Teach me your language I teach you mine

i was unsure because i thought that maybe "jouent" referred to all "ce vous, ce je, ce tu", if you know what i mean? but i have no idea if that makes sense at all in french, actually:ninja::lol:

thank you:flower:

Oh I see :D I'll ask my friend then unless someone answers soon. Yea you might be right --I was also thinking it seems it could go with "on joue," a casual way of saying "we..." since she is referring to you and i

I am sad I can't play the song :doh: Not allowed in my country apparently

i was unsure because i thought that maybe "jouent" referred to all "ce vous, ce je, ce tu", if you know what i mean? but i have no idea if that makes sense at all in french, actually:ninja::lol:
I so understand what you mean:wink: But I guess it doesn't make sense when it comes to French..it's like Nam..no rules:innocent:

hmm so considering the subject as "we" ("on" as in je + vous + tu) the verb would be "joue", and as "they" ("ils" as in ce je + ce vous + ce tu) would be "jouent"... i think it's "jouent", then? both are plural anyway, which kinda answers my question because at first i thought that maybe "joue" referred only to "ce tu", which wouldn't make a lot of sense, i suppose.
GOD i may be sounding so annoying.:lol: i'm sorry, i just have this thing with languages that i always want to understand not only the meaning but the structure:hardhead:
it's nothing important, really.
I am sad I can't play the song :doh: Not allowed in my country apparently
that's weird! maybe you can listen to it in this other video.:flower:

Is there a Dutch speaker out there who would be willing to help me? My best friend in the whole world is Dutch and I've written her a super long letter. I'm okay opening the letter in Dutch,and the majority of it is written in English. I'm looking to get the closing line translated into Dutch if at all possible:

"You are always in my thoughts and I love you with all of my heart."

I have taken a poor guess at what it could be using dictionaries but would like somone to confirm it to me first :flower:

dumbfairy,

It could be translated in different ways.
I'll send you a PM. ^_^

Ok, nevermind. There you go:

Je bent altijd in mijn gedachten en ik hou van je met heel mijn hart.

I got an assignment to make a writing about 'mon souvenir' but im kinda confused, should i write it in passe compose or subjonctif because i really do not know when i must use passe compose or subjonctif in a writing. I hope someone could help me.. thanks

hmm so considering the subject as "we" ("on" as in je + vous + tu) the verb would be "joue", and as "they" ("ils" as in ce je + ce vous + ce tu) would be "jouent"... i think it's "jouent", then? both are plural anyway, which kinda answers my question because at first i thought that maybe "joue" referred only to "ce tu", which wouldn't make a lot of sense, i suppose.
GOD i may be sounding so annoying.:lol: i'm sorry, i just have this thing with languages that i always want to understand not only the meaning but the structure:hardhead:
it's nothing important, really.
that's weird! maybe you can listen to it in this other video.:flower:
Thanks^^ I was wrong about the 'we' although 'joue' is correct.. My reasoning's wrong. Sorry that my first post sounds like I had the answer, if the time limit was longer I would have edited that :doh: ...Anyway, here you are. Answer from a French lady^_^

Jouer avec le feu = To play with fire
Ce .. = This ... ( singular form )
NORMALLY, adding singular subjects before a verb is equivalent to a PLURAL global form,
which would mean : THEY, in French : ILS ( or ELLES ),
which would mean the "jouent" conjugation.

HOWEVER, in poetry and songs, some special meaning may be valid,
like meaning DISTRIBUTING the subjects, at another level of comprehension :
"This X plays with fire"
"This Y plays with fire"
"This Z plays with fire"
and plays becomes valid. In French : the "joue" form.

I read the French lyrics for that song and I must admit it's ambiguous.
X, Y and Z are pronouns, clearly meaning :
"( your use of the X pronoun )" or "( your use of the Y pronoun )" or "( your use of the Z pronoun )"
"( is something meaning you ) play with fire"

Which I interpret as meaning ( as in such cases with some hesitation ) ...
...that the singular form is correct.

Any spanish talking person who would like to correct a text I've written?

A couple of questions regarding French & German:

1. Does tant pis have several meanings?
2. Is it ok if we use de rien in all occasions? Are there any situations where je vous en prie is required?
3. Do we really have to say Excusez-moi, de vous deranger mais j'ai un probleme? Will I sound pretentious/overtly polite?
4. In German, what happens to the vowels if there's an umlaut on top if it?

Thanks in advance..

I think someone native French should answer you but I can say that you can also say pardon if you don't want to say excusez-moi.

The vowels are pronounced differently if it's an Umlaut. :rofl: I really cannot explain it by writing so I searched for something on youtube...(wow those stereotypes in this video crack me up) I think he has more videos for ö and ü.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSw9ilEE8r4&feature=related

Thanks Marcel..is it safe to say it has a slight "e" sound at the back? Cos it sounds like that from the vids...are you German? Was it weird when you started learning English, with the capital-letter nouns thing and all that?

And another question..bitte and bitte sehr..what's the difference? Does bitte sehr have several meanings as well? Thanks..

P.S. Is Max und Moritz a good place to start learning basic German?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I'm German.

Ä is more pronounced as in bear, and e (oh well realizing it depends because English and American english and all the accanets make me think that every word that would contain the German sound of ä or e could be switched and you would still understand but there definitely is a difference) as in halloween maybe? It's hard to explain

Bitte and bittesehr mean the same. It's the same as danke and dankeschön though only bitte is more common, I think bittesehr sounds utterly nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->