Teyana Taylor

gyal

Reaction score
It’s hard to recognize the pretty 16 year-old poised in first position at the ballet barre. Her usually wild mane is pulled back into a scarf as she takes her final port de bras and retreats to the locker room with a tug of her leotard. "I’m not a girly girl," she confesses with a shrug. "I don’t like wearing a spandex bodysuit." When she returns, she’s rocking a fitted cap cocked over her gorgeous crop of corkscrew curls, a subtle sag in her Ice Cream jeans, and a pair of technicolor Air Force Ones. Yup, Teyana Taylor’s got her swagger back.

You may already know Pharrell’s latest protégé from her extravagant, 80’s-themed coming out party on MTV’s Sweet 16 or as the petite pop locker in Jay Z’s “Blue Magic” video, but her V.I.P. status was established even before the cameos and big name industry endorsements. Lady Beyonce herself was so impressed with the Harlem bred triple threat’s moves that she asked her to teach her the Chicken Noodle Soup — the popular dance Teyana helped innovate — for her performance at the 2007 VMA’s. "That kind of love coming from Jay and Beyonce, was crazy, recalls Teyana. "When he said, Yo, you’re a superstar. I’ll see you at the top,’ I was humbled, like wow!"

With the release of her debut album, From A Planet Called Harlem (Star Trak/Intersope), Teyana finally gets to show off her killer pipes and full-bodied flow to the rest of the universe. The album is a macrocosm of R&B, pop rock, and rap and deliciously rich with sticky hooks and campy lyrical play. "From the songs to the production — the whole direction of the album is insane," explains the Star Trak maverick. "It’s a story about having fun."

Of course, the stylish femcee reps NYC to the fullest but it’s her offbeat, ’afronaut’ edge that makes her such an undeniable rockstar — she’s a seamless blend of hip hop hipster and skater chick. Her hybrid musical style is as rebellious and eclectic as her personality and that’s not the result of a brilliant marketing squad. Just peep her iTunes playlist and you’ll find her rocking out to My Chemical Romance, Green Day, Fall Out Boy, Lauren Hill, Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson.

With production from sonic architects like Jazze Pha, Pharrell, Mad Scientist, Frost, Shondre and Hit Boy, Teyana’s first solo offering has the rumblings of a party-pumping earthquake. The mix of throwback break beats, futuristic boom bap, and melodic renderings is the perfect backdrop for the starlet’s musical mayhem.

"Complicated" is a beautifully airy ballad about a crush that she’s not quite prepared to pursue. I can’t say I’m not impressed by you /I’m not ready to invest/ I can’t say I’m not the girl for you/ I just might not be her yet. She sings with the tender honesty of a young girl with strong sense of self-awareness and wisdom.

"’Color Me Pink’ is my favorite song," she says about another coming-of-age single. "It’s about a boy who makes me want to put on a skirt or wear a tutu to ballet class. It’s something every girl can relate to."
But From A Planet Called Harlem isn’t all flowery femme gems and soulful lullabies. On "Translation," Teyana gets clever with her wordplay. She spits a few bars of hood patois and then translates it for her less slang-savvy fans. "Switch It Up" is another track that capitalizes on her flow. She adopts her mentor’s cocky cadence and rips the mic over an infectious go-go beat, lacing it with his familiar yezir’s. Then the sassy shopaholic goes ego-trippin on "Traffic Stop," a head bopping jam that will have everyone singing “Sittin’ at a bus stop/ Suckin’ on a lollipop/ In my Ice Cream top/ I can make the Traffic Stop”.

"The first time I stepped into a booth I was seven," says Teyana. "I started singing on the train to make money, just hustling. No matter how much money I get, I still gotta grind. I still gotta work hard to get where I want to be."

While the average 16-year-old’s burning ambition is passing their road test, Teyana is busy pursuing loftier goals. For now, the industry ingénue would rather focus on kicking her career into overdrive.

from her myspace

i cant post anymore attachements and i dont know any more ways to post pictures:unsure: so ill just post URL
if anyone can help me with this, plz let me know:flower:

Hey gyal,
You can upload your pictures to a hosting site, as www.imageshack.us , or www.imagevenue.com .^_^ Just select the file from your computer which you want to upload, then copy the code of either 'Thumbnail for forums' or 'Hotlink for forums', depends how big your file's width and height is. If It's bigger than 800 pixels in either way, I suggest thumbnails. ^_^ Good luck!

i like her style....very fresh and she still looks hot despite her tomboy style

i think she's really really really annoying...but she's a good performer..

Hey gyal,
You can upload your pictures to a hosting site, as www.imageshack.us , or www.imagevenue.com .^_^ Just select the file from your computer which you want to upload, then copy the code of either 'Thumbnail for forums' or 'Hotlink for forums', depends how big your file's width and height is. If It's bigger than 800 pixels in either way, I suggest thumbnails. ^_^ Good luck!

Thank you so much, ill try:flower:

she's one of those people who has a face that makes them look older then they are but i think she has a pretty individual style. Its interesting to see what she puts together

Trace Magazine
sweetxvicious.blogspot.com
concreeteloop
atmosny.typepad.com

1431593398_7d7353feef.jpg
tracet2.jpg

article_1.jpg

On the cover of Rap Up with Keri Hilson and Solange:

bossip

Attachments

• girls_sum08.jpg
    girls_sum08.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 5
Teyana has a blog and she post some interesting knowledge that i thought i'd post here. She talks about the music industry, fashion and of course, being a teen. Here's one that touched me and i'm amazed by how mature she is cuz i don't think she's 18 yet and still, i'm 21 and i felt concerned.

Here it is:

SORRY I MISSED U GUYS SUNDAY TOOK A LITTLE DAY OF BUT IM BACK LIKE I LEFT SUMTHIN...LOL...
HOW MUCH DO WE AS FEMALES CHERISH OUR MOST VALUABLE GIFT? "SEX", YEAH I KNO TOUCHY SUBJECT, NOT CUZ IM STILL A VIRGIN AM I BRINGING THIS UP BUT LIKE DO WE AS FEMALES EVEN CARE WHO SLEEPS WITH US NOW?
LAST NIGHT I WAS IN HARLEM CHILLIN ON THE BLOCK WITH MY "SLIMES" (PEEPS)..LOL..THEIR GUYS LIKE MY BROTHERS AND THEY WERE TALKIN ABOUT SEX AND THIS GIRL AND THAT GIRL, THEY WAS TRYIN TO GET ME OUTTA THEIR CUZ I WAS "LIL SIS" THEY AINT WANT ME AROUND, BUT THEY STARTED TO TALK ABOUT GIRLS FROM ALL OVER ESPECIALLY AN AREA IN NYC CALLED THE BRONX AND ONE OF THEM SAID BE CAREFUL WHO U SLEEP WITH OUT THERE CUZ AT LEAST 500,000 ALONE HAVE THAT "MONSTER" (HIV/AIDS), AND THAT JUS MADE ME WONDER WAT THE HELL IS GOIN ON OUT HERE IN THESE STREETS. GIRLS OUT HERE IN MY AREA IM JUS SPEAKIN ON WHERE IM FROM BUT IM SURE U ALL HAVE THE SAME ISSUES WHERE UR AT ALSO, BUT GIRLS HERE OVER TIME HAVE GOTTEN THIS ATTITUDE TO TAKE ON THE ROLE OF THE "GUY", MEANING SOCIETY HAS TAUGHT US THAT THE "GUY" IS THE ONE WHO SLEEPS WITH MANY PARTNERS DOESNT CARE WHO THEY SLEEP WITH AND THEY HAVE THIS MENTAL MISSION THAT EVERY GIRL IS A NOTCH ON THEIR BELT. WELL NOW ITS STARTIN TO SEEM LIKE GIRLS ARE DOIN THE SAME THING THESE DAYS, NOT TO SAY THAT THEY HAVENT BEEN DOIN IT BUT THEY'RE DOIN IT NOW MORE THAN EVER.
SAFE SEX IS ONE!! LIKE LETTIN A GUY GO RAW U BUGGIN OUT NOT JUS CUZ OF PREGNANCY, BUT BECAUSE WHEN U SLEEP WITH A PERSON U SLEEPIN WITH WHOEVER THAT SLEPT WITH. WAT IM TALKIN IS ON A MORAL LEVEL, SOME GIRLS BE BUGGIN THE HELL OUT, U SLEEP WITH A GUY CUZ HE GOT CUTE EYES, CUZ HIS HAIR CURLY, CUZ HE THE MOST POPPIN BOY ON THE BLOCK, CUZ HE SHOOT PEOPLE, CUZ HE CUFF HIS PANTS IN THE COOLEST WAY YEP ITS TRUE PEOPLE LIKE THAT R OUT THERE..SMH... I REALLY ENCOURAGE ANY GIRL OUT THERE THATS READIN THIS AND LIVIN THEIR LIFE LIKE THAT TO SLOW THEY *** DOWN FOR REAL. I EVEN HAVE SOME PEOPLE I KNO THAT ARE "FAST", AND ITS NOT ONLY DISGUSTING BUT HIGHLY DANGEROUS. YA LIFE IS ON THE LINE WHEN U GET IN THE BED WITH SOMEONE U DONT KNO, VALUE SUMTHIN THAT EVERY GUY IS CHASING, LOVE URSELF. IT REALLY ERKS ME TO SEE THIS GIRLS SLIDING OFF AND JUST GIVIN THEIR SELVES UP TO WHOEVER, AND HISTORY REPEATS ITSELF SO REMEMBER THAT WHEN UR BIRTHIN UR CHILD, CUZ SOME PEOPLE HATE TO LOOK IN THE MIRROR AT THEMSELVES WHEN THEY'RE DOIN SUMTHIN WRONG AND UR OFFSPRING WILL BE THAT MIRROR WEATHER FEMALE OR MALE IT GOES EITHER WAY NOT JUS SEX, DOMESTIC VIOLENCE, CRIMINAL ACTIVITY EVERYTHING....
I JUS HAD TO LET THAT OUT!!LOL... I LOVE U GUYS, COMMENT LET ME HEAR UR VIEWS I'LL SEE U IN THE MORNIN...PEACE!!!!

to view more of her blog: http://brushyateeth.blogspot.com/

^^There is a bunch of crap in there, but overall I'm glad she took the time out to reach out to her peers. Hopefully she saved a few lives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->