The 94th Academy Awards (Oscars 2022)

Okay late to the party but why did everyone looked so bad ?

Save for a few it really gives off VMAs vibes not the Oscar’s? Remember just regular glamour? Everything feels like a stunt.

Don’t hate me but Renate Reinsve’s Vuitton look is so crazy I love it lol!

That list of presenters is tragic! I miss the days when presenters were mostly A listers and movie stars. Now, in the effort of being dIVeRsE and rElAtAbLe, they mostly have D listers and randoms.
D-listers? Surprised you didn’t use the word “woke” in your rant. Not sure what show you’re watching.

Also that Kodi Smit-McPhee jumpscare. I was looking at the top half and was like hmm actually interesting proportions and then I scrolled down and screamed

What a drab red carpet. Impressed with Jada Pinkett-Smith, Meg Thee Stallion, Maggie Gyllenhaal (Schiaparelli, DUH, what can I say….?), and a cute moment from Lily James - that’s about it from me. None of the men stood out at ALL; yes, including Chalamet.

Way too many outfits that would be more suitable for a prom or baby shower than the Oscar’s. Isn’t this a night to expect nothing short of pure glamour & elegance? :ninja:

Hoping we’ll get some Vanity Fair party coverage in this thread as well. I’ll get my popcorn ready.

kourtney & travis just can't help it, can they? jennifer garner looks great, not an overly interesting look, but she looks beautiful.

Glad that Jada Pinkett Smith is wearing one of my favorite looks from JPG by Glenn Martens and the rest are quite remarkable!

Will Smith is really going through it, this is hard to watch.

@KINGofVERSAILLES Christ, you were spot on with your winner predictions. Maybe Benn was onto something… :P

Chrissy Teigen is so insufferable to me, I couldn’t care less about what she’s wearing. It hurts to see Janelle Monae in Siriano… and it’s horrendously styled, too… :unsure::cry: No standouts on the VF red (aka blue) carpet as of yet, but it’s still very early.

The Will & Chris incident…. unprofessional, sure, but I’d say he acted accordingly given the premise of the joke landing on Jada’s alopecia. That’s not something to casually create humor out of. And then he won his first Oscar not even thirty minutes later & formally apologized to everyone involved - I think both parties will be just fine. The only people I’ve seen condemning Will’s behavior thus far are comedians who haven’t had very much of a career in quite some time.

That list of presenters is tragic! I miss the days when presenters were mostly A listers and movie stars. Now, in the effort of being dIVeRsE and rElAtAbLe, they mostly have D listers and randoms.

Every era has it's own A list we don't expect stars from the 90s or the golden age of Hollywood to turn up every evening. These are our A list and all have the power that comes with it.

I also hate to be THAT person but saying that they now have D listers because of trying to be diverse and relatable sounds proplematic af but thats just my opinion.

I also hate to be THAT person but saying that they now have D listers because of trying to be diverse and relatable sounds proplematic af but thats just my opinion.
Exactly, and I would argue that the more, uh, diverse presenters on this list are the most relevant ones. Such as Zoe Kravitz who can currently be seen on the big screen in The Batman and The Williams sisters… need I say more?

The Will & Chris incident…. unprofessional, sure, but I’d say he acted accordingly given the premise of the joke landing on Jada’s alopecia. That’s not something to casually create humor out of. And then he won his first Oscar not even thirty minutes later & formally apologized to everyone involved - I think both parties will be just fine. The only people I’ve seen condemning Will’s behavior thus far are comedians who haven’t had very much of a career in quite some time.

I have to say I strongly disagree.

- Perhaps he did apologize in a direct way, but I don't remember it. Or at least I don't remember an apology to Chris Rock specifically - you know, the man he just physically assaulted and cussed out in front of a room of peers and millions of viewers. My impression was a "oops! I know I was disruptive but it's really because I'm a vessel of love! Hope I get invited back next year!" vibe. There was some weird implication that What I heard was a sad, delusional, incredibly self-centered speech about being a beacon of light and a protector to all these helpless women, from his family members to cast mates to the Williams sisters. I hate to say it, but to me it sounded EXTREMELY reminiscent of the type of thing Kanye says these days, excusing his worrying behavior as "protecting" his daughter, Kim, etc. Trying to justify violence as actually an expression of love is a HUGE red flag. And I think because Will Smith is a huge star, this was his first Oscar win, because he showed vulnerability in his acceptance speech, the embarrassment factor, and because Chris took it pretty well, people are wanting to find reasons to excuse his behavior. But imagine it was someone else. Someone unknown. Or even just a star with less star power. What if Jesse Plemmons had done the same thing to defend Kirsten Dunst from a silly (and many would argue flattering) joke? I feel the condemnation would be swift and unanimous in that case.

Concerning the joke itself, I found it funny. I understand Jada did not, but that's life. I lost all my hair (temporarily but with no guarantee of that at the time) less than a year ago, so I do understand the vulnerability and I don't think she should have to smile and laugh if that's not how she felt in the moment. But you know who definitely found it funny? Will Smith. The camera was trained on them and he clearly reacts happily and with laughter initially. Then he realized Jada didn't and his subsequent reaction was so overblown and out-of-proportion to the joke that almost everyone was questioning if it was a planned bit, That's how outrageous it was. That many now are framing his actions as honorable, that he was just being a man, just defending his family? That almost ensures no lesson will be learned. He'll not only escape serious criticism, but he'll actually be celebrated for his violent outburst. It's already happening. And that sends a toxic message to millions of others.

Last edited:
Also, I'm sure everyone has seen the un-bleeped version by now but here it is:

"

I don't know whether that was staged for publicity or based on long-standing bad blood between them - but if people are going to be slapping or hitting others on stage, it turns the Oscars into something that's just a few steps above a televised office party where people say and do inadvisable things in front of everyone they work with.

I just took it as an entertaining TV moment. There are a lot of people having a meltdown over this comparing him to Putin and wife beaters etc etc. One rich guy slapped another rich guy on TV the world is ending how shameful we've lost civility I'm clutching my pearls

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzn
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->