UK Vogue November 2020 : Serena Williams by Zoe Ghertner

When I first saw this on Instagram. I really thought she had grabbed the November cover of US Vogue!! This is stunning, but not very BRITISH VOGUE! Looks like US Vogue shot by Mario Testino (similar looking to Kate Upton cover (2014) that was given to Kim K last minute).

I quite like the image, Serena looks beautiful and I’m excited to see her land British Vogue. This layout, however, leaves a lot to be desired.

What’s with the tiny font? There’s such a massive contrast between how small the headlines are and how big Serena’s name is, making the cover feel very unbalanced. The new agency they hired are just doing what the previous designer did...but worse. This looks like a supplement.

Simple, and beautiful, the only thing that bothers is me is that blatant visibility of the watch, come on!

I like to see Serena, but this seems like yet another Vogue masterclass in how to produce a cover shot in less than twenty seconds. It's nice - but there's nothing more.

I'm currently getting back into my Liz Tilberis-era British Vogues, which generally used a very simple cover formula - but to stunning effect. They prove, over and over again, that a 'clean' Vogue cover with lots of blank space can work artistically and have commercial appeal, but the fewer elements you use, the more you need to get them just right.

this picture is so amazingly average!!!

and that cover line, ‘Still wining’? what exactly because that I know of, this year she won only at Auckland and before that she won the Australian Open in 2017.

I know she was a Mom too and of course she’s a tennis legend and an unbelievable sportswoman but...

what she has ‘won’ this year was another Nike campaign, a Stuart Weitzman one and the obvious Audemars Piguet on her wrist meaning that she has been an Ambassador of the brand since 2014... she keeps ‘winning’ for sure.

it’s a hard pass for me, let’s see the editorials.

I love how soft the image looks. Is it very american? Hell yeah, but i just can't dislike it.

Her face looks gorgeous and, although her body looks phenomenal as usual, I like how it isn't the main focus of the image.

Je4D.gif

So much for the rumor thread... LOL

To add a proper opinion now, I don't like it. I don't like the watch, I don't like the cropping and how the text surrounds her, it's very amateur and very empty and dull. Less isn't always more... It could've been better.

However, my biggest problem is Edward's inconsistency. Line up all of British Vogue covers and literally nothing goes together. It's such a mess of crap; you jump from Steven Meisel's vintage glam to British landscapes and then some Hawkesworth portraits and then a black and white collage, a disgustingly lit shot in the forrest and now a completely minimalistic off-brand image. It makes no sense!
Although there is a certain sense of identity in editorials because most of his issues have fairly similar vibes, it doesn't reflect on the cover and it bothers me.

It looks decent. Although I think Serena's US Vogue cover by Annie from 2015 was much stronger.

I'm getting so bored of the comments about Edward's Americanization of Vogue :rolleyes:. The amount of time Alexandra's Vogue looked like 'Red' or 'Good Housekeeping' (remember that awful Amber cover?)...big deal if some of his covers look polished and very direct!

This is really bland. The styling, the photography... really bland. What a shame.

To add a proper opinion now, I don't like it. I don't like the watch, I don't like the cropping and how the text surrounds her, it's very amateur and very empty and dull. Less isn't always more... It could've been better.

However, my biggest problem is Edward's inconsistency. Line up all of British Vogue covers and literally nothing goes together. It's such a mess of crap; you jump from Steven Meisel's vintage glam to British landscapes and then some Hawkesworth portraits and then a black and white collage, a disgustingly lit shot in the forrest and now a completely minimalistic off-brand image. It makes no sense!
Although there is a certain sense of identity in editorials because most of his issues have fairly similar vibes, it doesn't reflect on the cover and it bothers me.

^THIS!

Edward’s covers have been constantly inconsistent. British Vogue has no identity. Like @aracic said the editorials are consistent but not the covers and the covers still define the magazine’s heart/ core/ ‘persona’.

The photo is ok. A bit boring but she looks pretty. The art direction is also very nice. So a solid B for me.

The light looks too bright. Look at how she's squinting! That looks bad on the photographer. Her body also looks slightly distorted. Once again all the blame is on the photographer. After looking at Zoe's body of work it's safe to say a Vogue cover is out of her league.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->