The BEST Makeup Blogs, Podcasts, Videos & Application Tutorials!

I totally agree about beauty gurus, its suspicious that they all start talking about the same product at literally the same time and then in the following months they don't mention it at all. I have a question about that. Who sends the products to the beauty gurus? Would it be the marketing department of a company or has a new social media department been created? Sorry if it's a little off topic.

I'm not an insider so my informations may not be totally accurate but I know a 'new' beauty youtuber/blogger and apparently, she sometimes receives products directly from the brand. In her posts, she's quite transparent and says she got the product from the brand for a test but well yes, I suppose a lot of sponsored posts are 'hidden' (just like with fashion bloggers).

It seems there's also some creative/marketing agencies which contact bloggers/youtubers and send them products from random brands. I suppose these agencies are hired by the brands to get the social media coverage without needing to create a whole new department. Or maybe because it's still quite 'controversial' to send products for this kind of 'advertisement'.

As I'm french and talking about french bloggers/youtubers, I think maybe it's not the same in the US or in any other countries. I know that hidden advertisement in France is legally prohibited so brands may need to be careful on how they manage this kind of stuff.

Just discovered chrissstttiiine by way of her Francoise Hardy inspired make up video on youtube.

She's super adorable, medium skin-toned Vietnamese (?), hipster beauty/fashion blogger. She comes across as well read and informed while still being fun, enthusiatic and approachable.

I find her adoration for Francoise, Chloe Sevingy a refreshing alternative to the obviously contoured and heavily drawn eyebrow IG beauty zombies emulating the likes of Kylie, Gigi.

Here's her Camille Rowe Inspired Makeup tutorial:

Love how outdated this thread title is. Thank you @ellastica for its resurgence.

My favorite that falls under the category of IG/YouTube makeup gurus is Alissa Ashley... first was introduced to her when she had under 100k subscribers and absolutely adore her professionalism and creativity (and, my goodness, she's SO beyond gorgeous).

thanks for sharing @Armani. Make-up indeed can be very therapeutic! He skin is stunning without the make-up though. and her foundation didn't really match her skin :ninja: But as a women of color, I identify 100% with the skin-matching struggle. No company out there has nailed that often yellowy green, almost chartreuse golden undertone without the ashy cast.

I'm really digging this clean make-up artist Sammie Kolk on IG. She doesn't cake on the base, rather lets her freckles shine through. She plays around with beautiful bright, rich eye colors and lots of bold decidedly not chalky nude lips (she doesn't do the flat, muddy nude lip trend which I despise and looks good in).

Some YT beauty vloggers I've been enjoying. Thanks lockdown!

youtube beauty.PNG

Diaphthero gets the closet to replicating editorial precision and realistic, skin like base, as far as YT vloggers are concerned. One of the few Youtubers familiar with 90s era editorial MUA's like Diane Kendal.

Gabriela Francesca is just a joy to watch. Her perfume reviews are informative and relatable. And she doesn't cake on her base when she does do get ready with me type, beauty vids.

Cheri Voyage, a long-time MUA shares tons of beauty tips and tricks even I haven't seen as a former MUA. I love how she always films in natural light so one can see her skin texture and product interaction. She does high end make-up brand reviews in an approachable, yet authoritative way.

The Hooded Lid a mature vlogger also does high end make-up brand reviews with grace, sophistication mixed with many a ditzy blonde moments. She's often under prepared which doesn't phase her. She just goes with the flow. She reminds me a bit of my mum actually.

Serena K a 20 something Asian vlogger who does beauty looks on her combo, acne prone skin but keeps things looking fresh and light rather than many youngsters who feel the need to cover up every flaw with a heavy, matte mask.

Ditto Adelne Rousseau, both do informative product comparisons and more natural looking base on combo skin.

SlowGaze is a 30 something Asian art director, recovering cosmetics hoarder, who does monolid beauty looks, declutters, reflects on consumerism/promotes mindfulness. She aspires for a more thoughtful, streamlined approach to beauty and life.

Cocoa Swatches Love her reviews for ladies of color seeking pigment and color pay off.

Been really impressed with this gal's blending skills. Tamara is thoughtful and meticulous about applying make-up on her older, imperfect skin with texture.

Most refreshingly, she applies her base very sparingly, almost in a pointillist fashion by dotting and tapping on her base a la OG 90s Laura Mercier.

Coffee and Makeup

The vast majority of YT beauty vloggers I've observed do not seem to understand blending base products:

1. Use foundation 2-3 shades too dark for their skintone. I find this very puzzling when the base glaringly stands out and does not disappear into the skin even in swatch form
  2. Apply waaay too much product in very small concentrated areas. Very thick opaque swatches of product around their eyes and face then use a brush to spread it creating a very uneven streaky effect.
  3. Apply contour shades often directly from the tube but far from the perimeter of their face. Noticeably below the hairline. Then attempt to blend out but the end result leaving blobs of contour floating rather than creating a seamless shadowy gradient.

The only other Youtuber I've come across who understands blending sadly took down her videos
but is still on Instagram:

Diaphthero (photo from her account)

Diaphthero IG.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->