The Official "I Did NOT Get In and I Need Some Encouragement!" Thread

Manuva

congratulations, nerds.
Reaction score
Can there be an official I didn't get in thread:(

Applied to LCF BA Hons Fashion Journalism, and just found out...

Aww ... so sorry! :cry:

I think that you certainly could start a thread ... maybe entitled it "I Did Not Get In and I Need Some Encouragement!" ... so that others can empathize, share stories and help you decide what to do next.

Aww ... so sorry! :cry:

I think that you certainly could start a thread ... maybe entitled it "I Did Not Get In and I Need Some Encouragement!" ... so that others can empathize, share stories and help you decide what to do next.

Thank you:flower: That's a really good idea, i'm sure there are a few more TFS'ers in a similar scenario, I think I may try and get an internship at a magazine and work from there, and really build up some experience.

^O_O.

We def. need a "did not get in, needs LOTS of encouragement" thread, since the letters are starting to come in and will culminate next week.

><

Thank you:flower: That's a really good idea, i'm sure there are a few more TFS'ers in a similar scenario, I think I may try and get an internship at a magazine and work from there, and really build up some experience.

Don't you have any second or third options? Although I can't think of any other Universities that do Fashion Journalism in London.

Anyway, internships are great, I learnt things via internships I would never have learnt at University.

Last edited by a moderator:
I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope I don't post here next Monday or anytime from now to then.

Don't you have any second or third options? Although I can't think of any other Universities that do Fashion Journalism in London.

Anyway, internships are great, I learnt things via internships I would never have learnt at University.
I have Epsom as a back up, and a seperate course at Kingston. But Epsom did really impress me, but I haven't heard too much about it generally though...
I'm going to start calling some magazines though, and hopefully get some options. But I so can't decide what would be best, to go to Epsom, or just try and work at magazines for those three years...

Here is my encouragement ... you did not get in because the universe does not think you should go there, simple as that :wink: Look at the doors and windows that are still open :flower:

You could also look at schools with journalism and fashion departments. You could be a journalism major and a fashion minor, for example ... or just take fashion classes as electives (like I did). I was an English Composition major, and that's a good background for writing too ...

I didn't get in to LCF either... Just found out as well :(

I only applied for the BA Fashion Promotion course so I don't have a plan B. Gooooooood I feel like punching someone. Any volunteers?

:cry:

Hey,

Can you take a short course? Or do foundation there? It shows them you are serious and committed to the course...and it will sharpen your skills.

I didn't do foundation at LCF, but some of my classmates did, and they say it was by far the most positive part of their uni experience...ahem.

Thank you for all the kind advice :flower:
fashionista-ta, I do already have a place on a Journalism course, it's a sandwich course with Film Studies (just personal interest more than anything), that I'm also considering. But I do have a Fashion Journalism place at Epsom, but I'm just not sure it has the same weight with in the industry as say, LCF.

milkncookies, I suggest writing to the course leader and getting some feedback as to what went wrong, and what you could improve on (that's what I've done).

sprigged, I actually have already done a short course there, around two years ago now and unfortunately there's no foundation for Fashion Journalism, which seems abit silly but still...

In my field, I know a lot of people who don't have degrees at all. In my group, I'm the only one who does. I've been working for about 20 years now, and it's not too long before what people want to know what you've done vs where you went. Right now, no one cares where I went, or that I was Phi Beta Kappa (American honors society, not a sorority :wink:). It's not too soon to start building your portfolio :wink: You could even start right here at tFS.

PS Who knows, maybe you're meant to meet someone who will be important in your career or life at one of your "backups," and so it was important that you not get in someplace that would prevent you from going there.

Manuva - thanks for the advice! I e-mailed her like you suggested so we'll see :flower:

fashionista-ta - I know, you're probably right. I'm just so dissapointed, I was really counting on gettning in. I think that I'm going to move to London anyway and try to get an internship or a job within fashion promotion. And just take it from there you know..

yes definately check out the TFS networking thread, I spotted a London internship there at McQueen. Does the other one outside of london (can't think of their name) offer it? I hear good things about Kingston...

I'm sure lots of you have seen this since newspapers reprint it every year since it was written, but since you wanted encouragement, here goes ^_^

The college rejection letter
By David Nyhan
March 10, 2008

Former Globe columnist the late David Nyhan wrote the following column in 1987. Since then, it has been reprinted in the newspaper and online many times around this time of year. Nyhan died in January 2005.

THE REJECTIONS arrive this time of year in thin, cheap envelopes, some with a crummy window for name and address, as if it were a bill, and none with the thick packet you'd hoped for.

''Dear So-and-so:

''The admissions committee gave full consideration . . . but I regret to inform you we will be unable to offer you a place in the Class of 2012." Lots of applicants, limited number of spaces, blah blah blah, good luck with your undergraduate career. Very truly yours, Assistant Dean Blowhard, rejection writer, Old Overshoe U.

This is the season of college acceptance letters. So it's also the time of rejection. You're in or you're out. Today is the day you learn how life is not like high school. To the Ins, who got where they wanted to go: Congrats, great, good luck, have a nice life, see you later. The rest of this is for the Outs.

You sort of felt it was coming. Your SAT scores weren't the greatest. Your transcript had some holes in it. You wondered what your teachers' recommendations would really say, or imply. And you can't help thinking about that essay you finished at 2 o'clock in the morning of the day you absolutely had to mail in your application, that essay which was, well, a little weird.

Maybe you could have pulled that C in sociology up to a B-minus. Maybe you shouldn't have quit soccer to get a job to pay for your gas. Maybe it was that down period during sophomore year when you had mono and didn't talk to your teachers for three months while you vegged out. What difference does it make what it was? It still hurts.

It hurts where you feel pain most: inside. It's not like the usual heartache that kids have, the kind other people can't see. An alcoholic parent, a secret shame, a gaping wound in the family fabric, these are things one can carry to school and mask with a grin, a wisecrack, a scowl, a just-don't-mess-with-me-today attitude.

But everybody knows where you got in and where you didn't. Sure, the letter comes to the house. But eventually you've still got to face your friends. ''Any mail for me?" is like asking for a knuckle sandwich. Thanks a lot for the kick in the teeth. What a bummer.

How do you tell kids at school? That's the hard part. The squeals in the corridor from the kids who got in someplace desirable. The supercilious puss on the ones who got early acceptance or the girl whose old man has an in at Old Ivy.

There's the class doofus who suddenly becomes the first nerd accepted at Princeton, the 125-pound wrestling jock who, surprise, surprise, got into MIT. But what about you?

You've heard about special treatment for this category or that category, alumni kids on a legacy ticket or affirmative action luckouts or rebounders or oboe players. Maybe they were trying to fill certain slots. But you're not a slot. You're you. They can look at your grades and weigh your scores and see how many years you were in French Club. But they can't look into your head, or into your heart. They can't check out the guts department.

This is the important thing: They didn't reject you. They rejected your resume. They gave some other kid the benefit of the doubt. Maybe that kid deserved a break. Don't you deserve a break? Sure. You'll get one. Maybe this is the reality check you needed. Maybe the school that does take you will be good. Maybe this is the day you start to grow up.

Look at some people who've accomplished a lot and see where they started. Ronald Reagan? Eureka College. Jesse Jackson? They wouldn't let him play quarterback in the Big Ten, so he quit Illinois for North Carolina A & T. Do you know that the recently retired chairmen and CEOs of both General Motors and General Electric graduated from UMass? Bob Dole? He went to Washburn Municipal University.

The former minority leader of the United States Senate, Tom Daschle, went to South Dakota State. The former speaker of the US House of Representatives, J. Dennis Hastert, went to Northern Illinois University. Dick Armey, the former House majority leader, took a bachelor's degree from Jamestown College. Winston Churchill? He was so slow a learner that they used to write to his mother to come take this boy off our hands.

I know what you think: Spare me the sympathy. It still hurts. But let's keep this in perspective. What did Magic Johnson say to the little boy who also tested HIV positive? ''You've got to have a positive attitude." What happens when you don't keep a positive attitude? Don't ask.

This college thing? What happened is that you rubbed up against the reality of big-time, maybe big-name, institutions. Some they pick, some they don't. You lost. It'll happen again, but let's hope it won't have the awful kick. You'll get tossed by a girlfriend or boyfriend. You won't get the job or the promotion you think you deserve. Some disease may pluck you from life's fast lane and pin you to a bed, a wheelchair, a coffin. That happens.

Bad habits you can change; bad luck is nothing you can do anything about.

Does it mean you're not a good person? People like you, if not your resume. There's no one else that can be you. Plenty of people think you're special now, or will think that, once they get to know you. Because you are.

And the admissions department that said no? Screw them. You've got a life to lead.
boston.com

i just have to say that this is the cutest and most lovely idea for a thread that i have seen in a very long time on tFS...

big hug to manuva...:muscles:...

:heart:

mundodabolsa - actually, It did help :smile:.
And I agree with you softgrey, why hasn't anyone thought of this thread before?

Btw, what are you guys thinkning, should I move to London or New York? NYC feels sooo far away from home and I'm just turning 19 hah.. but it since the industry is bigger there.. I don't know, what do you think?

Thanks for the article mundodablosa :flower:

It's important to remember that we are not numbers.
We are not SAT scores, we are not letter grades.
We are not a piece of paper, a resume, a recommendation.

We are all unique individuals that will somehow find the time and the place where we belong. What might feel like a great fit now could quite possibly end up being hades.

For example- a college rep for a local private university told us of how she went to Harvard after having never visited, going purely on a name.
And, she said, they were the worst and most unahppy four years of her life. :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->