The Cfda Announces Nominees

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
pick your faves...add your thoughts...
Tuesday, March 30, 2004

The Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) has just released their fashion award nominees for the June 7 gala at The New York Public Library. Marc Jacobs, Donna Karan, and Narciso Rodriguez will serve as co-chairs, and Swarovski will underwrite the evening’s festivities. The nominees:

Womenswear Designer of the Year
Carolina Herrera
Marc Jacobs (signature collection)
Ralph Rucci for Chado Ralph Rucci
Michael Kors

Menswear Designer of the Year
Michael Kors
Sean Combs for Sean John
  :doh:
Ralph Lauren 

Accessory Designers
Marc Jacobs (signature collection)
Reed Krakoff for Coach
Edmundo Castillo

Swarovski’s Perry Ellis Award for ready-to-wear
Derek Lam
Zac Posen
Patrick Robinson for Perry Ellis-*(i think he'll win)

Swarovski’s Perry Ellis Award for Accessory Design
Eugenia Kim
Anthony Camargo and David Nakard Armstrong for Anthony Nak-*(who?)

Eugenia Sheppard Award
Teri Agins, senior special writer, Wall Street Journal
For her 14 years of excellence covering the business of fashion and retailing

Eleanor Lambert Award
Irving Penn
For his unique contribution to the artistry of fashion photography

International Award
Miuccia Prada
For her distinct vision and the impact of her recent collections on international style

Lifetime Achievement
Donna Karan
For her 20 years of consistent creative influence and dedication to fashion

Board of Director’s Special Tribute...(whatever...)
:innocent:
Tom Ford
For the indelible mark he has made as an American on international fashion

Fashion Icon
Sarah Jessica Parker
For her personal and professional commitment to fashion, and for her quintessentially New York style

Sean Combs? What are they smoking :rolleyes:

Never heard of Edmundo Castillo, I'll go google him :unsure:

Originally posted by maarit@Mar 30th, 2004 - 2:38 pm
Sean Combs? What are they smoking :rolleyes:

Never heard of Edmundo Castillo, I'll go google him :unsure:
edmundo is a shoe designer and based in nyc, he is good. i think he deserves the nomination.

For a total lack of interest in most of these designers, I don't care who wins. P. Diddy......well.......all I can say is, if he can become a "fashion designer" why can't I? Donna Karan, good choice, she's been around a while and made some amazing clothes. Tom Ford, also a good choice, but bad timing, it looks kind of like their giving it to him b/c he is leaving Gucci, which shouldn't be the reason. I would've waited a year to give it to him. Other then that, who cares?

I'm not partial to any of them either since I find all of them rather tired. What a lousy list of nominees! Hype,hype and more hype....puh-leeeeeze!

Personally,for Newcomers,they could have at least given a nod to someone like Tess Giberson who is doing some wonderful things. I remember,what,two years ago they recognized the duo of Bruce....what's happened with that pattern? I seriously don't understand the mindset of some of these people in the New York side of the industry. Does everyone have a short attention span or none at all? And many wonder why many New York indies suffer as much as they do....

And then they honour someone like Puff Daddy...that's just a complete disgrace to the real talents,not to mention a total lack of respect for design itself which these awards are 'supposed' to be about,non?

At least Ralph Rucci was nom'ed

I couldn't agree more with the P. Diddy thing. I mean, come on! What a f**king joke! First of all, the "collections" that you see on his runway are totally hyped. I mean, people criticize people like Donatella Versace and Tom Ford for being all about hype. At least they have some talent. This is why I hate New York fashion, it'a all about the in thing.

Womenswear Designer Of The Year:

Michael Kors

Menswear Designer Of The Year:

Sean Combs
(i thought it was about who dressed men the best this year, not who did or didn't design. that's what I went on)

Accessory Designer:

Edmundo Castillo

Swarovski's Perry Ellis Award for Ready-To-Wear:

Patrick Robinson

Swarovski's Perry Ellis Award for Accessory Design

???

I am so happy for Miuccia Prada, she deserves it. Everyone has been going the Prada way for a bit, so she deserves the credit. And Donna Karan deserves hers too. People love her and her clothing. Go Donna! I don't quite know what to say about Tom Ford because he has done great for Gucci, but he didn't do right by YSL's line. He just didn't fulfill the role for the classy, timeless line.

Originally posted by softgrey@Mar 30th, 2004 - 2:29 pm

Swarovski’s Perry Ellis Award for Accessory Design
Eugenia Kim
Anthony Camargo and David Nakard Armstrong for Anthony Nak-*(who?)

Exactly... Who?

I read an article recently about Eugenia Kim..

I've seen her stuff too... Kinda overrated...

great post!

YESSS!!!!!!!!!!!! so happy for SJP :heart:

and as for Sean Combs...err. he said it himself; he's never studied fashion and doesn't know what he's doing. i must admit some of these nominees are very media-based...

and hooray for Miuccia :woot: a well-deserved award!!

Just like New York Fashion Week last season, this I find this rather tired. :rolleyes: A lousy list indeed.

Though Ralph Rucci will and should win that award. He is the only American designer who showed Haute Couture in Paris in over thirty years, since Mainbocher. Plus I think he's clothes are American fashion at its pinnacle. :flower:

I keep hearing all this stuff about Sean John...you know, I thought his menswear was great because, well, it actually fits. It's not about transforming into some coked out prepubescent rock male groupie (dior homme :yuk: ) or anything silly like that, it was just good, wearable clothes. Whether he designed it personally or not doesn't matter because lots of major designers don't do everything A-Z. He could have just sent out some crappy sweats a la juicy couture but he tried to inject some personality to it...so he gets my menswear nod.

It's about time Ralph Rucci got some kind of nod from the CFDA given that he's been doing great work both here and in France.

Pat Robinson really did a good job of breathing some new life into Perry E. in a way that also addressed the current financial climate. It's not exactly innovative but it doesn't have to be.

Marc's bags sell are just too cute and has anyone seen his butterfly sandals? Gotta check the windows in nyc, he gets my vote.

But at the end of the day, I'm only really happy for Ralph. I agree with some of the other posts in that the CFDA doesn't do enough to recognize the real talent that's bubbling underneath this dreamy, glossy surface that for some reason, they don't push past. I've always been in love with Benjamin Cho and As Four and I think Patrik Rzepski is really making a strong, consistent effort. A nod from the council could really help them to bring more diverse opinions to the scene and the stores.

Originally posted by datura001@Mar 31st, 2004 - 8:13 am
I've always been in love with Benjamin Cho and As Four and I think Patrik Rzepski is really making a strong, consistent effort. A nod from the council could really help them to bring more diverse opinions to the scene and the stores.
Agreed. Unfortunately,however,this list of nods makes me very wary for the future.

Also,how come,Maria Cornejo has yet to be recognized? Heaven knows,how long she's been at it and she has had some strong things the past couple seasons at that.

Its really quite ironic such talents get more recognition in Europe and Asia than here,yet still,many complain about when the next American innovative talent will arise? Duh! Its like I said,these people have a very short attention span.

Originally posted by datura001@Mar 31st, 2004 - 9:13 am
I keep hearing all this stuff about Sean John...you know, I thought his menswear was great because, well, it actually fits. It's not about transforming into some coked out prepubescent rock male groupie (dior homme :yuk: ) or anything silly like that, it was just good, wearable clothes. Whether he designed it personally or not doesn't matter because lots of major designers don't do everything A-Z. He could have just sent out some crappy sweats a la juicy couture but he tried to inject some personality to it...so he gets my menswear nod.

But don't you think his stuff is a little limited to rap artists? I mean, what about people who don't wear jeans two sizes too big and plain white t-shirts with more bling bling then should be legal? The stuff you see in stores is nothing like what you see on his runway. It's basically hip-hop inspired jeans, shirts and jackets. Besides, plenty of menswear designers inject personality, such as Hedi Slimane. I don't like his clothes at all, but you can see some of his own personal style in the clothes.

BTW, aren't industry awards such as this supposed to be based upon capability and talent?

Honestly,I see no personality in hip-hop style. Everyone is doing it--not just in labels but every high school kid in middle America is doing the look nowadays....and they all look the same. And if that's the case,why don't they go ahead and nominate the label Fubu or Phat Farm and every other hip-hop label because really,they're all the same to me. The only difference is that PD puts on Galliano-sized catwalk presentations.....so what does that spell...nothing more than frivolous hype to me.

I so agree with Scott's two posts above. :flower: I also want to add that another difference is PD has friends in high places (i.e. ALT, Anna Wintour, Phillip Bloch, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->