Elton John Calls for Boycott of Dolce & Gabbana

I'm not for the business of children (like choosing the child from the catalog) but saying that children are synthetic is inappropriate. It insults children what is not fair.

Yes, what they said was indeed foolish, but I feel uncomfortable with the idea of people on social media -- particularly celebrities -- being so willing to destroy these men and their brand. That's the only solution? Why is that ever the only solution in these situations?

My philosophy: People in glass houses...

if they're so embolden to make such derogatory comments about specific groups of people,then those people have every right to react to it. even if social media didn't exist,i'm sure we'd still have the same reactions. and D&G are doing this to themselves. they're the ones who are speaking out about the lives of the very people they cater.

truth told,i just don't think they care anymore.....there's no thought process it seems. they both have been vilified in the press for their tax evasion and subsequent slaps on the wrist.....the work is redundant and the business is struggling financially.

if they're so embolden to make such derogatory comments about specific groups of people,then those people have every right to react to it.

Right! They've called people fascist and hid behind the "freedom of speech"...But if you expose yourself, you have to accept the lost of buyers who disagree with you and don't want to support you more.

This is a really trash magazine, so i'm not surprised of the cover...:angry:

"GAY VS GAY"
Against Dolce e Gabbana it's started a furious campaign of delegitimization. From Elton John to Sharon Stone. Their crime?Having expressed a non-aligned opinion on homosexuality and paternity. A censorship remindful in shades that of totalitarian and obscurantist regimes

A boycott is exactly what they deserve. This is only the latest public display of ignorance, bigotry, and insensitiveness from these two. Let us not forget the debasing use of racist black imagery in their Spring 2013 collection and Stefano proudly posting on his Instagram pictures from 2013's Halloweek party of him posing with a blackfaced minstrel Allesandro Dell’Acqua and Giampaolo Sgura in blackface and tribal wear (not to mention the large amount of blackfaced attendees dressed as slaves in shackles).

Now they call CHILDREN "synthetic" and demean not just same sex but many other types of families by saying "the ONLY family is the traditional one." If a child was to call a child of IVF "synthetic" or a synonym that child would be judged cruel and reprimanded, so why should these grown adults not face the same fate?

Their derogatory actions and statements are not all that makes them so disgraceful, it is also that after each public offense they play victims or issue some half-a**ed apology where they essentially say they are not being understood. They did it with the ***** earrings, the tax evasion trial, and now with this. They have never truly apologized to those offended, admitting that even in hindsight their actions were unsettling. These are not members of society that should be rewarded.

I am happy more celebrities are speaking out against them, like now former face Madonna, and that people have begun to protest their locations. I only wish there was this great a reaction to their past racism, and that editors would not have their silence bought with D&G's ad money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Calling any child synthetic is just pure ignorance and reveals the mindset and mentality of these types of people. And, of course as already mentioned, these two idiots have done much much more offensive things than this-- but poor Elton is just offended now by their ignorance because they've insulted his child? I'm not boycotting them-- I've lost interest in anything of theirs a very long time ago.

Elton is such a vile personality-- and, when it's such a vile person going against such ignorant individuals like these two... I just don't care. It's like a fight with the two mean, stupid and entitled stepsisters of Cinderella: I can't support either since they're both such horrible people to me.

^ :lol:

every time I see him, I get flashbacks of Elton saying 'YOU ARE A VILE PIG!' at some airport to some reporter. :lol:

I think the bag thing is the beauty of quality and brilliantly machiavellian Hollywood PR that knows how to sort out a dumb client at the snap of a finger versus the apparent non-existent notion of it in Milan, who just watched their client roll like a tumbleweed on instagram lol. As simple as one team calling another team to discuss the situation, handing a bag as a sort of apology (which doesn't mean he accepted it or not but took the bag anyways), and then calling the paps.

*always a fan of conspirational theories*

Been spotting D&Gs instagram accounts, i think at least they will rise their sales in Russia, it is incredible the amount of support they have gotten from Russian followers LOL.

Anyway i agree a boycott it is exactly what they deserve.

^ :lol:

every time I see him, I get flashbacks of Elton saying 'YOU ARE A VILE PIG!' at some airport to some reporter. :lol:

I think the bag thing is the beauty of quality and brilliantly machiavellian Hollywood PR that knows how to sort out a dumb client at the snap of a finger versus the apparent non-existent notion of it in Milan, who just watched their client roll like a tumbleweed on instagram lol. As simple as one team calling another team to discuss the situation, handing a bag as a sort of apology (which doesn't mean he accepted it or not but took the bag anyways), and then calling the paps.

*always a fan of conspirational theories*

LOL

I must of subconsciously had the same thought of Elton calling some reporter a "vile pig" when describing him here! But pigs are such intelligent animals, so I'll stop at "vile" for Elton. Yes Elton, glass houses and all that...

It's kind of ironic that she said that at a GLAAD event...

^shes so full of herself

Funny you should mention that Zoe is full of herself when it's temper tantrum-happy- Elton who's the one rallying the public to boycott a brand because he feels his child has been insulted (indirectly) by them. Yes Elton, we all should boycott them for making a comment that hurt you. If that's not the definition of someone so full of himself, I don't know what is. My god, he's such an insufferable jerk, along with his equally insufferable, sniffling, weaselly mean-girl husband. God forbid his kid be made fun of at school-- Elton would likely attempt to have that kid and the kid's family executed.

Zoe's just expressing an (unpopular and un-PC) opinion-- and likely just kidding with the "I'm not giving up my Dolce", just like Dolce is sprouting their usual ignorant opinions. Elton will always be an entitled jerk.

^ There's no denying Elton's ego, but this particular cause is one that I can actually get behind. It's not just his child that D&G are insulting, IVF has been used to create millions of children. And to claim that those children and the families that they are a part of are not as valid or proper as babies born "naturally" is just offensive. That kind of point-of-view is something a public figure should know to suppress and never say out loud, because you will deservedly bear the brunt of public backlash.

Their opinions on family coupled with their collections just show how thoroughly out-of-touch and irrelevant D&G are.

No, Kanye's got an ego. Elton's just a mean jerk throwing a temper-tantrum.

And who cares what these two have to say? Their opinions and beliefs-- and it's just that: Their opinions and beliefs, along with their brand, is completely irrelevant to me. Let's boycott anyone famous for saying something incredibly dumb, insensitive and offensive.

Unless they're dedicated to their opinions to the point of taking action to legally discriminate humans born of IVF, it's just their (ignorant) opinion. Elton taking to action when their stupid sprouting hit the right nerve seems to be quite selective, doesn't it? I guess Dolce and Gabbana's anti-same sex parenthood, their tax-evasion fiasco, nor their use of offensive Black caricatures in their designs were enough for him to boycott these idiots?

Blah, I should take my own advice and just ignore these jerks. Anyway, I'm sure this gaggle of self-righteous jerks have long forgotten their squabbling and are doing brunch with Elton wearing those offensive Black caricature designs, and Dolce ogling admiringly over Elton's kid in some glass house. Poor kid.

They only used 100% natural non-synthetic children in their show. :lol:

As far as they know :rolleyes: I'm sure there are plenty of people D&G would term synthetic who don't even know anything unusual (and of course now it's the new normal) occurred.

Part of the problem may also be the language barrier. Sure some of their opinions are ... odd ... but they probably sound even worse voiced in a non-native language.

I think the backlash is coming mostly because of their comments regarding IVF and not same sex families. A lot of people would agree with them regarding the same sex marriage issue, but a lot of people would greatly disagree about the IVF comments. When they called IVF children synthetic it sounded like they meant that's these children are not truly human or that they're Frankenstein - esque. It sounded similar to a racist comment. It's the IVF comment that angered most people, the same sex marriage comments mostly just angered the fashion community (at least that's how it seems to me)

Umm, no. 55% of Americans, and nearly 8 in 10 if they're young, support same-sex marriage. I feel strongly that it's the civil rights issue of our time, and I make a point of talking about it. I have a symbol of marriage equality on my keychain. It's not an issue that affects me directly, but if people are being discriminated against, it's up to all of us to take a stand. I wouldn't say that I'm angered, but they certainly do sound like they crawled out from under a very large Italian rock.

Umm, no. 55% of Americans, and nearly 8 in 10 if they're young, support same-sex marriage. I feel strongly that it's the civil rights issue of our time, and I make a point of talking about it. I have a symbol of marriage equality on my keychain. It's not an issue that affects me directly, but if people are being discriminated against, it's up to all of us to take a stand. I wouldn't say that I'm angered, but they certainly do sound like they crawled out from under a very large Italian rock.

It just felt that way to me from seeing what's in the news and what laws they're trying to push and people's online comments(then again Yahoo is full of idiots..). It's just the vibe I get from personal experience, I most certainly may be wrong

Also, "very large Italian rock"
It's funny, ancient Romans openly practiced homosexuality and today it's not widely accepted in Italy

^ I know it was in Greece, but from what Wikipedia tells me about Rome :ninja:, it sounds like the kind of thing that would be in line with the D&G view.

And I certainly agree that it is a sad view. It really plays into the whole 'gay lifestyle' myth. If there's more than one way people are born, then there's more than one way to create a life. It's great to appreciate tradition, but, as the expression I was raised with goes, There's more than one way to skin a cat. That applies to creating a family as well as a host of other things.

Not sure what's happening there in the mitten, but in the US, it appears that legal same-sex marriage is on an unstoppable trajectory. It'll be interesting to see what the Supremes come up with.

PS Was just reading that the kids of same-sex couples apparently have often felt very relieved when their parents are able to get married. I found that interesting ... had never given thought to that perspective before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herb2024
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->