US Harper's Bazaar November 2023 : Leanne de Haan by Amy Troost

That dream died a long time ago when Liz Tilberis passed. Because whatever Glenda offered was the beginning of a nightmare.

I’m convinced this Bazaar despises high fashion— and beauty and travel, and dreams, and its “creative” team wouldn’t know art direction if their lives depended on it. This Bazaar is so desperate to be poignantly intellectual, social and political and yet hilariously clueless on all these matters when Samira exposes her plush privileged life with her pro-Palestine posts that having “no water and electricity is the most inhumane thing she’s ever seen” LMFAO …Lady, there are people living day to day in 2023 without water and electricity all over the world— even in some parts of the USA in 2023… And you know what? This Bazaar should shoot on-location on a bus, in a strip mall, amongst outlet malls and supermarkets, in abandoned malls all over the US, welfare office, in housing projects… Maybe even shoot in some place in the Appalachian community where some don’t have :gasp:running water and electricity:gasp:

(And despite all this Bazaar’s phoney baloney realness, it’s still more distinctive and even interesting than whatever all the western Vogues have become.)
Samira's Bazaar is the perfect magazine representation of every generic, ignorant social justice sheep online. It is so unhinged as to be almost satire.

Maybe even shoot in some place in the Appalachian community where some don’t have :gasp:running water and electricity:gasp:
NO, leave Appalachian men out of this, they need to stay pure and into 19th century activities (mining, chopping wood :exhaling:).

Seriously, I was left without water, without electricity, under 43 degree celsius, in 2020 (plain lockdown), and with ash showers from the nearby fires. But no one's ready for this conversation!!

(On the other hand, I did not have to share my space with a squatter with unresolved trauma and did have internet on my phone :holdingbacktears:)

Samira's Bazaar is the perfect magazine representation of every generic, ignorant social justice sheep online. It is so unhinged as to be almost satire.

Her “…no running water and no electricity is the most inhumane thing I’ve ever seen” post had to be satire LOL It ranks right next to Cher Horowitz refusing to lay down on the dirty parking lot while being robbed at gunpoint because “This is an Alaia”. (It’s another reason to find Samira’s Bazaar so cluelessly charming. I stan.)

^^^There’s no way that Bazaar in 2023 could/would sell anywhere equal to, let alone exceed sales of Bazaar of the 2000s-2010s, an era of pre-socials where fashion publications still dictated and profited hugely from it.

Had Liz returned from fashion heaven and Fabien took the CD reign again, their Bazaar wouldn’t pull numbers the way that they did back in the 90s— and likely relegated to a niche readership of biannual publications: Says a lot of the current state of fashion magazines when someone like Fabien Baron isn’t a highly-sought after editor. The American fashionscape is so vastly different than what it once was— and for the absolute worse. Attitudes of the masses have changed so much towards high fashion and its accompanying medium: These mainstream fashion publications are mere, desperate followers and panderers to the masses, instead of once fashion leaders.

^^^There’s no way that Bazaar in 2023 could/would sell anywhere equal to, let alone exceed sales of Bazaar of the 2000s-2010s, an era of pre-socials where fashion publications still dictated and profited hugely from it.

Had Liz returned from fashion heaven and Fabien took the CD reign again, their Bazaar wouldn’t pull numbers the way that they did back in the 90s— and likely relegated to a niche readership of biannual publications: Says a lot of the current state of fashion magazines when someone like Fabien Baron isn’t a highly-sought after editor. The American fashionscape is so vastly different than what it once was— and for the absolute worse. Attitudes of the masses have changed so much towards high fashion and its accompanying medium: These mainstream fashion publications are mere, desperate followers and panderers to the masses, instead of once fashion leaders.
Do you think that good taste has gone out the window because the visual landscape has been so polluted and oversaturated by social media that people just don't know what a good image/quality clothing/high art even is? I think about this topic all the time, and it seems astounding to me how the idea of sophistication has disintegrated since around, say, 2010. It feels that Vogue, for example, has more or less become a replacement for Teen Vogue -- but then, why would a print magazine want to appeal to teenagers when the actual teenagers are all on TikTok?

^^^ Bad taste and a brand of chaotic aesthetic that challenges conventional refinement and sophistication will still rise to the top as a new creative offering of refinement and sophistication, when it comes from a place of experience and skilled talent. Both Carine’s and Emmanuelle’s Vogues were actually very defiant of traditions and punk rock in attitude. But they always managed to understand to approach its aesthetic from understanding, appreciating and respecting the structures of the past, of traditions, and of experience.

These days, the laziness comes from fear of offending, and in turn being cancelled by the casual fashion fan and the masses, thus losing revenue and their status, that the fashion industry— and in particular, print has stooped to the lowest level of creative hell. The “work” that’s produced, presented and propagated as the “vision” of a new (diverse and inclusive LOL) generation is the sloppy amateur creativity of when I was learning and in school and on ModelMayhem 2008. That sort of inexperienced, juvenile and utterly undisciplined, mediocrity of a production is now a staple of these publications and pushed as worthy successors of the masterclass creative vision that came before it. I can’t even fathom any of today’s fashion imageries being preserved and entombed as an inspirational standard for future higher learning— other than the virtue-signalling of being the first Black/trans/plus size/Muslim/non-binary etc etc to be on a cover, or shoot a cover. That's not talent.

I also wouldn’t attribute that much weight to social media. It’s the corporatization of fashion - lack of independent design, suppression of creativity in the name of profit, proliferation of conglomerate/monopoly dynamics, dumbing down consumers and shifting their notions of luxury to something easily understood such as logos and other status-for-dummies elements. Do this repeatedly and aggressively and soon enough, sophistication in taste, ideas, questions, thoughts, all goes out the window. 'Good taste' is really just discerning, having discriminatory ideas and making choices around a certain standard. It’s consequently incompatible with choices that need to be minimized (under a standard reduced to almost zero) for a conglomerate to function effectively.

I also wouldn’t attribute that much weight to social media. It’s the corporatization of fashion - lack of independent design, suppression of creativity in the name of profit, proliferation of conglomerate/monopoly dynamics, dumbing down consumers and shifting their notions of luxury to something easily understood such as logos and other status-for-dummies elements. Do this repeatedly and aggressively and soon enough, sophistication in taste, ideas, questions, thoughts, all goes out the window. 'Good taste' is really just discerning, having discriminatory ideas and making choices around a certain standard. It’s consequently incompatible with choices that need to be minimized (under a standard reduced to almost zero) for a conglomerate to function effectively.
Very interesting point, and I've often wondered if someday LVMH would just buy the rights to the Vogue brand, put out a biannual magazine and turn it into a glorified catalogue of sorts. For a company with a market cap of $373 billion +, it'd be a drop in the bucket.

Anyway, I spiraled the other day reading the comments section of a Diet Prada post (I know I should really never do this, as it is completely maddening). The young people who consider themselves fashion fans today are so unbelievably ignorant and are so quick to offer their completely uninformed -- yet unwavering -- opinion on everything that I find it breathtaking. @Phuel , it made me think of your point about laziness, in that everything and everyone is LAZY. They can't even be bothered to do a basic google search to learn a little context for anything. (This is what made me think of social media and the downfall of fashion media).

BTW, the coverstory… is decent. Not a glowing endorsement, but there’s this plaintive attitude that’s very early-90s Corinne Day/Kate Moss/Juergen Teller that’s rather charming. At least it’s possessed of a personality. The surprise hit story of this issue is Bryan Liston’s “Wild At Heart” shot on location in France’s northern coast. Nothing glamorous, still very on-brand with this Bazaar’s plaintive attitude, but just simply beautiful and sunny. Someone remarked that Samira never smiles— and this story smiles, shines and shimmers. It deserves way more than just 10 pages.

132 pages.

BTW, the coverstory… is decent. Not a glowing endorsement, but there’s this plaintive attitude that’s very early-90s Corinne Day/Kate Moss/Juergen Teller that’s rather charming. At least it’s possessed of a personality. The surprise hit story of this issue is Bryan Liston’s “Wild At Heart” shot on location in France’s northern coast. Nothing glamorous, still very on-brand with this Bazaar’s plaintive attitude, but just simply beautiful and sunny. Someone remarked that Samira never smiles— and this story smiles, shines and shimmers. It deserves way more than just 10 pages.

132 pages.
Who is the model in "Wild At Heart"? Thank you in advance.

Rare Form
Model: Leanne de Haan
Styling : Caroline Newell
Photo: Amy Troost

Bazaar US digital

132 pages.
Thank you for responding about the model I was questioning. Looks like someone deleted your and my responses.

I wonder who was supposed to get the cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadxreminders
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->