The Makeup Help and Tips Thread

i like this make up..without all the shadow...but i like the face and the shimmer inside the eye and the lip...etc...

and this is more representative of how i look and my colouring...dark hair...even darker than this...big dark eyes and very pale skin..but more olive-y...sort of...

soft pink gloss doesn't work so well with my mostly black wardrobe ...
plus...it's wintertime in the city...i need something more agressive and more polished...

all the suggestions about gloss and mascara are great...but that's basically what i've been doing all my life..and i think it's time to step it up a notch and start looking more like a grown up...

for example...i have a presentation to give on friday...and i want to wear something really great...and i just think the outfit doesn't look finished without hair and make up...i mean...who wears $700 shoes and then doesn't bother to do their face???...

i'm thinking about tinted moisturizer...as opposed to base...i prefer a sheer look...so i guess a moisturizer is better than full base...

as for blush...the trouble with all those stains...is that they STAIN...
:blink:
i really need blush...i get so pale in the winter and with an olive/yellow mediterranean skintone...i look like a completely different person with a touch of blush and colour on my lips...it's basically the difference btw looking alive and looking like a corpse...:ninja:

i might try the suggestion helena a someone else made about a natural shadow on the eye...this might be a good compromise..since maarit and i have that eyewear issue...B) ...

...i really think i am going to have to re-apply...and do touch ups...
and slap myself :wink: :lol:

thanks for all the tips ladies...you all are most helpful...i could use some more... i don't have a sister or anyone to discuss this with really...:heart: :flower:

Attachments

• valhrmkup.jpg
    valhrmkup.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 9
Ok, so you want something more "grown up" Softie? So choose the looks you like out of this list (I chose these according to the description of your own features) and I'll tell you how to achieve them:

1) Gucci S/S 05

00040f.jpg
00320f.jpg

2) Emilio Pucci S/S 05

00010f.jpg
00610f.jpg

3) Rochas S/S 05

00040f.jpg
00460f.jpg

4) Gucci F/W 04

00070f.jpg
00420f.jpg

5) Louis Vuitton F/W 04

00320f.jpg
00340f.jpg

6) YSL F/W 04

00140f.jpg
00310f.jpg

7) Zac Posen F/W 04

100126689.jpg
100126711.jpg

For lipcolor why don't you try a lip pen from Sephora or YSL? It's a stain that you draw on and it really lasts so you don't have to apply as often. I just bought three different shades from Sephora and they are great.

Also, have you tried the mascara Diorshow? It's the best and really makes the eyes stand out. It would go nicely with the natural eyeshadow you mentioned.

I suggested these two products bc of their superior staying power...I hope it helps. Oh, and stop touching your face!!!

LOL...haha luxmode...thanks..!!!...

kimkhuu...you are too sweet...thank you for posting all those pictures...

that's not really the kind of tips i need though...
i'm trying to get more of an idea of how much time i need to spend on this...
so i can budget my time and allow enough to get ready...

so lets say...
tinted moisturiser...
light powder...
a little brown eyeliner pencil towards outer corner...
blk mascara...top and bottom...comb lashes...apply 2nd coat...top only...
natural shadow on lid ...
shimmer highlighter on brow...
powder blush on cheeks...and a bit on brow and temples...
tinted lipgloss...sheer burgundy shine...

does this sound ok?...is this the right order to apply?...should i do mascara first or shadow?...and now long should this take me to do?...
how often should i expect to re-touch...like...
how often should i check my face?...i don't want to pull out a mirror every 5 minutes...but is once an hour good or every other hour...or what?
just generally speaking...

and another issue...i feel like when it's really cold...that the wind literally blows the make up off my face...and then if you put a scarf over your face...you rub off your blush and your lipgloss gets stuck on your scarf...
am i the only one having these issues?...how do people manage?...

1) It is normal that your scarf or hair gets in your face with wind, there's nothing really you can do about it, just pull your scarf so it gets stuck under your chin so there's less chance of it scrubbing your blush or foundation. And if you're wearing gloss, then I guess just stick your lips together when you feel that it's gonna get wiped away by the scarf or hair. :lol:

2) Mascara ALWAYS comes after eyeshadow. That's like the most important rule ever. Because otherwise, the powder is going to stick on the mascara and you're going to end up with "powdery" lashes which is very unflattering.

3) This is the order in which your makeup should be applied (should take you no more than 10 minutes:(

1-tinted moisturiser... (blend with your fingers so the tint "melts in you fingers", remember to blend like crazy, that's the best thing you can do tp ypur skin)
2-light powder... (not necessary if the tinted moisturizer is sufficient)
3-powder blush on cheeks...and a bit on brow and temples...
4-shimmer highlighter on brow...
5-natural shadow on lid ...
6-a little brown eyeliner pencil towards outer corner...
7-blk mascara...top and bottom...comb lashes...apply 2nd coat...top only...(I suggest you skip the mascara on bottom lashes, usually ends up looking clownish and you'll have to check your makeup even more frequently because it can easily crease)
8-tinted lipgloss...sheer burgundy shine... (great color choice)

For gloss, expect to retouch every 2-3 hours, powder every 2 to 3 hours, eyeshadow every 3 hours. The rest shouldn't require retouching.

yay...thanks kimkhuu...that helps me so much...
but it takes me forever to properly do my mascara...since my eyes are my best feature...i like to highlight them...and don't worry...i go light on the bottom...usually just the few lashes at the corner...gives a fake lash cat-eye effect...very subtle...might skip it if i'm wearing liner now though...haven't worn liner for years...

wait...i forgot cover up/concelaer...
what about that?...i need something under my eyes...i have a good one i got recently that i like...but does that come after the tinted moisturizer and before the light powder?...

i put the powder because otherwise my skin feels greasy from the mosturizer and the rest of the make up doesn't go on nicely...should i stop doing that?...maybe that's why the make up isn't 'sticking' to my skin?...

thanks for all the help...!!

Concealer and Cover up/Foundation/Powder goes in this order : foundation first, then concealer and/or cover up (because if you put concealer before foundation, when rubbing the foundation on your skin to blend it in, the covering effect of the concealer will be diminished), and finally powder (because it doesn't rub any of the foundation nor concealer off and adds on staying power to your makeup and finishes the skin).

Obviously, blush goes on after the powder. ^_^

Ugh, no you're doing it right, powder should go on after foundation, that's a fundamental rule.

softgrey said:
so lets say...
tinted moisturiser...
light powder...
a little brown eyeliner pencil towards outer corner...
blk mascara...top and bottom...comb lashes...apply 2nd coat...top only...
natural shadow on lid ...
shimmer highlighter on brow...
powder blush on cheeks...and a bit on brow and temples...
tinted lipgloss...sheer burgundy shine...
...and now long should this take me to do?...
Because your out of practice I'd say 45 min and hour Softie :flower:
softgrey said:
how often should i expect to re-touch...like...
how often should i check my face?...i don't want to pull out a mirror every 5 minutes...but is once an hour good or every other hour...or what?
just generally speaking...
Sneak a peak when you walk by reflective surfaces and every time you go to the bathroom. I think you should be all right every 2nd hour.
softgrey said:
and another issue...i feel like when it's really cold...that the wind literally blows the make up off my face...and then if you put a scarf over your face...you rub off your blush and your lipgloss gets stuck on your scarf...
am i the only one having these issues?...how do people manage?...
Nope we all have those issues...some manage by not carring and others do touch ups :P
softgrey said:
but it takes me forever to properly do my mascara...since my eyes are my best feature...i like to highlight them...and don't worry...i go light on the bottom...usually just the few lashes at the corner...gives a fake lash cat-eye effect...very subtle...might skip it if i'm wearing liner now though...haven't worn liner for years...
The bottom lash mascara / liner you have to apply very delicately because for me atleast if I don't..that is the first place my make-up with smear
softgrey said:
wait...i forgot cover up/concelaer...
what about that?...i need something under my eyes...i have a good one i got recently that i like...but does that come after the tinted moisturizer and before the light powder?...
i put the powder because otherwise my skin feels greasy from the mosturizer and the rest of the make up doesn't go on nicely...should i stop doing that?...maybe that's why the make up isn't 'sticking' to my skin?...
thanks for all the help...!!
No, powder shouldn't be the cause why your make-up isn't sticking (it's a setter), could just be that your skin is a little bit oily ?
I'd suggest a foundation primer but since your just using a tinted moisturizer and not foundation, I'm not sure that would help..If it wasn't for the fact that cold NY winter winds demand a very creamy and protective moisturizer I would have adviced you to pick a lighter one..:unsure:

ok..i'm going to practice today...i think it will take 45 min...it always looks better when you spend more time...i guess...plus have to add time to pluck and shape brows...

going to have a spa day i think...

hanne...definitely combination skin...oily and dry in places...that why the combination of the moisturiser and powder...need both...

thanks for all the tips...i'm sure i'll thinnk of more questions...

here's one...how often do you guys get a manicure /pedicure?...
do you do it yourself or go someplace...?
what kind of place do you go?..a hair salon...a nail salon... a spa?...
and on average...how much do you spend on each...

your favourite nail colours?...fingers?...toes?...
is it different from season to season or always the same?...

thanks again... :flower: :heart:

I bought this recently at Sephora and I really like it. It's different than any of the blotting papers I've tried bc it doesn't disturb you're makeup. They are twice the size of a normal blotting paper and great for those oily areas. From their website:

"Absorb excess oil without disturbing your makeup using finely woven linen made from 100% natural leaf fibers from the exotic Abaca tree plant. One of nature's most powerful antioxidants, Green Tea, has been infused to soothe, protect and freshen your skin."

$9.00 for 100 sheets

54l.gif

thx luxmode...i have some rice paper blotting sheets...it's true...they are very small and i wind up using a bunch...

i like that brand...i have several of their products that i have been experimenting with...they seem to be all natural and come with an expiration date...

the bigger papers are a good idea...i will look for them... :flower:

Softie, I hear you completely on the face-touching thing. I knew that I touched my face, but I didn't really know how often until I took this drawing course over the summer. Oh man, the first homework assignment was in charcoal and I finished it in probably 3-5 hours without getting up or seeing any mirrors despite my roomate's laughter. I finally looked at the end...and there was charcoal everywhere--face, neck, arms, feet, anywhere that was exposed. I seriously looked like I'd come from a day working in the mines. :lol: :rotfl: Oh man, I did it every single time. :P

I think I've gotten a bit better about touching my face, but I know that I definitely still do it a lot. This thread is quite helpful, although I must admit that I don't use a lot of the products that have been mentioned. Softgrey, I know that you're not alone in your questioning and I'm glad that you started the topic, because I think it sets up some essential things to know about makeup application that lots of people wonder about but might not have anyone to ask. :flower: Ok, I'm rambling...good luck with your makeup adventures!

cool...thanks eloes...
good to know i'm not alone...glad if this basic info helps others too... :heart: :flower:

since this is a 101 thread, can anybody help me?
how are you supposed to apply Touche Eclat to the undereye area? Does it work without foundation and powder? :ninja:

maarit said:
since this is a 101 thread, can anybody help me?
how are you supposed to apply Touche Eclat to the undereye area? Does it work without foundation and powder? :ninja:

Hi Maarit!
Only eyecreme goes under the touch eclat..( I dont think applying foundation before the touch eclat could hurt..but there is the build up issue to consider) so the skin is nice and moist, after the eyecreme has sunk in..you apply touch eclat..DONT apply powder untop..powder will bring out any tinny little lines you may have (?).
Basically what touch eclat does is lightening the area..it will not completely remove dark undereye circles. (a better option for covering dark undereye circles would be Laura Mercier's secret concealer imo).

:flower:

what's touch eclat?...and what's it for?...is it good?... :huh: :unsure:

^ OMG Softie you're absolutely lost when it comes to makeup. :lol: I love you dear! :heart:

Touche eclat is by YSL is a highlighter that reflects light to hide away blemishes and uneven skin. You can do a lot of other things with it like creating the appearance of a thinner nose, fuller lips......

yeah kimkhuu...LOL...
i admit it doesn't really turn me on the way it does for some people...
and every time i'm on a shoot and ask a make up artist for tips..they just tell me i don't need make up really...*sigh*...
they say that when you have dark hair and dark brows and lashes...that it's like naturally having make up on...becuase your face is framed and your features are highlighted...so just a cheek and lip...(how boring is that?!?!...)...

i've never coloured my hair either...because it's so dark...people always ask me what colour i use and whether it's natural...
part of me feels like i'm missing out on this big ritualistic part of being a girl... :unsure: :lol:

i'm very low maintenance...but i'm willing to put in some effort if the results are worthwhile... :flower:

oh...and as much as i splurge on clothing...i'm totally cheap when it comes to make up...i cannot STAND wasting money...and since i don't know what is good...i hate buying stuff i'm not sure about...spending $30-$50...and then realizing it doesn't work...so i have to go buy something else and spend even more $$$...i might as well take $100 and throw it in the trash... :( :cry:
especially since i'm rather clueless...

that's why i think it's important to ask around before splurging...you have no idea how much crap i have in my bathroom...that i don't even touch...so i just stopped for now until i figure out what i'm doing...

you know what i mean???... :blush:

thx for the info on touche eclat too btw... :flower: :heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nationalsalt
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->