Vancouver Shopping

They are.
I would be nice if they chose some of the more interesting pieces from collections. If I'm going to be paying their prices, I want the piece to look special...so to say.

Have you ever been into a shop called "Leone"? It's on West Hastings, right across from Chanel, I believe. They carry a few brands Holts doesn't. Don't know about pricing, though. I've never been in.

I've been into L2 before, but not the upstairs Leone. I'm not usually down that way. The prices are the same as Holts. That's just what Canadians have to pay. It's incredibly aggravating how much more we pay for things (even before the extra tax!).

They're already going to open Miu Miu soon since one of Holts SA told me (near Tiffany's) it'll happen before the Olympics.

There's not much shopping but I do like this one store, Blubird for comtempary clothing labels like Elizabeth and James. I like getting some jewelry at Blue Ruby since it's got a variety of styles that I find pretty decent.

They're already going to open Miu Miu soon since one of Holts SA told me (near Tiffany's) it'll happen before the Olympics.

There's not much shopping but I do like this one store, Blubird for comtempary clothing labels like Elizabeth and James. I like getting some jewelry at Blue Ruby since it's got a variety of styles that I find pretty decent.

Oh really? Inside Holts or a standalone boutique on Alberni? I keep hearing rumours that we're getting one but nothing has happened yet.

I've been into L2 before, but not the upstairs Leone. I'm not usually down that way. The prices are the same as Holts. That's just what Canadians have to pay. It's incredibly aggravating how much more we pay for things (even before the extra tax!).
I used to work in Sinclair Centre and popped into Leone every once in a while. That was soooo many years ago now, I don't think L2 was there then, it was the restaurant (which had a fantastic smoked salmon farfalle!). Leone used to have some pretty decent sales and if memory serves me correct, they used to have a colossal Boxing Day sale. You should check it out if it's still a go. I remember when Leone first brought in Escada, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. This was in the early nineties, and before Holt Renfrew became ridiculously over-priced. I mean it was always somewhat exclusive and I even used to have an HR credit card - and used it too! The store has changed a lot since then. Do they still have their own label? I once bought a gorgeous grey woven handbag (major Bottega Veneta knockoff!) for around $200 that was their own HR label. In 1991, that was the most expensive purse I had ever bought.
Sure Vancouver has Chanel, St. John, Gucci, Tiffany, Hermes, the edgier tiny little shops in Yaletown and whatever else is up on South Granville, but somehow it just seems, I don't know.... still a little bit like Fashion Siberia, you know? **Mind you, I think you can find yoga pants and a hoodie at 2am on any street corner in Vancouver. Doesn't the 7-11 sell them? :lol::lol:
Is anyone else wishing we didn't have to drive 2+ hours into the USA to an outlet mall to see more than six different styles of Cole Haan shoes, and yet still manage to get them for less than half what HR or Wear Else is soaking me for?
I know, I'm just so unreasonable.
Ooooh, look everyone it's 2009 and we finally got a Sephora! We are so cutting-edge!
Has anyone been to the Forever 21 at Metrotown yet? Isn't it just a US version of Le Chateau?

shelleybean - F21 is much cheaper than Le Chateau. I used to love Le Chateau when I was young, but now everything is SO overpriced.
Holts definitely does not have handbags that cheap-I know they still have their own line but I've only really seen cashmere sweaters, scarves, gloves...little things like that.
Yaletown has some cool boutiques-on a nice day I like walking down there from Robson. Lots of great restaurants in that area too.

Miu Miu will have its own boutique ^_^. Definitely excited and you could check out other districts than Robson/Burrard area like Broadway, Main or Yaletown (it's getting quite popular there).

Don't forget we have a stand alone Burberry.
And Betsey Johnson is still there I believe.

Don't forget we have a stand alone Burberry.
And Betsey Johnson is still there I believe.

Betsey is definitely still there! Love her stuff. There's also "Blubird", which is owned by the people who own Boboli on South Granville I believe. Really great lines there.

this thread is great and also funny! you guys complaining about the shops there compared to the US, wait if you ever come to sydney you'd be in for the shock of your life. lol. I feel your pain though.
Anyway thank you for the info..i'm heading to vancouver soon, possibly to live there. I was wondering if there are good outlet malls like there are in the US or that hasn't made it over there yet? :smile:

this thread is great and also funny! you guys complaining about the shops there compared to the US, wait if you ever come to sydney you'd be in for the shock of your life. lol. I feel your pain though.
Anyway thank you for the info..i'm heading to vancouver soon, possibly to live there. I was wondering if there are good outlet malls like there are in the US or that hasn't made it over there yet? :smile:
Oh nicky25; you jokester, you! hardy har har! :lol: Outlet Malls? Quelle fantasie!
Nah, really..... depending on your fashion preference, you may enjoy Vancouver shopping, just depends on what you're looking for. It's really not THAT bad, there are some great funky shops. Lots of cool smaller boutique shops on South Granville, Yaletown, Kitsilano amd Main/Mount Pleasant area. I'm just used to being able to fly down to Palm Springs and shop at the Cabazon Outlet and pick up a pair of Prada heels for $129, not to mention all the other ridiculously cheap deals compared to what I'm getting soaked for here.
When are you planning on arriving? Are you coming for the big "Five-Ring-Circus"? Lots of Aussies here, too so you'll fell pretty welcome I think.
Let us know when you arrive :flower:

^LOL thanks Shelley, thought about going for the olympics but it seems kind of pricey maybe around April may, good to know Palm springs is close by, if we move to Vancouver i'll be asking you for LOTS of info!!!
i dont mind small shops and other brands, you guys have H&M, and Zara right? it's like that in Sydney lots of nice small boutiques but the prices are highway robbery compared to the US and even Europe. a friend came over from the UK and said Sydney was more expensive, which is a laugh really.
I'm guessing you guys aren't too excited about the Olympics? don't worry if anything it makes the public transport run super smooth and lots of friendly tourists and you'll never see the city in tip top shape again, that's what happened here when we had the 2000 summer Olympics. it was absolutely hilarious, never seen everything run so smoothly before or since!!

Yes we do have H&M and ZARA. ^

Has anybody here been to the Ferragamo store? Do they carry RTW, or just leather goods and other accessories?

Gastown is great for local boutiques-but it's like you said nicky25, they're all REALLY expensive. But it's a good place to go if you want to splurge on something unique.
We have Zara, H&M, Urban Outfitters, French Connection...most of the big US chains.
Aritzia is "the" place to shop in Vancouver, although it's a case of everyone ending up with the same stuff as you. And the quality for price is not always great.
I'm not going to be working or in school during the 2 weeks of the Olympics, so I'm looking forward to it! But for people who need to commute it's going to be a total gong show. Our transit NEVER runs smoothly, so we're all expecting it to get even worse during the games. They're telling people to give themselves 1-3 hours extra to commute for work.

ohh no no no if it's anything like here (where it's usually a dog's breakfast our public transport in Sydney is really almost third world) you'll see your transport rise and shine during the Olympics. we were told that too, then they wowed us with trains and buses running on time every few minutes.

and enjoy all the hot athletes running around :wink:

UO, and other chains, cool, love me those US chains..thanks, i will keep this in mind.. thinking of going there so soon!!

Gastown is great for local boutiques-but it's like you said nicky25, they're all REALLY expensive. But it's a good place to go if you want to splurge on something unique.
We have Zara, H&M, Urban Outfitters, French Connection...most of the big US chains.
Aritzia is "the" place to shop in Vancouver, although it's a case of everyone ending up with the same stuff as you. And the quality for price is not always great.
I'm not going to be working or in school during the 2 weeks of the Olympics, so I'm looking forward to it! But for people who need to commute it's going to be a total gong show. Our transit NEVER runs smoothly, so we're all expecting it to get even worse during the games. They're telling people to give themselves 1-3 hours extra to commute for work.

I totally love Obakkai in gastown! Beautiful clothing and all of it is made in Vancouver as well!

^I think they only do it once or twice a year-I'm not sure when the next one will be sorry :(

I'm going to Vancouver for the Olympics this week and am psyched to have found this thread! I'm dying to do some shopping for some stuff that can't be found in the US (New York area)-- any suggestions for must-go places?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loquillinben
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->