Temperley Pre-Fall 2011

mackos

Alluring
Reaction score
NEW YORK, November 30, 2010

By Matthew Schneier

From Norman Parkinson to Guinevere and Arthur, Alice Temperley likes to cast all about for her inspirations. For pre-fall, Spanish matadors have caught the designer's fancy. You saw that most clearly in the elaborate cording and frilling on lacy shifts and the hand-sewn paillettes that detailed dress straps. The bolero was a forgone conclusion, but with its jewel-encrusted shoulders, it stood out nonetheless. Crinkly, oversize fleurettes in chiffon and silk dotted dresses tailor-made for the señoritas in the stands.

Overall, though, this was Alice being Alice—another collection of party frocks, sequined blouses, and a few (perhaps too complicated) knits. The palette may have owed a debt to heady Spanish passions—deep plums, fuchsias, and a brilliant torero-cape red—but Temperley knows what her girls want, and delivers year after year. She's coming up on her tenth anniversary in 2011, by the way, and will move her runway show back to London in celebration. Will that send the designer spiraling toward Anglophilia once again? Time will tell.

01m.jpg
02m.jpg

03m.jpg
04m.jpg

05m.jpg
06m.jpg

07m.jpg
08m.jpg

09m.jpg
10m.jpg

11m.jpg
12m.jpg

13m.jpg
14m.jpg

style.com

parts of this collection come off looking very cheap to me and others look very "prom" esque. I don't respond well to the color palette... I just don't think I like this collection at all.

Very overdone as usual, but there are some pretty pieces, this one and this one, being them; delicacy and thought on balance seemed to have been considered, at least.
For some reason I always get the feeling that Temperley clothes are very masculine, almost as if a straight man had designed it for his wife..

I don't usually relate to her work and I wouldn't consider her a designer on my personal radar, but this doesn't look that bad. It's simply alright. I do happen to love that last look though.

alice temperly knows her customer a little too well. these pieces will leap out of this collection and land on a particular type of transatlantic bicoastal expatriate girl here in the united states. i can already see this dress teetering with slight inebriation through the meatpacking atop the most expensive "it" shoes possible.

Love the blouse in the first picture but the rest is a bit of a mess. The embellishments are weird and look so dated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->