UK Harper's Bazaar May 2022 : Alicia Vikander by Betina Du Toit

vogue28

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
No special subscribers cover this month but I'm not complaining...

SCAN BY VOGUE28

Pretty cover, but I'll always be surprised at how poorly Alicia's beauty translates in photoshoots. She's absolutely gorgeous but I think the only cover of hers I've ever really liked is her first US Vogue one by David Sims.

Also, I just did a quick Google and I'm so surprised by just how many magazine covers she's had! Two US Vogue, a Vanity Fair, British Vogue, US Bazaar, another UK Bazaar in addition to this new one, a whole bunch of Elle covers all over the world, and other magazines too I'm sure. Maybe I'm missing something, but I didn't realise she was that big of a star, or that people are that interested in her? She kind of falls under the radar to me... I can only think of the Tomb Raider reboot and her Louis Vuitton ads off the top of my head. Fair play to her, and I don't mean to discredit her at all, I just didn't know she was so popular.

‘OMG what is that?’

when I think I’ve seen her worse BAM I’m proven wrong. A T R O C I O U S

if I didn’t know better I could say ‘maybe it’s hay fever’ but we all know Alicia can’t pose even if her life depended on it.

When she emerged as a new star, she probably got an initial blast of media coverage thanks to the studios, and then the Louis Vuitton contract took over and kept the ball rolling in fashion magazines. She never seems that interested in cultivating the media, so it's a strange choice of spokesperson. Perhaps Vuitton feels she represents that Kristen Stewart style of celebrity, 'too cool for this type of thing', except Vikander comes across as detached and uninterested. At least when someone like Kim Kardashian is on a cover, she wants to be there, and we see that.

But I'm glad the cover is not another reprint from US Bazaar, which would have been worse than this.

I actually don't mind this especially considering what she has produced in the past.

Looks like one of those phone selfie covers they did during the covid peak.

She's still doesn't learn how to pose in the front of camera as a cover girl.

The interview and editorial is online. Alicia is styled, what a surprise, in Louis Vuitton.

alicia-lead-1649078000.jpg
alicia-vikander8-1649069390.jpg
alicia-vikander-1649075494.jpg
alicia-vikander13-1649075928.jpg
alicia-vikander4-1649067228.jpg
alicia-vikander-5-1649067425.jpg
alicia-vikander6-1649068247.jpg
alicia-vikander7-1649068545.jpg
alicia-vikander-9-1649069617.jpg
alicia-vikander12-1649075336.jpg

harpersbazaar.com/uk

Were it not for the fact that I am neither a journalist nor incredibly rude, I'd love to interview her just to ask, 'Why do you always look like you suffer from mal du siècle? Are you from the 19th century?'

NORTH STAR
Photography:
Betina Du Toit
Styling: Tania Rat-Patron
Hair: George Northwood
Make-up: Kelly Cornwell
Model/Celebrity: Alicia Vikander

UK Harper's Bazaar Digital Edition

THE GRASS, THE THICKET &THE FRUIT-TREE WILD
Photography:
Lynette Garland
Styling: Leith Clark
Hair: Philippe Tholimet
Make-up: Natsumi Narita
Model: Vaughan Elizabeth Ollier

This reprint from US Harper’s Bazaar March 2022 is dedicated to my eternal love, @aracic! :heart:

STILL WATERS RUN DEEP
Photography:
Leslie Zhang
Styling: Jeff Lee
Hair: Wang Hai
Make-up: Lu Wang
Model: Estelle Chen

Finally, an editorial that's worth seeing again. Really looking forward to seeing that one in print.

No subscription copy yet, but looking through this online - the editor is married to a war correspondent who is currently in Kyiv, and in her short editor's letter, she briefly touches on the subject of whether fashion magazines should be mentioning such issues, a moment of self-reflection that I haven't seen in any other magazine I've been reading at the moment.

The entire issue is very true to its theme - there are spring/summer florals throughout, and it feel very English. I much prefer the drama of autumn, but I'll not say no to the optimism of delicate colours. There are various features throughout the issue about art and painting and the suchlike. Not a keeper but an interesting read for an afternoon.

Apparently there will be an Ultimate Travel Guide with the June issue (out 4th May) and it reminds me that not many UK magazines are managing to produce supplements in these straitened days. The UK version of Vanity Fair seems to have absorbed the content of its once-regular Travel supplement into the main issue, and only Tatler seems to be keeping to its calendar of separate supplements for schools, surgery, jewellery etc.

For me, this feels like a return to form for British Harper's Bazaar! After last month's horrid reprint, the sight of such a pretty, delicate and season-appropriate cover is a much-welcomed sight and feels somewhat reminiscent of what Porter used to produce. I love it - Alicia as cover star included.

HB did a similar cover with Carey Mulligan that also used spring blossoms as a framing technique. That cover must have sold well. I prefer that cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awhetstone1018
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->