The All-Russian and Soviet Art Thread

We still need to organize that field trip.
Has anybody visited/worked at the Nabokov museum in Petersburg? My professor and I are in talks of arranging an internship for me there....

me too! i find their lives very interesting specially with all the fake Anastasia's

beautiful photos :crush: and the clothes.. *swoon*

Church of St. Peter and Paul, St. Petersburg

First, allow me to apologize for not posting here in so long. I'm just lazy and easily distracted. Have so many nice pics I took in Russia. Hopefully I will find time to post more soon.
Also thanks to all those who have posted nice comments about the pics I already posted.
Now for the good stuff.
Lux, thanks for all your great pics. Something you may find interesting is this first photo. It is the tomb of the last royal family, Nickolai II and Alexsanda and their children.
It is in the Church of St. Peter and Paul in St. Petersburg. The tombs of all the tsars before him going back to Peter the Great are also there.
But with a big difference. Nickolai and family's tomb is in a special room separate from the others, and the public may not enter that room, only look in. It is because all the members of the last royal family were canonized after their remains were discovered in the 1990's.
The other pics are of that church, inside and out.
Hope you enjoy.
Looks like i can't get them all in one post, so they will be in a few hopefully consective ones.
All pics mine.

Attachments

• russia 2-st.petersburg 076.jpg
    russia 2-st.petersburg 076.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 3
  • russia 2-st.petersburg 077.jpg
    russia 2-st.petersburg 077.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 4
more of Peter and Paul church

inside of church

Attachments

• russia 2-st.petersburg 081.jpg
    russia 2-st.petersburg 081.jpg
    493.8 KB · Views: 2
  • russia 2-st.petersburg 082.jpg
    russia 2-st.petersburg 082.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 2
  • russia 2-st.petersburg 083.jpg
    russia 2-st.petersburg 083.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 1
more of peter & paul church

still more.

Attachments

• russia 2-st.petersburg 084.jpg
    russia 2-st.petersburg 084.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 2
  • russia 2-st.petersburg 088.jpg
    russia 2-st.petersburg 088.jpg
    698.6 KB · Views: 3
  • russia 2-st.petersburg 089.jpg
    russia 2-st.petersburg 089.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 1
Oh! Very very interesting, sister vladapeg! Wonderful! Thank you very much :D

Memories!

Thanks for all the beautiful pics, Lux. I spent a day and a half in Hermitage. A true mind blower. Perhaps I'll post some of my pics of it if it's ok with you. Some that are different, of course.
For those of you who go to St. Petersburg, this is probably the No. 1 tourist attraction. Long lines of people waiting to get in. (We butted in line. Oh, well.)
Karma for you, Lux if I can figure out how to do it.

Oh :blush: you're welcome! I really like this so it's not a sacrifice at all!
it would be great to see your photographs, sister vladapeg! I can´t wait to visit Russia to see the Winter Palace with my own eyes - that and so many other fantastic buildings. I love it!

Thank you for the karma! You are very nice! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I just realised how huge your pictures are, Lux.
Please if you are going to post huge pictures, use the attachment feature
or post thumbnails
Otherwise smaller photos are best.
Remember some members do not have high-speed internet :P

I have deleted them but if you need the photos back, I can send them to you

Your pics are great sistervladapeg. Thanks for posting! I´ve been there this year and my pics in the Church turned out really blurry :(

Back on topic i´d like to go back to Russia again. I went in a bussines trip with my dads to Moscow and St PT but unfortunately I didn´t get to know much to be honest. Actually the thing I saw best was the fruit´s market!! which I guess is not the most desirable place to visit... And it was winter, and as for a person who have never seen snowing before,walking around humid St Pettersburg isn´t that enjoyable. Anyway the city is beautiful and the architecture magnificent.

Great thread, Ill definitly find a way to see that movie

Oh no! I lost so much time posting them! :(

Don't worry. I'll post mine soon. When I'm not too lazy. Hopefully they won't be too big. And they're almost as beautiful as yours. If you or anyone else planning to go to Russia would like some info first I will be delighted to help with anything I know. Drop me a line on my profile page. The cities I visited were St. Petersburg and Moscow. And I love talking about Russia with anyone.

CONSTRUCTIVISMES
Vogue Paris December 1997 / January 1998
Stylist: Delphine Treanton
Hair: Serge Normant
Makeup: Scott Andrew
Photographer: Michael Thompson

source | scanned by Mojopin

^I love it! never seen it, it's so fresh and creative. oh oh and before the carine régime... :wink:

what a wonderful thread this is! I hope to Russia within the next five years, I can't wait!

Sergei Eisenstein was a revolutionary Soviet Film director and film theorist. One of his most famous works is 'October' about the october revolution (russian revolution) in 1917, he made the movie ten years later in 1927. He is known for his innovative use of montage technique. He has been very important in the history of film and cinema and very important in the political russian/soviet scene as this particular film was used as propaganda. Film was the new way of speaking to the masses and so it had a great influence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0ebWlaFu58

Last edited by a moderator:
Leon Bakst

Supper, 1902

Bakst_Uzhin.jpg

Lightning of Zeus, 1908

Bakst_Lightning.jpg

Elysium, 1906

946792699_772ac8bf70.jpg

Autumn

3370537717_d95dea719a.jpg

La Balle au Bois dormant, 1916