The Makeup Help and Tips Thread

I see a difference. Better quality ingredients, better staying power, more pigmentation (with shadows, blushes, etc).

Higher-end cosmetics usually have a wider range of color selection, including those in foundation... making it easier to find a skin-tone match...

I find that higher end products last longer especially eye shadow which can tend to crease. I would say experiment a little and see what looks best on you. I love MAC studiofix as opposed to your normal foundation since my skin tends to be oily. Be careful of testing products at makeup counter though. I just read an article, allure I think, which says you can get sick from using moist products like lipstick since bacteria and viruses can be absorbed by them easily.

Other than Maybelline's Great Lash, I've always used high end cosmetics. Funny thing is though, I used Lancome's definicils for a couple of years and decided to try Great Lash on a whim, and actually think it works better for me. It seems like it doesn't dry out as quick, and is less clumpy. Of course, i have really long eyelashes to start with and use the Shu eyelash curler. I just can't justify buying Definicils anymore, it not like it works better for me.

Now, I've seen the make-up jobs done by a prfessional artist, using cheap and expensive brands in magazines before and there is a difference in eyeshadow/eyeliner, blush and lip products. Like someone else mentioned above, the pigments are much bolder/stronger, and last longer. I know one time I was in like nearly 100 degree heat indexes outside for a fair amount of time and someone came up to me and asked me what makeup I was wearing because it hadn't disappeared( i was wearing Bobbi Brown blush/lip products and powder and MAC eyeliner, and I believe Lancome concealer). I would definitely say that the expensive brands last longer, in my experience.

most make up is like paint or art supplies. lets take crayons.
crayons are frustrating mediums because no matter how hard you push you're always going to get the same value. this is because they are mostly wax and very little pigment, whereas a high quality dry pastel or something of the sort is more it is because it is more pigment and less filler.

make up is the same way. usually the more expensive and the better the quality, the more pigment you are bound to get, and therefore the less of the actual product you need to use.

I think some cheap p[roducts are just as good as the expensive ones.

It really depends on what suits your skin type - some Dior products don't suit my skin type at all, even though they're expensive.

I'd experiment, and try different stuff. You'll find your staple makeup products soon enough :smile:

I think it's a bit of a toss-up. A friend of mine suggested something from Mark, which is Avon's "young" line and shortly after that, another friend said she was selling Mark. I ordered some gloss, lip tints, and some blue eyeliner for layering. It's much better than I was expecting and quite fun stuff. I'm usually at the Lancome counter.I think you just have to experiment or get recommendations.

Make Up Issues...Any Tips?

the reason i never wear make up...

inspired by another thread...i put white sparkly highlights in the corners of my eyes...spent a little time blending...etc...
about 15 min later...something got in my eye and i started rubbing it...it felt really greasy and i was wondering why... then i remembered the make up i had just carefully put onl...which was now all over my hand...

GREAT!!!...

forget it...i touch my face way too much to keep any make up on other than mascara and lipgloss...maybe a little blush...which i usually rub off as well...
*sigh*...i look so good when i leave the house...but a few hrs later...it's all gone...

i guess i could re-apply...but it just seems like such superficial vanity to me...i don't want to spend that much time on something like that...
but i always admire those women who always look perfect...maybe i need to be more disciplined...

what do you guys think?...
and how much time do you spend putting on make up...?
and how often do you re-apply during the day or evening...?

Can anyone give me some tips or advice since this is not my area of expertise?

thx in advance... :flower:

For the eye make up issue...perhaps invest in a good sealant...

or if you don't want to bother, do a very minimal eye primarily focusing on the inner part for eyeliner and just a soft wash of color on the lid. For the lid, use only one color. but vary the heaviness of your hand. I like a nice shimmery brownish color...which I apply a bit darker directly to the lid and veeeeerrry sparingly just a bit above so it doesn't look like I just stamped my eye with color. One coat waterproof...or at least smudge proof mascara and you should be good to go!

Emi

thanks em...
but i'm not asking how to apply make up or what kind to wear...
i actually wear glasses...so that much shadow will make me look like i have a blk eye...

my question was how do i avoid rubbing my make up off...and how often do you re-apply and how much time do you spend on make up in general...

i think i just need to make more of an effort...not put on more make up...
because theoretically...i would just rub that off as well...

can anyone help?...

softgrey said:
thanks em...
i actually wear glasses...so that much shadow will make me look like i have a blk eye...

my question was how do i avoid rubbing my make up off...and how often do you re-apply and how much time do you spend on make up in general...

can anyone help?...

Well, what I was saying about the minimal eye...that's how I avoid rubbing it off, somehow for me...having less make up there and having the dark color more of the inner eye helps the rubbing factor. I don't have much of a prob. when it comes to rubbing off.

Hmm, I touch up my make up...it depends. If I'm at work, I usually don't bother, but if I'm out it could be anywhere from not at all to 2-3 times depending on what I'm doing...how hot it is...etc. It takes about 5 minutes to do my make up on any given day, and perhaps 10-15 if I'm going out (mostly because I"m eyeshadow inept and have to keep redoing it) or just feel like playing with make up. When I do touch ups, it's about 2-3 minutes because Iusually have to take a q-tip with some remover to fic any running, and then reapply whatever has been lost.

Emi

i usually wear a stain blush which doesn't rub off. I need it as I am so pale but I love rosy cheeks. Origins pinch your cheeks.

I spend 10-15 mins putting makeup on in the morning but don't reapply again all day (unless i am going out for that night or the like). Recently I have been avoiding mascara because i am liking my eyes bare (with some eyeshadow in a skintone colour so it looks nude). I always wear blush & a little bit of bronzer (again to counteract the pale) and a nude lip pencil.

I wear more makeup if I am feeling ugly. which ends up just looking worse.

advice on the eyshadow - wear matte & not sparkly and it won't rub off so easily. black/dark grey on the top lid would be great on you.

My main thing is blush - I can get away with only blush and concealer & not look tooo bad so as long as i have that I am ok.

I work with a girl who trouls on the make up. From a (long) distance she's got the flawless skin thing, but up close, it looks like she's added a couple of inches in paint build up :yuk:
I only wear mascara and some blush. You're right, you can't not touch your face during the day. Sometimes I get the crumbly mascara thing. I combat that by putting it on lightly. Anyway, shouldn't make up gently enhance what you already have, instead of making a mask of someone different?
I like to carry a couple of wet wipes in my handbag, wrapped in a bit of tin foil. This is if I am going out after work and need to freshen up, then touch-up.
Life's too short to be constantly re-touching!:flower:

softgrey said:
thanks em...

can anyone help?...

Softy- I think that you need to use some heavier duty makeup. :wink: Obviously, no makeup is rub-proof, but some are much better at staying put than others. Please read on:

Instead of highlighting your eyes with a powder, which has little staying powder, try MAC paints (Shimma might be nice for what you are using it for). Lancome Color Doses have some major hold, too. Pretty. Very hardy.

You could try mixing the shadow that you are already using with a tiny bit of Visine on your hand with a brush- apply and blend. Gives the shadow alot more hold. Maybe even check out some stage makeup, which is meant to hold up under bright lights/sweat, etc. We have tons of access to this in NYC- Rickey's:heart: Krylon- Ben Nye- Cinema Secrets- have a giant range of color and, while they are oil-based, do not have to look like clown makeup if you use a light hand.

Using a primer on your eyes before you apply anything also helps longevity. I like Benefit's Lemon Aid, others like Laura Mercier or Smashbox.

Use a lip stain instead of a lipstick- some gloss is not so much to touch up durign the day.

Instead of a powder blush, try a cream blush, a gel-based blush, or even a stain. You have consider the oiliness of your skin, so experiment.

I know you were asking how not to schmear your face and how often to touch up, etc., but when I wear makeup, I use a lot of these tricks that help it look decent until the end of the day. I promise that I am constantly touching my face, too!

The only time I ever touch up my makeup is if I have done something extravagant (usually involves rimming my eyes with a half-pound of eyeliner) and that is usually in the evening, so i will touch it up a few times a night.

Hope I could help!:flower:

I'd never think we're that much alike, Soft. :lol: I used to avoid makeup because I thought that not only it would make me look so different but also because I thought it would come out in a heartbeat. I never wore mascara on a regular basis until last year - I kept thinking that if I cried for any reason it would smudge and i'd look like a racoon.
I do tend to rub my eyes but since I started my makeup routine I've been controlling myself. I don't wear waterproof mascara - it's a pain to take it off and since I'm allergic any persistent rubbing will give me swollen eyes. You should try creamy shadows, which won't come out so easily, as well as high quality mascaras, in the likes of Dior of Helena Rubinstein (I have both and I swear by them). I don't wear blush because, again, I'm allergic and it gives me blemishes. I eventually realised that it is much more sensible to spend $30 on a single makeup item that is proved to be excellent than go for a $15 mascara which is no better than Maybelline, for instance. I never tried Revlon or L'Oreal because I'm affraid I'll just end up with a worthless product. On the other hand, if I go for Lâncome or Dior I know for sure I'll be satisfied with what I got. And Maybelline is worth for lipsticks and lipgloss. Their staying power is next to zero but I love the texture and colours.

Hit yourself every time you find your hand going anywhere near your face...

Worked wonders for me :D

Good luck!

mascara+lipgloss=perfectly beautiful. i'd reccommend smudgeproof (obviously) and maybe a liptint under a clear moisturizing gloss as the day wears on the gloss will fade to a bit more matte but you'll be left with a bit of color. Sounds like you dont have any major skin problems so go ahead and go as bare as possible-thats the best look anywho.

I don't makeup for pretty much the same reasons.
My glasses have such a dark rim that eyeshadow wouldn't show anyway. Mascara maybe would, I'm too lazy to try.
Lipgloss/lipstick would be lost on me because I'm always drinking water and licking my lips. And foundation I don't need.

I'm trying to get myself into wearing makeup, maybe I'll buy myself a mascara and a light pencil (for the undereye area). I'm game if you are :lol:

softgrey said:
i put white sparkly highlights in the corners of my eyes...spent a little time blending...etc...
about 15 min later...something got in my eye and i started rubbing it...it felt really greasy and i was wondering why... then i remembered the make up i had just carefully put onl...which was now all over my hand...

I agree w. paprika hiccup w. regards to Lancome and MAC they have superior staying power..and as Helena said matte stays better than shimmer.
What I do recommend is that you use either a eyemake up primer..it could just be a tinny bit of concealer on your eyelid as a base..then apply lose powder (or MAC's blot powder) before you apply your eyeshadow. I find that an eyeshadow that has been applied with a brush sits better than one applid with a sponge but view vary on that :wink:

If I don't make an effort w. my make-up mine is gone in no time as well..yes..I'm a face-rubber too :P

softgrey said:
i guess i could re-apply...but it just seems like such superficial vanity to me...i don't want to spend that much time on something like that...
but i always admire those women who always look perfect...maybe i need to be more disciplined...

what do you guys think?...
and how much time do you spend putting on make up...?
and how often do you re-apply during the day or evening...?

If I've used an hour (Oh yes I know :rolleyes: ) it STAYS put..and the only thing I need to reapply is lipstick/lipbalm and a bit of powder on my nose, but I can't allways be bothered to do the perfect face..

If you are scared just like me of not looking good after 2 hrs, then only use a thick concealer that blends in very well (Almay makes the BEST concealers EVER) for skin imperfections, but if your skin is great, I don't see why you would need coverage, but hey, to each their own.

Mascara is great, but please I know waterproof mascara is a hassle to take off and you can loose your lashes because of it, so use a non-crease-smudge mascara, like the one I am using right now, I swear by it seriously, it's L'Oreal Voluminous mascara, which is 10000000 times better than Lash doubling from Clinique and Fantastic lash from Cover Girl which were my faves among millions of mascaras, L'oreal Vol. doesn't go away after hours and hours and best it doesn't crease.

For gloss, I suggest you use Lancome Juicy Tubes another fave of mine, choose a shade like Miracle which is basically a clear color with very soft shimmer in it, it'll look vibrant pink in the tube, but it comes out gorgeous. This is if you don't want to mess up with reapplication, because this gloss is so sticky, it stays on for at least 2 hours. And even if you touch rub your lips, if it goes away, it won't make you look terrible since it's such a subtle gloss, yet so beautiful.

As for blush, just skip it all, it clogs pores no matter what people say, and personally I find "faking" the blushing look is just superficial and unflattering one most people. Just my personnal opinion.

I am the laziest person and when I don't wake up early, I only have like 5 minutes to do my makeup. And that are the steps I follow. And for days I want something a bit extra (when I have let's say 4 extra minutes that morning) I use Clinique's high impact eyeshadows in shades of beige (so if it creases not problem because the color is going to be so natural) in the corner of my eye, and the shade that's a shimmery white on my brow bone. Voila, I simply add on a bit of eyeliner in brown from MAC (for some weird reason, the eyeliner from MAC are really soft, especially the black, so they fade away rather quickly, but unlike the others, the brown is soft but has a lot of staying power) because black is too in-your-face chick. LOL, I know it's a scary thought, but I think brown is more universially flattering.

But from what I understand, you want to look natural (I love natural makeup looks too, I find that too much easily turns into trashy if you don't use the right techniques), but in case you are willing to try a few simple makeup looks, I suggest you try these looks which are rather simple and don't need too much re-application.

Chloe S/S 04

100119009.jpg
100119039.jpg

I really like the makeup from that Chloe show, the skin is au naturel (well there's obviously blush and eyeshadow, but just keep it all natural), the key to this gorgeous breezy look (ewwwww I sound like some cheesy Cover Girl ad) is a tinted MATTE balm, try Labello's tinted Cherry lipbalm, it delivers that gorgeous sheer semi-red lipstick look. And it's a thick lipbalm, so it won't fade away too quickly and reapplication shouldn't be complicated.

Helmut Lang S/S 05

00530f.jpg
00500f.jpg

Skip the bronzer, go for the soft shimmer in the inner corner of the eye and under the eye and a soft muted fuschia sheer lipstick (try Cover Girl lipslicks which are slightly tinted lipbalms).

Stella McCartney S/S 05

00050f.jpg
00380f.jpg

Fresh looking skin and a sheer pink gloss (try a sheer liplacquer from MAC).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->