Sunscreen Under Makeup

is there a good combination of daycream and eye cream with SPF?? i searched, but it seems like there is only Elizabeth Arden 'Ceramide!?!

- Plump Perfect Moisture Cream SPF 15
- Plump Perfect Eye Moisture Cream SPF 15

is it good?? or is there another daycream/eye cream you can recommend?

I wear either Devita Solar Moisturizer or Pratima Rose Neem Sunscreens with micronized (non-whitening) zinc oxide. Zinc is stable and provides broad spectrum UV protection that doesnt break down in sunlight.

These sunscreens are lightweight and not caky and work well even under delicate foundations like Sisley Phyto-Eclat without looking masky. They havent caused le zits on my normal but finicky skin and wash off well with any cleanser, unlike the heavy Shiseido sunscreens that require double-cleansing (for me).

Devita is available at Whole Foods and other health food stores and also at Vitacost.com. Pratima is available online at their webstie.

I'm just wondring, are you supposed to use sunscreen on top or underneath your regular moisturizer?

I have the Bobbi Brown Oil Control lotion with SPF 15, I know Bobbi is big on suncare, does anyone know how reliable or unreliable her sunscreens are please?

^Use a proper SPF. SPF in moisturizers and makeup are seldom what they claim to be. At best, they last a few hours, but look crap in photos

The spf ingredient in most moisturizers is NOT sufficient to protect you! They use chemical filters that break down in UVR to form free radicals on the skin. Just the thing we are trying to prevent. I always use a separate micronized zinc oxide sunscreen of spf 30 under my foundation. Devita and Pratima make great ones that go on sheer and are invisible yet provide decent protection. You still would need to reapply if you are out IN the sun every hour or so for optimal protection tho.

The spf ingredient in most moisturizers is NOT sufficient to protect you! They use chemical filters that break down in UVR to form free radicals on the skin. Just the thing we are trying to prevent. I always use a separate micronized zinc oxide sunscreen of spf 30 under my foundation. Devita and Pratima make great ones that go on sheer and are invisible yet provide decent protection. You still would need to reapply if you are out IN the sun every hour or so for optimal protection tho.
That is a thesis that has never been proven. Chemical filters are actually more stable than physical filters. I've used a sunscreen with chemical filters since I was an infant, and people think I'm 6 years younger than I am. No skin damage there. It's actually not the cells that are damaged by free radicals, it's the mitochondries...long story, you can't avoid it. Ever. And sunscreen is OBVIOUSLY not the cause of it.

All this "chemical filters are bad"-crap is obviously something that certain companies came up with, probably the same companies that claim mineral oil to be bad for the skin. Mostly these companies claim to use "natural" ingredients, as if they are safer.

I use a sunscreen that protects me from UVA and UVB for 10 hours. It's waterproof, so you can swim and sweat and do whatever and you still don't need to reapply. I have never ever had a sunburn even though I'm very fair, and I've spent hours in the sun getting nothing but an even tan. Chemical filters are the way to go. And they won't make you look like an idiot in photos :ninja: A sunscreen you need to apply every hour is a waste of time and energy IMO.

would you guys suggest L'Occitane? It's called 'Immortelle Brightening UV Shield SPF40 (UV Schutz-Fluid SPF 40)'. Any experience?

I'm looking for a sunscreen (under my make up) for the total face including the eye area!!

I wear a very thin sunscreen (Anthelios by LaRoche Posay N 50) instead of moisturizer in summer. In winter some moisturizer with at least 15 SP and then some foundation.
My skin is oily I need to keep an eye when piling creams an potions.

Here´s a super cool tutorial where Lisa Eldridge uses sunscreen in lieu of moisturiser and then the foundation.

Great tutorial in general, I hope you enjoy it.

http://www.lisaeldridge.com/video/8825/an-everyday-make-up-look/

^That sunscreen is brilliant! I use it a lot, I think it saved me in Tunisia last August :lol: It's an awesome primer too.

Oxybenzone/benzophenone-3 is a common chemical suscreening agent.
Also listed as:BENZOPHENONE-3, 2-BENZOYL-5-METHOXYPHENOL; 2-HYDROXY-4-METHOXYBENZOPHENONE; (2-HYDROXY-4-METHOXYPHENYL) PHENYLMETHANONE; METHANONE, (2-HYDROXY-4-METHOXYPHENYL) PHENYL-; (2-HYDROXY-4-METHOXYPHENYL) PHENYL- METHANONE; OXYBENZONE (BENZOPHENONE-3) ; OXYBENZONE 6; METHANONE, (2HYDROXY4METHOXYPHENYL) PHENYL; B3; DURASCREEN; SOLAQUIN

Oxybenzone oxidation following solar irradiation of skin: photoprotection versus antioxidant inactivation
Author: Schallreuter KU; Wood JM; Farwell DW; Moore J; Edwards HG
Address: Department of Dermatology, University of Hamburg, Germany.
Source: J Invest Dermatol, 106(3:(583-6 1996 Mar
We followed the fate of the broadly used ultraviolet UVA sun blocker, oxybenzone, after topical application to the skin. Our results showed that oxybenzone is rapidly photo-oxidized. Although oxybenzone is an excellent broad spectrum UVA filter, its rapid oxidation followed by the inactivation of important antioxidant systems indicates that this substance may be rather harmful to the homeostasis of the epidermis.

So for me it isnt worth it. I stick to zinc oxide which is stable and has broad range of UVR protection. Many chemical sunscreening agents can cause photoallergic reactions in those with sensitive skin to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->