The Chanel Boycott

vintage_princess

Adorable illusion
Reaction score
I dont know if this has been posted already :flower:

Taken from vogue.co.uk

SOME photographers in Paris are threatening to boycott Karl Lagerfeld's Chanel show because they have been told they must wear a white shirt, black jacket and black trousers, to cover it. The reason for the dress code is that they are expected to be included in the filming of the show, footage from which is expected to appear on the forthcoming Chanel No.5 television ad, starring Nicole Kidman. However, the fact that the fashion house has reserved the right to refuse entry to any snapper not dressed correctly, is the cause of some contention. "We are used to being treated like second-class citizens even though without us, the fashion shows would be nothing," said Romanian-born freelance photographer Dan Lecca. "But I will not wear what they tell me to wear and I speak for 85 per cent of the photographers covering Paris. I will turn up as usual in combat trousers." There has been talk of photographers donning white wigs to mimic Lagerfeld's famous ponytail or even comic red noses, while others have simply complained that they do not have the required uniform with them in Paris. "I don't blame [Lagerfeld himself], because he is usually very reasonable and willing to discuss problems, and Chanel normally treats us properly. It must be Lagerfeld's organisation," goes on Lecca. Leading Italian photographer Graziano Ferrari told The Daily Telegraph that he, too, would stick to his usual clothes. "They aren't providing us with the clothes they want us to wear, they didn't ask us what we thought about it and they don't want to pay us for being in their film," he said. "It's ridiculous." The Chanel show will take place at 10.30 on Friday morning. (October 5 2004, AM)

i can't wait to see what becomes of this... :shifty:

That's a little ridiculous - they're using the event to film footage to promote another product - it's not unreasonable for Chanel to ask for their assistance since they will be IN the video...

like the photographers would miss an opportunity to get paid.

Originally posted by Misako@Oct 5 2004, 07:29 PM
That's a little ridiculous - they're using the event to film footage to promote another product - it's not unreasonable for Chanel to ask for their assistance since they will be IN the video...
[snapback]386824[/snapback]​

that's exactly right...they are "USING" this event to promote another product entirely...which means they are also "USING" the audience members...if they had to stage a fashion show for the commercial...they would have to build a set...hire all sorts of extras and stylists and provide wardrobe...etc...it would cost an absolute fortune...!!!

if they want people dressed a certain way...they should pay for it...otherwise...they should just be happy that people are covering their show... it's not the photographer's problem if they are trying to cut corners and save money by using footage from the show...

what a joke... :blink: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by strawberry daiquiri@Oct 7 2004, 05:21 PM
Here's there chance to live a bit of life on the otherside of the lens.
[snapback]389530[/snapback]​

by their chosen profession...it should be clear which side of the lens they prefer to be on... :wink: :innocent:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->