The 95th Academy Awards (Oscars 2023)

i watched EEAAO and i don't get the hype. great acting, sure, but there is no story. the film is like hyperactive memes. lol. it's super creative, though, so props for that.

on another note, i so much agree with Sofia Coppola's IG post about older Oscar red carpets being more interesting

CpqCToGJtKf

The way that chartreuse Galliano dress just stands out!

k I'll be that annoying person: does anyone have a livestream link? :smilingwtear:

These Wakanda movies winning two Oscars for COSTUMES is a riot. Those getups look so gaudy and tacky.

I think they're really effective costumes, they help create a vivid culture and while they may reference real world fashion from the African continent, there's so much invention involved, they help create a cohesive look/identity for a fictional world. It's not really about good taste. I thought Tar was stylish as f*ck but I'm not sure someone deserves an Oscar for judiciously picking some pieces from The Row, Celine, Jil Sander, etc. This is costumes design, not styling. Same goes for Elvis. Most of the costumes were just exact or near exact replicas of existing pieces actually worn by Elvis. It's beautiful work with very little creativity.

Omg this b*itch.. still centering herself and auditioning for an Oscar that's not happening soon, even in this forgettable musical number :rolleyes:.. we didn't have to hear the other guys talk before singing so..??

Omg the ads for PrEP and for their direct competitor... ABC really knows their audience.

I thought EEAAO was audacious and fun with some moments of real poignancy, but it was also sloppy and silly and overlong. I dunno. I feel as though in film history people are going to look back and laugh at the idea this won Picture, Director, Screenplay, Editing, and THREE acting awards. Has any movie in history ever swept the main categories like that?

Who will get Michelle for september? Edward and Meisel or Anna and Leibovitz?

lots of mediocre films have won best picture; lots of acting awards have been given long after the fact or for the "wrong" performance.

there will be lots of "looking back" for the Oscars ... forever.

:tearsofjoy:

lots of mediocre films have won best picture; lots of acting awards have been given long after the fact or for the "wrong" performance.

there will be lots of "looking back" for the Oscars ... forever.

:tearsofjoy:

That’s certainly true, but I can’t think of a time any movie has absolutely dominated the “main” categories like this. Normally they spread the awards a little more evenly.

Happy that lazy biopic didn't win anything. Hopefully it keeps happening in the future. So happy for Brendan and Michelle, even though I also wanted Banshees and TÁR to win something.

So happy for Brendan and Michelle, even though I also wanted Banshees and TÁR to win something.
Same. I wanted Tár to win but I feel like Cate already knew she was not going to win and didn't care because she already has an Oscar lol, and that's why she wore those padded shoulders, who would want to be immortalized in that?

I'm indifferent to most dresses but most of the actresses looked so pretty tonight! Salma, Nicole, Zoe Saldana, Margot, Mindy, Rihanna, Emily Blunt, Elizabeth Olsen, Ana de Armas.. they had the kind of freshness and calm expression like when you just got a great massage, which they probably did! even Vanessa Hudgens (who I can't stand because I worked with her some years ago and she was rude af!) looked nice and I hope she's loving that Austin did NOT get the Oscar, I know I would if I had pushed him to do that project only for him to say 'a friend' suggested it. :lol:

That’s certainly true, but I can’t think of a time any movie has absolutely dominated the “main” categories like this. Normally they spread the awards a little more evenly.
Three acting wins I think it's the first, it's crazy. But actually quite a few have won 1-2 acting awards plus the other important ones. The last few years they spread the wealth A LOT though.
Also I'm still salty they snubbed Decision to Leave.

I looked it up and 3 movies (including EEAAO) have won in 3 of the acting categories, and no movie has ever won all 4. And 3 movies have won "the big 5" of lead actor, lead actress, best director, best picture, and screenplay. So it doesn't happen much but it has happened.

SO MAD about Decision to Leave total snub!
I am finding the Oscars more annoying every year but keep watching/following anyhow, lol :upsidedown::tearsofjoy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzn
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->