This Past Decade

Enigma89

Reaction score
Just wanted to start a discussion about the bigger trends and movement that fashion has happened in the past decade. My Internets is on the frits right now so I can't get everything I want down, but I did want to start the discussion.

I did want to mention one thing. The creation of Dior Homme with Hedi Slimane and then the transition of the company to KVA where it is still bumping around to find its feel.

That is the one big thing that stands out in my mind, what about for you?

A major thing of course was the exiting of Tom Ford and De Sole and the transitioning from a high-end luxury house to what it is today. It kind of signified the times considering this recession and no one at such a commercial fashion house would pay for the prices so Frida turned into something that resembles Guess in these days. I believe around this time is when H&M grew much bigger and started this real fast fashion deal which I'm not sure if it is helping or hindering the industry. Also, the control of Galliano's creativity.

I was so tempted to start a similar thread myself...
What can I say this has been the first decade I have been really interested in fashion, buying my first (of many) copies of Vogue back in 2002. Thus I lack the ability to compare it to anyhting else, but suppose I see things with fresh eyes. Firstly I think fashion in its most basic form has moved on. Things are far skinnier (for better or for worse) glossy, and bordering on the technological. But there are a few key points in this decade which have very big significance.

The Business - As mentioned above I neither care nor appreciate it but its without question Ford and De Soles exit of the Gucci group was major. The two luxury goods giants LVMH and Gucci Group I think you could argue have summed up the business side of fashion this decade. With GG buying up Alexander McQueen, Stella McCartney, and Balenciaga and LVMH placing Marc Jacobs and John Galliano at the helm of Vuitton and Dior respictevely have had certainly the biggest impact.

The shows - the shows are now totally different, enormous blockbuster shows have taken place of the old fashioned salon style presentations. Also the politics of the front row have been an endless fascination for fashion enthusiasts.

The technology - Words can't begin to fathom the impact the internet has had on the way we consume fashion. From visualising it to purchasing it, its effect is undeniable. Now with the likes of McQueen and Guesquiere I think we may start to see this concept being put into clothing

The celebrity - One of the worst things to come out of the 00's in my opinion. Something I really hope we leave there too!

This was the decade where couture continued dieing. Where high-end fashion houses needed to find a way to compete with H&M taking over, which in the first half of the decade resulted in the logo fad, I think. Look at me, I am wearing LV, CD, CC, FF! Galliano gained momentum and then sold his soul to boredom. Ghesquiere and MJ became the ones to watch. Prada took over as the number one directional brand, even when she's not 'we' still see her like that. Valentino retired, Tom Ford left. Hmm what else? :P

this decade, in stark contrast to the nineties, brought back the return to individual dressing. we have forgotten the days of the black-on-black uniform. the head-to-toe look. we're exiting a decade where we have bonafide fashion authorities. no longer will we all change our hemlines and silhouettes because karl lagerfeld said so. no longer will we all buy into peep toes and bowling bags because miuccia dreamed it up. we live in an era where silky printed balenciaga dresses look just as chic as proenza schouler monochromatic stovepipes.

fashion has become so democratic that there exist entire subcultures devoted to one look or that and cults of devotees to houses people have never heard of. in the nineties, we all knew diesel jeans at first glance. these days, the only jeans that stand out remain the ones no one can identify. the too-cool rick owens crowd sits in easy judgement of the new-money gucci crowd who sits glaring at the preppy rag and bone bunch who roll their eyes at the prim prorsum bunch.

for the first time since the eighties, really, it's become equally correct to get really dressed up and dress really really down. it's okay to go back and fourth and mix the very very high with the very very low. that's the decade as i see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->