UK, so for most of the year I'm not in intense sunshine, but I'll always use a high PPD sunscreen to help against UVA. If you use exfoliants, you will need protection. I use Avene Diacneal (retinaldehyde and glycolic acid) therefore the new skin cells being exposed need protection to avoid repeating the skin darkening (acne scarring) I'm trying to prevent. The other thing that is important to remember is the amount you're using. The rating on your product (let's say it's SPF 15) is based on 1/4 teaspoon amount for face. If you do not use that amount, you are only getting a fraction of the protection, and this is where it gets difficult to wear under makeup.

Physical sunscreens (these are best for blocking UVB (burning) rays and offer a minimal UVA protection - maybe PPD 8-10 max) are good for those with sensitive skin, in particular zinc oxide. These do not degrade in sunlight and therefore do not need to be reapplied as often. They can however be chalky, thick and whitening.

Chemical sunscreens are often more cosmetically elegant formulations, however many like Avobenzone degrade under light. They offer superior protection for long wave UVA rays meaning they are better for those concerned about aging & cancer. Mexoryl SX (found in LRP and L'Oreal) is more stable but I believe does not offer quite as good protection. Tinosorbs M & S offer the most protection.

Avobenzone doesn't play well with mineral sunscreens - in any case, it must be stablized itself (usually by octocrylene). If the minerals are coated, it's better but this is not always the case. What is important to note here is, most makeup contains titanium dioxide even if it is marketed as not containing an SPF. Therefore you risk compromising your protection if you do not understand the ingredients you are combining. In any case, sunscreens are not tested with foundation on top so I believe that putting anything on top affects its performance. Also, protection cannot be layered - SPF 15 moisturiser and SPF 15 foundation do not SPF 30 make. I try to use only products without SPF so that I am in control of the ingredients and protection.

So I guess this probably doesn't help you find a good sunscreen to wear under makeup. My advice...do the best you can. Protect yourself by being sensible about your exposure. Find the sunscreen that sits nicely on your skin and then you will want to wear it. Learn about ingredients to find out what suits your skin and your needs. Don't be afraid of the sun but be very aware of its dangers, both for your appearance and your health. Many people wonder about how safe it is to be using sunscreen daily. Certainly there are major health problems associated with a lack of vitamin D, but my approach is: sunscreens may pose a problem & if something is absolutely proved to be unsafe and removed from the market, I would not use it. The sun is a known danger, at best you will age rapidly and at worst you may die from skin cancer. My preference is for European sunscreens & I would not use Oxybenzone. Many European formulations offer moisturisers now with high PPD (Vichy Aqualia Thermal has one with PPD 18) which is a nice alternative, particularly for those with dry skin because you need to use the correct amount. Also, whilst mixing foundation with sunscreen is a no-no because it dilutes the protection, you can buy tinted sunscreens to add into your regular sunscreen.

You shouldn't be afraid of the sun, just be sensible ^_^

Instead of using foundation why don't you wear a tinted lotion with SPF or this foundation I use from MAC which has SPF 15?

One potential reason for wearing a very high SPF is that in order to get the amount of protection on a label, one must apply about 1/4 teaspoon of sunscreen to the face, which is a lot.

If your skin can tolerate silicones, the best sunscreens are the Japanese ones like Sofina Lucent, Shiseido, Mentholatum etc. They make excellent primers.

Silicone breaks me out so I use Devita SPF 30 which is an aloe-based oil-free physical sunblock/moisturizer. It works well for me since I use mineral foundation, which actually benefits from having a well-moisturized base, rather than the matte effect of a Japanese sunscreen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->