UK Elle February 2021 : Gemma Chan by Marcin Kempski

There's something very Vogue Nippon circa 2007 about this. I like!

I googled 'Vogue Nippon 2007' and this was the first result, so... :lol:

l6hU0ex.png

ebay.com

UK Elle February 2021

Now You See Her

Photographer: Marcin Kempski
Stylist: Jenny Kennedy
Hair: Tomi Roppongi
Makeup: Pamela Cochrane
Cast: Gemma Chan

UK Elle Digital Edition

UK Elle February 2021

Brave New World

Photographer: Laurie Bartley
Stylist: Aurelia Donaldson
Hair: Hiroshi Matsushita
Makeup: Pamela Cochrane
Cast: Primrose Archer

UK Elle Digital Edition

What is it with these rags styling Asian women to resemble 5yos??? First Awkafina, and now Gemma… On a positive note, it’s nice to see some Western publication actually acknowledges that Asians exists by giving them a cover. So a polite yay for ELLE UK… ( And LOL @ELLE’s on the downlow snub of SJW with “The New Narcissism: How Activism Replaced Selfie Culture”…)

Rushed to read this yesterday and must say I'm surprised they went there considering their audience are the very ones who do that sort of thing. Considering they have done exactly the same thing. How is an influencer posing for an activism post any different to Elle's special edition cover with essential workers? Both are means to an end - one to amass followers and likes, the other to amass sales or get people to buy a ton of stuff they don't particularly need.

So sorry, get off your high horse, Elle.

^^^ They’re all on their gimmicky high-horse-- as long as it sells.

Don’t think they’re aware of-- or even care about their contradictions/hypocrisy, Benn. And it’s exactly why I love that coverline. It’s all so surface-level for them, and generally their readers. We’re in an era now where people’s general attitude moves from one social/political issue to the next depending on whatever’s trending on people's feed; and rags following with “The Animal Issue”/“The Empowerment Issue”/“The Age Issue” etc etc is exactly what works in these days of 15sec attention span. How many will actually take the time to research and come to their own opinions of any current social/political issues?

I’m sorry but some of the quotes they prominently featured in Gemma’s editorial provide a very jarring juxtaposition with the pictures

“At one point as a child, my Dad was homeless” while the picture is showing Gemma donning a vibrant, color-blocking outfit. I mean...choices.

A truly gorgeous and vibrant newsstand cover, very reminiscent of Elle Italia and vintage Elle covers indeed. It's just so bright and eye-catching, sparks joy with thanks to the styling and mad layout. Not to mention how refreshing it is to see Asian representation on British newsstands!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->