US Vogue August 2009 : Christy Turlington by Steven Klein

I thought it was the cast of NINE!? So September 2009 is a celebrity!? OMG!

i am sorry, but i think there's not enough text on the cover. it would be nice if US Vogue brainstormed few more lines to drop all over the place. so far it looks very unconvincing.

but I'd also like to say that i think it's biased for you to say that art magazines are boring. Not only biased but super vague and ironic since many fashion magazines include articles on contemporary art. Fashion itself is an art!

We won't get into the Is Fashion an Art ? I have no specific answer ...

But yes art magazines are pretty boring ... well most of them ! I'm talking about the big ones who nowadays are just a place where galleries and museum promote their exhibitions. Things like October or indie fanzines ARE/WERE intersting. But things like Artforum and Art Press are to me nothing more than a big collage of advertisings ... Just open and Artforum from the 70s and one from now and you'll understand. There's no more dialogue, theoric texts are very rare etc. It's just reviews and reviews of exhibitions ... And even the reviews are most of the time boring themselves, as it's pretty rare to read something with a real opinion. So there are still very interesting art magazines, but that's not where things happened most of the time today.

And yes Cindy Sherman has some links with one part of fashion photography ... But what interest me is that it's still a new support for her to express herself ... She's doing photos that she exhibits in art galleries, she does photograph and then exhibit them in a fashion magazine (see a Vogue Paris ...) ... Sorry but I think that's something worth paying attention to ! For someone like Cindy Sherman, at least.

I hope next time they could do a feature for 70's..like Carmen Dell'Orefice:heart::wink:

Christy looks gorgeous but I don't like the cover.

And yes Cindy Sherman has some links with one part of fashion photography ... But what interest me is that it's still a new support for her to express herself ... She's doing photos that she exhibits in art galleries, she does photograph and then exhibit them in a fashion magazine (see a Vogue Paris ...) ... Sorry but I think that's something worth paying attention to ! For someone like Cindy Sherman, at least.

i believe that in case of VP it was more about its celebrated irony and humor rather than any sort of cultural/social observation. as for US Vogue i have no idea of what was the intention.
but you may be right - things just don't happen without any reason. even more so, as you can easily spot references to Sherman's work here and there in fashion publications (think of the edit Christina Kruse shot and styled for Interview last winter). i think the reason why Sherman is so interesting to fashion world is that her work exploiting visual cliches and stereotypes feels somehow very organic to the very core of fashion - expressing your self (or imitating one) with the help of designer goods and memorabilia. but at this point, there's a big threat of not digging deeper into her imagery and taking these pictures as they are - a mock-up of an aging woman playing wicked dress-up. to some extent, very often fashion titles are okay with just that. but what do we expect? this is a one superficial business gimmicking a needed dose of intellectualism.

I like their choice of cover star, and the cover's a nice shot - but what's with all that text on the left hand side? Is there really any need to put every age on the cover..

All that Yoga training must be useful for squeezing into the tiny space beside the
blah blah blah
RANDOM SOMETHING AT 10!
RANDOM SOMETHING AT 20!
RANDOM SOMETHING AT 30!
RANDOM SOMETHING AT 40!
RANDOM SOMETHING AT 50!
RANDOM SOMETHING AT 60!
[place model here]

It looks like a horrible error message - a magazine version of Windows bluescreen crash :sick:

And Christy, did she just wake up in a morgue? :ninja:

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG! I thought the cast of nine was going to be on the cover? this is amazing I can't breathe!!!!!!!! although the cover seems off... I'm super glad it's christy!!!!!!!! my fave super I can't wait for this!!!!!

All that Yoga training must be useful for squeezing into the tiny space beside the
blah blah blah
RANDOM SOMETHING AT 10!
RANDOM SOMETHING AT 20!
RANDOM SOMETHING AT 30!
RANDOM SOMETHING AT 40!
RANDOM SOMETHING AT 50!
RANDOM SOMETHING AT 60!
[place model here]

It looks like a horrible error message - a magazine version of Windows bluescreen crash :sick:

And Christy, did she just wake up in a morgue? :ninja:
I'm dying right now :rofl: :rofl:

I was quite surprised when I saw the thread title. Christy looks bad (for once) :doh:
Text overload as well.. not good. Do the numbers on the cover even interest anyone?

Very good to see a model on the cover. Great to see it's Christy. Too bad the cover is cluttered with text, but I've seen worse but also definetely better. It's just nice.

I like Cindy Shermans pic.

are August issues usually thick or just normal!?

Oh! Is normal like US VOGUE MAY or US VOGUE Jan, June & July

Ooooh yay for Turlington, but its not a good cover in any way. I LOVE the Age issues so all that text about it doesn't bother me since its cool that they feature women of all ages in the issue every year, its always a fantastic read.However the cover could have surely been done better, it looks like an outtake! And that bloody banner!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for posting, its nice to get the US Vogue cover sooner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->