UK Harper's Bazaar July 2017 : Ashley Graham by Alexi Lubomirski

Wasn't really looking forward to this when I heard it was Ashley, who seemed like a really strange choice for Bazaar UK anyway, but I'm pleasantly surprised that I like both covers (though I agree the whole body confident thing is getting pretty old). Much better than her British Vogue cover.

I like both covers but it would have been better if they had chosen a full body picture when they are talking about body confidence on the cover...And she indeed reminds me of Eva Mendes on the newsstand one.

Enough with the '150 years' rubbish, they've only been called Harper's Bazaar for a decade or so, we all still remember Harper's & Queen! It only makes sense on the American edition.

It sounds like they're trying to rewrite the magazine's history to edit Lucy Yeomans out of the picture.

I like both covers but it would have been better if they had chosen a full body picture when they are talking about body confidence on the cover...And she indeed reminds me of Eva Mendes on the newsstand one.

I feel like the body police demands that every full figure woman be like photographed in full body mode. It's a obvious by the second cover that they weren't trying to hide her body. They showcased her body and her beautiful face on the different covers. Why is everything a controversy?!

I feel like the body police demands that every full figure woman be like photographed in full body mode. It's a obvious by the second cover that they weren't trying to hide her body. They showcased her body and her beautiful face on the different covers. Why is everything a controversy?!

But to put the words 'body confident' on the cover while zooming in on her face seems like a contradiction, as if they're trying to capitalise on the push for diverse body shapes while simultaneously not actually putting that on the cover. To then put a half body shot on the subscriber's cover is not taking risk at all, they don't have to worry about newsstand sales or actually making an impact. If we ever do reach a time when magazines will put a beautiful model like Ashley on the cover without having to refer to her as 'body confident', then you're totally right, but as long as magazines continue to go half in, they should be held accountable for their contradictions. Why is it they can put Rosie Huntington Whitely or Lindsey Wixson on the cover without feeling the need to label them 'body confident' but they feel the need to with Ashley? It's the hypocrisy of the whole thing which irritates me.

The subscribers cover is beautiful. The close up cover just highlights how terrible her US Glamour cover is :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->