US Vogue November 2023 : Carey Mulligan by Jack Davison

I´m happy for Carey but I don´t like anything about this... I´m sure there are better pictures on the editorial though.

One big mess and one massive blur! How the mighty have fallen, when you look back at American Vogue covers throughout the years when everything was so direct, polished and oozed a sense of glamour.

The photography here is awful, as is the lighting which resembles one of those hideous Instagram filters.

I don't dislike the shoot overall, but my God that is not a cover shot!

I find Jack Davison's work pretentious, particularly in the context of fashion. There are moments of brilliance (Zendaya's W cover, for example), but overall it's very reliant on grain filters, tight closeups and props, like a photography student experimenting with his first film camera.

I don't know why Anna thought his work would be a good fit for US Vogue's basic and commercial vision of fashion, but the results are lacklustre. If this were the digital cover instead of Angelina's, I would give it a pass, but no.

She's better off sticking with her regulars like EJG, Tyler Mitchell and Annie etc. and Davison's talents are better suited to publications like Dazed, Self Service and M Le Monde.

They have tried this cover layout formula before (Adele's & SJP covers from 2021), so maybe it works commercially?? or maybe they no longer care about selling print magazines anymore cause they're just going to give free copies to anyone who subscribed to their website now.

It's a small miracle it isn't a cover with Bradley Cooper at this point. I love the tagline, the movie "everyone" is looking forward to??? Which is funny, because the only articles I've read about the film are criticism about Cooper's giant prosthetic nose and how it's "jewface."

The cover still needs work to be done...the editorial i like it...i like the messy mess of the editorial and the styling too...

The editorial is not bad imo though they´re trying hard not to show her :zany:
I don´t think it works for US Vogue though...

It's a small miracle it isn't a cover with Bradley Cooper at this point. I love the tagline, the movie "everyone" is looking forward to??? Which is funny, because the only articles I've read about the film are criticism about Cooper's giant prosthetic nose and how it's "jewface."
I know.. I thought to myself 'literally no one is waiting for a Bradley Cooper movie' lol

Don't know why but I always end up watching Carey Mulligan movies on flights so I've watched plenty and man, is she boring.. as an actor and style-wise, and red carpets in awards season are going to be painful with her permanent :woozy: expression. I'll never understand Anna's obsession with her or her passport.. BUT, I actually find the photos above rather nice and fun for Vogue, I miss old-school Tim Walker so this brings back some of that...

Why even bother featuring her if every shot there's a blatant attempt to conceal her face. That's odd. The cover leaves much to be desired.

I wish US Vogue graduates from this indie direction they're taking. I miss the COMMERCIAL US Vogue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Len84
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->