US Vogue April 2022 : Bella Hadid by Ethan James Green

Vogue Magazine is having amazing covers lately so now the only thing that’s missing is their issues to be thick.
Yes! I really like their covers during the last year. They step away from the Annie/Mario aesthetic (with their retouched pictures). And I see more colors in the composition (bacground, font and masthead). I noticed at the same time thaf Vogue USA and MX are sharing the same (and hot, hahaha) artistic director, but it fails in Vogue MX, which used to have a beautiful art direction. I dislike all their covers (for Latam) since November. I refuse to share those magazines in my Instagram. We went from those gorgeous covers with Christy Turlington, Anna de Armas, etc. to the present. Did really US Vogue got better while the other editions started to decline in quality? Seems true and unfair. This global deal should stop.

Of course, there are « supermodels », more like industry darlings like Adut, Vittoria and Rianne. But they are like Raquel Zimmermann, Carmen Kass, Karolina Kurkova or even people like Pat Cleveland, Farida Khelfa , Liya Kebede or Sasha Pivarova and others…

I think Gigi was a child model first and then her mother got attention with her show on tv. The first time I knew about Gigi was the Pirelli Calendar of 2015 by Steven Meisel. She was the unknown model of the bunch and the youngest one. Then she started to be everywhere. And it took Bella a year to follow her way, when she appeared in VP and VI at the same time in their September Issue and lots of campaigns over that year. Love both of them since then and are the girls from the "nepo group" I like a lot.

And about the fashion darlings, what can we expect from American Vogue since the early 2000s when they went into celebs? At least all these girls like Raquel, Carolyn, Liya, Sasha, Jessica... (and the long list I write in Naomi's thread) were on the covers of VI and VP (mostly, and that's why were the most beloved by us) and the others editions. The real fashion were in Franca and Carine-Alt's magazines. US Vogue is Hollywood press (and Gigi and Bella are part of that culture), but is a fun magazine to look.

I think Gigi was a child model first and then her mother got attention with her show on tv. The first time I knew about Gigi was the Pirelli Calendar of 2015 by Steven Meisel. She was the unknown model of the bunch and the youngest one. Then she started to be everywhere. And it took Bella a year to follow her way, when she appeared in VP and VI at the same time in their September Issue and lots of campaigns over that year. Love both of them since then and are the girls from the "nepo group" I like a lot.

And about the fashion darlings, what can we expect from American Vogue since the early 2000s when they went into celebs? At least all these girls like Raquel, Carolyn, Liya, Sasha, Jessica... (and the long list I write in Naomi's thread) were on the covers of VI and VP (mostly, and that's why were the most beloved by us) and the others editions. The real fashion were in Franca and Carine-Alt's magazines. US Vogue is Hollywood press (and Gigi and Bella are part of that culture), but is a fun magazine to look.
I knew about her thanks to her cover of CR Fashion book and I think that year Carine put her in a bunch of Tom Ford campaigns.
I noticed Bella when she walked the Tom Ford show in LA if I remember…

I didn’t know about the reality tv connection that’s why I was surprised by the criticism. I mean the Kardashian were global but the Real Housewives not so much…

I must say that I’m impressed in the way Bella and Gigi handled their careers. They had great mentors indeed but they worked. Kendall who a much more agressive start had a much more disappointing career. She is not considered as a model but still very much as an influencer in the fashion circles.

VP and VI were more elitist. It was easier for them to put models…
And tbh, fashion was much more elitist in the 00’s but yet much more covered in the medias. That’s how someone like Karolina Kurkova, Carmen Kass or Liya Kebede had covers.

I must say this: social media offers the possibility for girls to market themselves in the same way as the « Nepotism girls ». Look at the rise to fame of someone like Adut. As long as you have a story…Everybody is on board.

The new Raquel will either be Rianne or Vittoria. They are both versatile.

I must say that the current landscape of magazines is not doing service to models. Everybody got multi covers nowadays. So a girl can only make a name for herself through edgy publications like M le Monde or runway shows/campaigns.

Why would it be insane she was already getting some celebrity and dating a pop star at this point. Don’t get me wrong but you know they had a bit knee up to start…
I mean the hype around Carine post VP, even in 2014 was still high. And she is one of those people who matters, thanks to her relationships with some designers and brands…

That being said, the way their mother « groomed » them for modeling seems a bit weird.
is it that weird though? maybe I got too used to these types through work but this type of mom who wants so badly to see their kids achieve something they were not capable of achieving is not rare.. they’re abundant in fields like the film industry and dance (where ‘dance mom’ is a whole, scary term), which exist in every large city.. they will go to lengths that will jeopardize their kids’ health, development, future, all in the name of a career the child is not even fully aware of or just accepts because that’s all he/she is ever heard of and kids around them do it or want to do it so.. it makes perfect sense to them.

I worked with some families like that in LA (who actually knew the Hadids) so.. it’s not that I normalize it but every place has a culture that seems bizarre to outsiders when it’s really not that brutal once you’re in it (since you don’t know any better). Even if their mother had never done a reality show, Gigi and Bella were bound for the spotlight (maybe not massive modeling careers but social media influencers at the least), many of the less modelesque people they went to school with are all in entertainment, podcasters or ‘instagram celebrities’.. I know having an unconventional nose sounds empowering but that is not something Bella (or anyone for that matter), in that type of environment, could afford to have. 14 is too young to, like she said, f*ck with your face but an eating disorder will have consequences for life (and they’re rampant in some countries more than in orders), ballet, gymnastics.. it’s a vulnerable point in development. Whatever. I think the mom IS irresponsible but then.. did she even go to school? it’s no wonder this is what she values above all things and wanted nothing but the best outcome IN that field for her two daughters..

(also, I think these clips are partly scripted just so the simple-minded reality tv viewers fully grasp the narrative of modeling/high fashion=two spoons of mashed celery a day, a teaspoon of cake, etc).

In typical US Vogue fashion, a few of the editorial photos would have been better for the cover....

I knew about her thanks to her cover of CR Fashion book and I think that year Carine put her in a bunch of Tom Ford campaigns.
I noticed Bella when she walked the Tom Ford show in LA if I remember…

I didn’t know about the reality tv connection that’s why I was surprised by the criticism. I mean the Kardashian were global but the Real Housewives not so much…

I must say that I’m impressed in the way Bella and Gigi handled their careers. They had great mentors indeed but they worked. Kendall who a much more agressive start had a much more disappointing career. She is not considered as a model but still very much as an influencer in the fashion circles.

VP and VI were more elitist. It was easier for them to put models…
And tbh, fashion was much more elitist in the 00’s but yet much more covered in the medias. That’s how someone like Karolina Kurkova, Carmen Kass or Liya Kebede had covers.

I must say this: social media offers the possibility for girls to market themselves in the same way as the « Nepotism girls ». Look at the rise to fame of someone like Adut. As long as you have a story…Everybody is on board.

The new Raquel will either be Rianne or Vittoria. They are both versatile.

I must say that the current landscape of magazines is not doing service to models. Everybody got multi covers nowadays. So a girl can only make a name for herself through edgy publications like M le Monde or runway shows/campaigns.

I mean the hype around Carine post VP, even in 2014 was still high. And she is one of those people who matters, thanks to her relationships with some designers and brands…
I mean she was not completely unknown before carine gave her a chance she was already Instagram famous - anyway same with Kendall we have carine to blame!

When Isabeli Fontana did a Vogue US interview, Vogue US called her a top model....
now Vogue US calls Bella as Super model?
What's wrong with these blind fashion insiders?

When Isabeli Fontana did a Vogue US interview, Vogue US called her a top model....
now Vogue US calls Bella as Super model?
What's wrong with these blind fashion insiders?

Ah yes, Isabella, the original nepo model :P

Nepotism has always been in fashion. ALWAYS. The reason Vogue was created in the first place was because of the public fascination of high society and what they wore. Bella's place in fashion is well earned and deserved. I'm proud of her achievements and that she's finally scored a US vogue solo cover. You go girl!

I just can't get over how unattractive I think she looks...her face is too long, eyes too close and she looks so surgically enhanced like Khloe Kardashian.

I just can't get over how unattractive I think she looks...her face is too long, eyes too close and she looks so surgically enhanced like Khloe Kardashian.
And to think she regrets her nose job when that (as well as her connections ofc) are the only reason she could become a successful model is hilarious.

I actually really love the cover, but I'm a sucker for blues.
What I can't get over is the interview - so many levels of cringe. The Hadids try so desperately to be relatable but it's just not gonna happen Bella. Embrace the fact that you're an uber wealthy young woman from LA. You're not fooling anyone.

We've all got problems, but not all of us have Vogue covers. If you're in that position, you likely have enough money for the decent (non-cultlike) psychologist that can help you get out from your family's influence, plus the opportunity to retrain and do something that makes you happier in yourself.

All these nepo-models - because they exist in a dimension that's all about easy access to the highest level of commercial goods, people think they're living an enviable life. But the freedom and tools to become your own person and to make life choices from that position is priceless. You're probably not going to see any articles about individuation in Vogue any time soon, and with Bella, Kaia et al, you'll definitely not be seeing it promoted on the cover.

Yesss Adut and Sora do look like top high fashion superstar models !!! Not like Kendall or Precious (in reference to my previous post to Precious' Elle cover story).

The content is out on the website before the issue is out??? What??

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hellbendcat69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->