UK Vogue March 2018 : Gigi Hadid & Bella Hadid by Steven Meisel

the shot of xie chaoyu in "let there be light" is stunning :smile:

Binx and Kaia basically have the same ed.

Ok that's the strongest work I've yet seen from Kaia. Look at that editorial! The energy in her poses, the way they're not just random, but actually favouring the clothes. Her expressions!

You can't say this girl isn't a model.

Concerned about her age, but excited about her potential.

It’s very flat for a March issue.

I doubt Edward has it in him to establish a new Vogue— or whatever it is he’s pitching, cuz all I see is more of the same old same old that's from the Alexandra reign and his residency at W. (Getting rid of the perpetual "grey" seamless for so many shoots would be a good start...)

There are some signs of new life, but it’s so much more filler than killer, as usual. I have to admit Kaia’s shoot with Meisel— as typical of his signature as it is, is really rather stunning in its simplicity: She looks the part of a memorable model here. Every shot is so strong. The other story with strong imagery is Helen Mirren by Emma Summerton. It’s just too bad it’s a feature and not a proper editorial: Helen is shot so casually but effortlessly oozes drama.

Art direction still reeks of couldn't-be-bothered cheapness tho (and please stop with Bella. Next to Gigi, she’s such a cosmetic/digital mess.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I received my subscription copy yesterday - Bella's cover - and I feel a lot of these images look better on the printed page than they do as scans. And it has the heft of a March issue (or what passes for a 'big issue' in these days of slow magazine decline).

Right? This happens often with me, as well. I might not not like what i see online, but in print, it works! :blush::doh:

This is not a bad March issue, Kaia is a star, and that ed proves it, hopeuflly it's not just the Meisel effect. And the spread with Mirren is just gorgeous.

I do feel like Edward can push it more, and deliver better. Here is to September. :lol:

Wasn't it just two or three weeks ago that Conde Nast was issuing its new code of conduct, stating all models must be 18+? :rolleyes:
Unless maybe Kaia is featured here as part of a profile... could that be the reason she's not on the cover?

^ Reading the cover story about Gigi & Bella it's pretty clear they have always been planned for the cover , CN also said there are some content in March issue that will not apply to those new rules, since it was shoot way before, and they couldn't pull it from the printers. So there will be stuff in US Vogue March issue, too.

Kaia's editorial is really glorious; I just wish it were longer. Love each image and I hope that Joe will continue to work with Meisel here (might become more frequent an occurrence given that Weber is now on the blacklist). I also like what M&M did with Venetia; some of the images are a little static and repetitive but I dig the S/S 2005 vibe VS went for. The later edits are a bit drab (don't get me started on the Prada story...what a waste!)

The cover really looks quite vibrant in real life with the gold masthead, and luckily there are lots of (Meisel's) ads to flick through at the very least!

That ed with Kaia is so Vogue Italia (it looks like the ballerina ed with Gemma Ward). I'm surprised that Edward didn't styled the cover and the Meisel eds. Anyway, I'm very glad to see Joe McKenna working with Steven again. 5 Stars Ed!

Say what you will but Kaia can model. I see so much potential.

All the Vogues have lost identity and are indistinguishable from one another, sad/boring times.

Say what you will about Kaia. From the notion that she's too young--as if we all have forgotten the fact that most of our favorite models started modeling at 15 or even 14--to the supposed nepotism, to her pageanty vibe...I mean, yes, those arguments are valid, but after seeing her ed, I wish Edward would take the risk of putting the first image on the cover. Does it look like any other Meisel's studio shoots? Yes. Does she evoke more emotions and pose better than the Hadids and Kendalls of the world combined? Yes. Oh, Edward. What a missed opportunity.

It is a good issue...Maybe his most consistent issue since he started but it still doesn't have a real impact or identity.
In a way, he has to rely on stars in order to make it "good".

Meisel + Kaia is a good way to attract people and it is a good ed but it is almost too easy.

He is a curator but not an editor yet.

I feel like it took Steven to get the model out of Kaia. Cindy has said she wishes she had gotten the cool Meisel eds...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->