The laptop and netbook thread

Bellissima

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to buy a laptop (since it has become almost impossible for me to be without one :rolleyes: ). I wanted to ask for advice on which ones you guys recomment :Apple, Dell, etc....... I mostly want to use it for pictures, and writing. I would appreciate any help (since I trust you guys on this one :flower: ).

Thanks for all your help,

Bellissima

well, my high school is a college prep school so we had to get lap tops. as much as i would have loved to have a colorful one, mine is very very good. its the new IBM Thinkpad. its really thin, durable(trust me, haha), and light. i dont treat it as well as i should and it still looks and works like new! thats just my recommendation. :smile:

It really depends if you like Windows or Mac set up.

I prefer windows and really like Sony VAIO. I've owned about 3 VAIO computers now and didn't really have many problems with them except I've overused 2 of them to death with this desktop the only surviving :lol: I do like the look of their laptops too...simple and sleek looking specially in silver.

I'm looking into buying a new laptop as well....

This is 2 of my possibles... First from the Sony T series. Thinking of it because its small, thin (Size (W x H x D:(10.7” x 1”-1.34” x 8.1” )
and fairly light (3 lbs. maybe?) The other is from their FS series which is a XBRITE widescreen...good because I watch a ton of movies on the road and has a huge harddrive and memory to store all my junk in :blush: Even though its bigger its still light....Because who wants to carry a heavy clunker around? :rolleyes: My old lap top is a full size "desktop replacement" laptop so its fairly big...it was just to save some space on the desk, kinda heavy at around 9 lbs...definitely not something I want to carry about on the go :unsure:

VGNT350PL.jpg
T series(sonystyle.com)

img_seriesimage_FS.jpg
FS series (sonystyle.com

I have a Toshiba & have had no issues with it ... it was my brother's recommendation. You may wish to find recommendations from more technical folks elsewhere online though :P Google something like "laptop horror story" ... :wink:

go with a dell. they can also be had for fairly cheap ($800-900 fully loaded)...

opt for a dell inspiron 6000 since it offers both a small size and flexibility for upgrades..

dont fall for the Mac thing only because they look "cool".. dont get me wrong, they are well built but are waaaay overpriced.

check out www.slickdeals.net or fatwallet and they often post coupon codes for stuff like 40% off or free upgrades...

An Apple PowerBook is the way to go!

^ Yup i agree.
Since you'll be using this laptop for creative purposes as opposed to programming, I think a PowerBook would satisfy your needs, both functionally and visually!

Don't get an apple mac ibook

........ I am on some crap old computer at the moment because mines gettign fixed for the THOUSANDTH TIME:angry:

apple powerbook definintely, but don't load it up with downloads etc. t stuffs them up:innocent:

I'm glad we have this thread. I'm in the process of getting a new laptop (because the one i was supposed to get got stolen) and because i do a lot of intercontinental travel I want something light (after hauling my old one around just about kills me everytime), which is obviously more expensive. I can't decide whether i should get a cheap one that does simple word processing and is wireless for the time being or invest in something that is better quality and will probably last longer, as i'm going back to school in a year or so. This thread has given me some ideas!

i have a Toshiba Equium and its totally fine and dandy! it does everything i want it too and some extra!^_^

make sure you get a good processor pentium 4 is good and centrino is the wireless equivilent but there is a cheaper one which is celeron and doesnt perform aswell as the other two! (i dont know what processors mac use) plus always check how much memory you get but if you run out you can always get some more put in i supose but its always to get as much as you can for your money! and dont forget to ask what programmes are included in the price or you might have to fork out alot more just so you can have microsoft word/works etc.

thats all i know about computers!

but always ask the person your buying from all the questions you want because they should have all the infomation you need!:flower:

Thank you to everyone for their recommendations (you guys are sweet :flower: ). At least I have some options now....... that have been tried out ^_^

Haven't read all the posts ..so I don't know if it has been mentioned..but get a laptop with centrino technology (the centrino chip uses so little energy that it develops so little heat..and hardly needs to be cooled off so to speak, and it's the constant need to "cool off" that creates that annoying sound other laptops make) it makes your laptop virtually soundless...

acester said:
apple powerbook definintely, but don't load it up with downloads etc. t stuffs them up:innocent:

Hey, I've had several PowerBooks at work and privately during the years (my first was a 145B with 120 MB harddrive and 4 MB RAM) and I've filled them with crap without problems! :lol:

iBooks are cheaper, but also slower and more annoying in my experience.

Load it with as much memory as you can, that's the best investement you can make. I have 1,5 GB in my PB and it really makes a huge difference!

MACs give less bang for more buck (as does buying from a major brand like Sony or Dell).

It really depends how much a warranty and a flash interface are worth to you.

^ Absolutely, PoC. Macs are "designer" computers, and you do pay a premium to get one. But it's not only about the general hardware and its design, it's also about the software design and look and feel.

Glad it hasn't been mentioned yet.... definitely do not get a gateway.

I really don't like laptops at all.. but they're convenient to go...

powerbook + microsoft office for mac (if you go to school that is).

tott said:
Hey, I've had several PowerBooks at work and privately during the years (my first was a 145B with 120 MB harddrive and 4 MB RAM) and I've filled them with crap without problems! :lol:

iBooks are cheaper, but also slower and more annoying in my experience.

Load it with as much memory as you can, that's the best investement you can make. I have 1,5 GB in my PB and it really makes a huge difference!

:lol: your lucky!!! I think I have terribly bad luck with computers. About macs....they are fantastic for designing on a computer, and being quite vain(sp?:huh:) they have to look good:lol:

Ah I have always wanted to get a PowerBook simply because of its design and interface.

Unfortunately, for practicality (mostly work) I think I'll have to stick with Win XP for now..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ktkees1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->