US Vogue March 2024 : Miuccia Prada by Steff Mitchell

Annie Leibovitz still manages to take wonderful photos like that of Anne Hathaway, (I remember her cover from December 2012 for the release of the film Les Miserables) she deserves a new cover, it's a wasted opportunity

The choice of Gigi reminds me of their choice to have Kate Upton in the "Impossible Conversations" MET book. A strange choice that doesn't really work, but it also isn't abysmal either from a casting point of view. Could have been Kendall (which has happened before already, but with only Miu Miu looks correct?), or Cara, or even Em Rata seeing as she's already featured in this issue...

There was also that time where they went with a lot Victoria's Secret models in the shows and campaigns. Kind of interesting, shows you that the Prada woman could be any woman in a way. Just think the images themselves could have been more heightened and styled to really give PRADA. Especially seeing as many of the looks are what springs to my mind immediately when I think of both Miuccia and Prada as both a brand and "ethos".

Not saying Gigi is a Prada girl. I don't think of her as one so much as what the others mentioned. But I think what really makes this fail is the fact that the photography and styling of it all is just incredibly lacking. Miuccia looks fantastic though. She always does. So chic and pragmatic.

Beautiful image of Anne. No real comment on the rest of the content.

funny, they got a good idea for a good cover and just it choose the worst possible model to wear prada inside... i cant

April Ells cover is Raf Simons. HIS side of the story and all the tea spilling.

274 pages

Prada ed 12 pages

women’s designer eds 28 pages - other than the models and celebs pics posted earlier, there are a few photographs of the designers as well such as Rei Kawakubo by Tommy Ton, MGC by Vivianne Sassen, & Chemena Kamali by I&V

Adut ed 8 pages (seen in british vogue)

Emily r by larissa hoffman styled by alex harrington 12 pages (seen in british vogue)

devyn garcia & her family by theo liu styled by jorden bickham 8 pages

6 pages of flats for last look

features:
jeremy strong by norman jean roy

petrit halijaj

kingsley ben adir & lashana lynch by norman jean roy

delphine arnault by leibovitz

^ Hm - I don't remember this editorial "Emily r by larissa hoffman styled by alex harrington 12 pages (seen in british vogue)" from British Vogue....

^ Hm - I don't remember this editorial "Emily r by larissa hoffman styled by alex harrington 12 pages (seen in british vogue)" from British Vogue....

its on the accessories section of the magazine, british vogue only published 3 pics

274 pages

Prada ed 12 pages

women’s designer eds 28 pages - other than the models and celebs pics posted earlier, there are a few photographs of the designers as well such as Rei Kawakubo by Tommy Ton, MGC by Vivianne Sassen, & Chemena Kamali by I&V

Adut ed 8 pages (seen in british vogue)

Emily r by larissa hoffman styled by alex harrington 12 pages (seen in british vogue)

devyn garcia & her family by theo liu styled by jorden bickham 8 pages

6 pages of flats for last look

features:
jeremy strong by norman jean roy

petrit halijaj

kingsley ben adir & lashana lynch by norman jean roy

delphine arnault by leibovitz
What a sad review for a March issue.

^ Agree, but still better than British Vogue IMO.
It is not better in my opinion. US Vogue's March 2024 issue is missing "An Altar to Memory" fashion editorial by Rafael Pavarotti and that is a great and visually striking story.

Can someone remind me, when did Vogue US peak in terms of page counts for March (and even September issues)? When was their last doorstopper?

Can someone remind me, when did Vogue US peak in terms of page counts for March (and even September issues)? When was their last doorstopper?

I don't think they ever surpassed that massive anniversary September issue with Gaga. Was it around a 1000 pages? And for March, it can't have been more than 700. I think they started getting thinner around 2016.

I don't think they ever surpassed that massive anniversary September issue with Gaga. Was it around a 1000 pages? And for March, it can't have been more than 700. I think they started getting thinner around 2016.
Yes, exactly. The biggest March issues (circa 2004 - 2007) were in the 600 - 700-page range. They would always have the page count on those covers ("630 pages of fabulous spring style!" or something).

Not thrilled at all by this...

Starting with the fact Miuccia Prada is to mainstream magazines what people like Marina Abramovic and the two Davids (Bowie and Lynch) are to so-called "indie" mags. Nothing against those four artists (I even like Bowie a lot, I even like one or two of his songs) but it comes to some point you've got online features like "watch David Lynch reading the weather bulletin". That might sound cool as f*ck (but what's next then? Stuff like "listen to David Lynch f*rt in the elevator"?) but at the end of the day, you're not even able to appreciate their actual work anymore. Sad.

So, Miuccia and how she built the image of Prada, how she created her aesthetics through decades. Was brilliant, and (somehow, kind of) still relevant. Mostly for her legacy. Don't like how she stepped into the "now I work together with Raf" territory with all the shivering around it like it was the most astonishing thing on this poor planet. Don't like how Prada clothes are everywhere and just like most other big brands throwing big bucks at magazines, how many all-Prada editorials we get. Don't like most of the recents campaigns. Etc. While, I still admire many sides of Miuccia's work (and as said before, her legacy), there's nothing, absolutely nothing groundbreaking in having her on that cover.

Female designers? Why not, the topic is interesting. Haven't read the list of featured designers yet, but will there be some nice surprises? Or just the usual suspects plus some dubious newcomers with few innovative ideas? Wondering, almost worrying about this. It should be taken more seriously instead of serving us some shameless advertising for the same people over and over again. Women's view on the female body is quite an interesting topic to study - I'm currently working a lot on this when it comes to painting and drawing. So, even if I know "it's just Vogue, it's fashion, glamour, it's utterly superficial" or whatever of this kind, it shouldn't be a reason for not getting something inspired (and inspiring), well documented and beautifully done (from styling to photography to modeling).

I guess the cherry on the top of that cheecake is the last line of the review (thank you for posting it, by the way). Delphine Arnault, seriously? I might rush to the toilets because I'm feeling like my breakfast wants to see the daylight again..!

Looking through the issue today, it's a bit sad just how lackluster the fashion photography is for a March issue. Nothing I'll remember in a week or two. There are a few great photos (the Anne Hathaway one, for example) but not a single good fashion story. I think Gigi's photos work better than I expected in the context of the article, though. The lookbook vibe works.

Nothing I'll remember in a week or two.

This sums it up. And that's what pisses me off so much, there's absolutely no reason for it all to be so lackluster. You don't need a grand budget to make a memorable story, so why is it so hard? Are all the photographers really that bad? Or is it all really the editors' fault for allowing content for the sake of content, without any thought?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tunagurl95
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->