US Harper's Bazaar October 2019 : Demi Moore by Mariano Vivanco

Aside from this instance the previous issues have been pretty good ever since they did their re-design. Christopher von Steinbach did wonders for Playboy.

I picked up an issue with Ezra Miller a few months ago and was STUNNED. It was a gorgeous editorial.

Given that we're still waiting to see the rest of the contents... I have nothing against men's magazines or going beyond that, magazines with actual sexual content. Every type of print publishing contains something of interest to me. I've read them, I've bought them, and the one thing I've observed over the decades is:

When titty mags go tasteful, you can be sure they are in their death throes.

Back when times were good, men's magazines were gloriously tacky. Over the decades, Playboy has always tried to maintain a veneer of sophistication to elevate it over its rivals, but even it became brasher as time went on. Pamela Anderson is probably one of its most famous stars... and none of her covers would be winning awards for good taste.

And now the men's mag market is mostly swept away, apart from Maxim, where the publisher thinks owning a publication is a good way to get dates with models, and Playboy, which is dining out on its dwindling legend, now that Hef has gone and the mansion is in the hands of people who will see it as a property development project. Everything that made the brand larger than life is turning to dust.

And so we have a redesign of the American edition. One where they weren't using nudes anymore... until they were. One were they were arty and tasteful... until they needed the clout of Kylie Jenner to get them back in the news. The magazine is like a fish out of water now, flip-flapping around.

Most of the images they currently produce wouldn't be out of place in a coffee table book or even in some women's magazines. After all, Vogue Paris is no stranger to the erotic side of fashion. But what section of the market wants "nice"? If Playboy's new readership are the people who buy fashion mags, it's already got one foot in the same grave as US Glamour and UK Marie Claire.

Shocking cover, actually. Not the nudity, but the taste level.

The cover and the editorial look straight out of a local community culture magazine. Santa Barbara Style, Palm Beach Quarterly, Palm Springs Lifestyle, blah blah blah...I mean...even that is being generous, frankly.

4.jpg

The Best New Outerwear

Photographer: Txema Yeste
Fashion Editor: Joanna Hillman
Hair: Joey George
Make-up: Tyron Machhausen
Model: Dilone

Harper's Bazaar Digital Edition

Demi Moore Reveals All

Photographer: Mariano Vivanco
Fashion Editor: Miguel Enamorado
Hair: Gregory Russell
Make-up: Jo Strettell
Manicure: Emi Kudo
Cast: Demi Moore

The New Dynasties

Photographer: Morelli Brothers
Fashion Editor: Joanna Hillman
Hair: Clyde Haygood
Make-up: Patrick Ta (Hadid), Ash K Holm (Jenner)
Cast: Yolanda Hadid, Marc Hertle and Kris Jenner

Call of the Wild

Photographer: David Yarrow
Fashion Editor: Patrick Mackie
Hair & Make-up: Orli Meiri
Model: Nyamuoch Girwath

Portrait of a Lady

Photographer: Pari Dukovic
Fashion Editor: Amanda Alagem
Hair: Roberto Di Cuia
Make-up: Kabuki
Model: Steffy Argelich

This is a joke. Ony David's editorial is good. Txema's one is almost the same than last month. The other ones... even Paper magazine can do it better.

And my God! Mariano's work is next level of bad...

What a cheap remake of Meisel's dSquared ad

I always get the impression Txema pitches his concepts after playing Xbox or after watching some tacky Disney remake: Snow Queen in the arctic after watching Frozen, Kim K as a warrior goddess after watching Gods Of Egypt, and now— Lara Croft in the Arctic. He’s so hamfisted and literal with his shoots. And his shoots always look so cheap despite his expensive ambitions. This one is so laughable fake with the model digitally inserted onto the background I wonder if it was shot on a discount rate.

Txema, along with Mariano and the Morelli Brothers truly have found their home with Glenda’s Bazaar. Let’s keep all these types contained in her cheap rag like the publication’s equivalent of a gross Pandora’s Box.

(I always feel bad for bashing Glenda since she makes it so so so easy.)

I don’t mind the Txema edit because very commercial glamour is what Bazaar does best these days and because I know that things can get so much worse as is evident by the rest of the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->