US Vogue March 2024 : Miuccia Prada by Steff Mitchell

it’s great to have Miuccia but it’s a rather underwhelming cover.
to have such subject and making it almost (well…), pedestrian is criminal.

it should’ve been a stronger close up even if Miuccia has a very kept, quiet, almost shy demeanour when presenting herself (or at least from what I have seen and perceived).

still, major.
the editorial with Signora Prada is cute and the images with Gigi kinda reflect how Prada the brand has been coming across, s̶i̶n̶c̶e̶ R̶a̶f̶ j̶o̶i̶n̶e̶d̶, for the last couple of years…

All of this doesn't do it for me, I'm afraid. The portrait itself feels lifeless, and rather sterile for what's supposed to be a spring fashion issue. Not at all deterred by the fact we've got Miuccia Prada on the cover either. The photography from Steff Mitchell is what downgrades this whole thing, so abysmal, pedestrian and devoid of style.

Those accompanying photos of Gigi are horrific! A total missed opportunity to have had all the Prada favorites over the years (like Sasha Pivovarova for instance) wearing those archival looks, and by someone far more capable than Steff Mitchell.
I was thinking the same thing about bringing favorite Prada models like Sasha to showcase the archival clothes. Gigi is not a fit for me. I was also thinking if it was necessary to showcase the archival clothes. I think that it would have been interesting to see Mrs. Prada's spring 2024 collections styled in a unique way.

Sooo good to see one of my inspirations on the cover of Vogue! I’d definitely buy this. However, I don’t really feel anything with the photographs. It’s so underwhelming. The colour grading made it look melancholic.

Also, Gigi is such a letdown. They could’ve gotten Sasha Pivovarova or Gemma Ward.

Great cover, if there's one designer who should be on the front of Vogue it's Miuccia. I might get it for that alone (first physical copy of US Vogue I'll be buying since the Barbie one with Margot), also it's much appreciated to see a woman over the age of 50 who isn't a model or actress on the cover.

no thank you to the archive-wearing images with Gigi though, and I say this as someone who quite likes a lot of Gigi's editorial work. Those photographs just look washed out, I get it's Prada so not going to have the same feel as an editorial showcasing some of her fellow MFW brands but this was weak.

can we just talk about how Anna absolutely outshined Edward last issue? She decided to put Miuccia (which is, in my opinion, the most relevant women’s designer alive) on the cover and everyone are talking about it.
She’s still that b*tch who played Edward on the September Issue after all…

well played.

Gigi isn't looking her best here, but she is a Prada girl. She has been working with Prada since FW 2019. Her SS 2019 campaign and accompanying video were stunning. Every time she walks the Prada runway she fits the aesthetic perfectly.

Clearly, Miuccia Prada and Ashley Brokaw see Gigi as such. She books both Prada and Miu Miu

The people who decide who is and who isn't a Prada girl chose Gigi Hadid. They're the same ones who made you believe that Sasha, Gemma, Liu Wen, Julia, Mica, Lineisy, Anok, and Selena are Prada women. Also, yes, Kendall Jenner is a Prada girl. Who decided that? The same aforementioned with the power to do so.

Any other opinion is irrelevant as to who is a Prada girl, and that goes for fashion models in general as to who is "fashion enough" to work for whichever brand.

I wouldn't say those opinions are "irrelevant". If people aren't responding positively to a choice of model, that readership / audience are potential buying customers of any aspect of the brand, and that would be very relevant.

It's not a one-sided set-up. They're deciding what to sell, and others are deciding what to buy. If people can't buy into Gigi as a Prada girl, that's their preference.

And then again, everything can change with a single campaign.

I have noticed Gigi in imagery where what's being evoked is that 90s-style vibe of being stripped down, being real, when Gigi is more in her element being a 90s-style glamazon. She excels at that, like her Spanish Vogue cover in 2015 which is still as good as ever. It is glorious when a model is used for her strengths.

Love the cover and accompanying ed. Gigi's editorial is nice but more as a feature somewhere towards the back of the magazine and not as part of a main ed about one of the greatest designer of our time.

^Where's that cover?! Anne looks so good in that dress, I want to see more.

Another mix of everything editorial (Liya and Doutzen are part of this as well).

20231207 01E VO_ANNE_HATHAWAY_FG_183_i sRGB.jpg VO0324_Designers_23.jpg VO0324_Designers_21.jpg VO0324_Designers_25.jpg VO0324_Designers_24.jpg VO0324_Designers_13.jpg VO0324_Designers_04.jpg

Last edited:
I don't like mixed editorials at all, but so far those new previous are rather lovely. If they elaborated on each one, it would've made a great issue perhaps. But seeing Bibi's work with Liya and Doutzen in that line-up only highlights how utterly horrible her work is. She has no business shooting fashion stories for Vogue, at best she belongs on the front pages of a low budget indie publication, at worst an unnamed online catalogue photographer. I can't believe that the same person who ruthlessly chopped some of the excellent images from the best photographers of the time is now allowing such garbage in her magazine. Horrid!

I really like that classic Chanel look, is that current?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tunagurl95
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->