UK Harper's Bazaar July 2017 : Ashley Graham by Alexi Lubomirski

ChicSaks

Reaction score
2017_05_29_4_03_11.png

theashleygraham / instagram

Body confident and yet we see no body

I thought that was Eva Mendes, not Ashley.

Finally a cover from British Harper's Bazaar which feels fresh and somewhat relevant with what's going on in the world (and outside the walls of a stately home). Ashley Graham's a much-welcomed sight here and for once, I'm actually keen to see more from the issue!

Is this the newsstand cover? It doesn't look standard (no eye contact), but it's interesting. I like the colours.

Body confident but no body. Shame on Harpers.

She does have a fantastic face, I think, with that generic brunette beauty that worked so well for Cindy Crawford. So if this were anyone other than someone making a career out of "body confidence", I'd think it was a great cover.

This trend of fashion magazines continually telling us how wonderful someone's body is, while making a big effort to hide their body... I now put those cover stories straight into my mental wastebasket.

the whole team should be embarrassed for having the nerve to zoom in on her face while supposedly celebrating Ashley and her body. The shot also looks like the beginning of the ed, not the cover. Enough with the '150 years' rubbish, they've only been called Harper's Bazaar for a decade or so, we all still remember Harper's & Queen! It only makes sense on the American edition.

Hang on this is the newsstand cover???? How underwhelming! Body politics aside, I don't think the shot actually works for this edition. But it's something different, and if it can win the likes of Vogue28 over as a reprieve, then I suppose it's fine.
Not to be mean, but I find all the magazine coverage Ashley seems to be getting a bit proportionate to her runway and campaign career. Especially in the UK. If she is in fact this trailblazing crusader undoing the status quo of fashion modelling, how come we don't see her booking campaign after campaign then?

Thanks for posting the link, Kate! :heart: I don't like the styling, it's very lazy for British Harper's. All good and well if they want to use simple denim pieces, but set in a studio would've been perfect. No need for a garden bench.

Enough with the '150 years' rubbish, they've only been called Harper's Bazaar for a decade or so, we all still remember Harper's & Queen! It only makes sense on the American edition.

Love Justine Picardie to bits, but I do side-eye the fact that the UK edition seems also to be celebrating the anniversary. In a way it feels like dishonesty from a marketing perspective. An impulse buyer might be under the impression that this specific edition is 150 years old, when they are in fact 88yo (debatable).

Subscribers Cover:

Bazaar_039-1.jpg

HQ:

SCANS BY VOGUE28

Review - 218 Pages.

TRUE TO FORM
Cover Star: Ashley Graham
Photographer: Alexi Lubomirski
Stylist: Miranda Almond
16 Pages

GIRLS' WEEKEND

Models: Katlin Aas &
Valerija Kelava
Photographer: Agata Pospieszynska
Stylist: Charlie Harrington
16 Photos

SHOULDER TO SHOULDER

Models: Astrid Elizabeth Hatt, Diana Veras, Emma Breschi, Frances Dunscombe,
Jade Parfitt, Jan de Villeneuve, Molly Constable & Neelam Gill
Photographer: Erik Madigan Heck
Stylist: Leith Clark
16 Photos

BAZAAR BEAUTY/EMBRACE YOUR BODY
Model: Hannah Ferguson
Photographer: Richard Phibbs
Stylist: Anna Rosa Vitiello
8 Photos

Hang on this is the newsstand cover???? How underwhelming! Body politics aside, I don't think the shot actually works for this edition. But it's something different, and if it can win the likes of Vogue28 over as a reprieve, then I suppose it's fine.
Not to be mean, but I find all the magazine coverage Ashley seems to be getting a bit proportionate to her runway and campaign career. Especially in the UK. If she is in fact this trailblazing crusader undoing the status quo of fashion modelling, how come we don't see her booking campaign after campaign then?

Thanks for posting the link, Kate! :heart: I don't like the styling, it's very lazy for British Harper's. All good and well if they want to use simple denim pieces, but set in a studio would've been perfect. No need for a garden bench.

Love Justine Picardie to bits, but I do side-eye the fact that the UK edition seems also to be celebrating the anniversary. In a way it feels like dishonesty from a marketing perspective. An impulse buyer might be under the impression that this specific edition is 150 years old, when they are in fact 88yo (debatable).

So true! it's just like Kate Upton, colossal magazine coverage and covers for little to no campaign and runway work. Ashley is kind of one those pseudo-models who may or may not have steadily worked previously, but through media exposure has been bestowed as a supermodel and is suddenly on the ANTM judging panel when really she's done limited work. She's a great icon for diversity, and a hard working and kind person, but until i see her steadily booking more than pro bono magazine shoots, i'm reluctant to call her a trailblazer. To be clear, i want her to book more than that as well, because i genuinely want to see her consistently booking big fashion campaigns.

Justine's use of the '150' is odd, but Aussie Bazaar were even sneakier and recently reprinted a feature from the British edition about the history of the magazine and their anniversary, when the whole article was specifically referencing Bazaar UK and not the Australian edition at all. I found that really cheap, why cheat your readers and print something commemorating an entirely different magazine?

I love both the newsstand and the subscribers cover! :heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->