US Bazaar September 2004 : Gisele Bundchen

I guess what I mean is, it is a fashion magazine that doesn't take itself so seriously. They don't drone on for 8 pages about a pair of pants and insert references that 99.9% of the populace wouldn't recognize. You're not going to learn as much as you might reading Vogue or another more in-depth fashion publication, but I like the fun articles talking about what's in people's closets, who is going to be carrying what bag, and that the stories are written in an easy-to-read, fun format. Admittedly, Bazaar is more celeb-centric than other fashion magazines, but I don't think someone would be lost if Bazaar was the only fashion mag they read. I think the editorials are really nice, they feature lovely and high-profile models, and the style of writing is not over the top and pretentious. I'm just not that snobby about these magazines (not that someone who doesn't read Bazaar is); I don't need to learn a novel's worth of information everytime I flip through one. However, reading American Vogue, which I know some others think is a horrid publication, makes up for any info not included in Bazaar, as I find the articles very in-depth and informative. And that is my 18-page thesis on why I like Harper's Bazaar. :rolleyes:

That's all fine and good, and I don't think every fashion magazine has to be overly serious. However, Bazaar has a very long tradition of being the intelligent, professional woman's choice. In the 90's, it was the alternative to Vogue (which was perhaps too outlandish in its fashion coverage), and Elle (which was seen as too young-spirited). It was pragmatic, it was chic, and it was worldly. That sophisticated Bazaar woman is still around (though lord knows what she reads nowadays). She wants politics, architecture, travel, film, art, music, and other topics that would so easily blend into a magazine.

Fashion on its own is totally boring to me. And a magazine that relies solely on fashion features will likewise be dull and vapid. Fashion gets interesting when paired with any of the topics I mentioned above. Bazaar lacks the vitality and scope that it could once confidently claim as its own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->