Vanity Fair June 2010 : Cristiano Ronaldo and Didier Drogba by Annie Leibovitz

That close-up of Emma in the headpiece would've been a great cover.

But they go for Ronaldo and his abs.:rolleyes:

I find it odd Emma's inside the issue, and not on the cover personally. I would have thought she was more than a big enough name to warrant a cover as well as an editorial? More so than who they did actually choose for the cover.

Anyway, I'm beyond trying to work out why Vanity Fair does what it does personally. It's began to hurt my brain.

Earlier today, I read a few issues from 2010, and in one editor's note, Graydon said that advertising was down, but apparently newsstand sales and subscriptions are both up, which he attributed to the magazine's saturation coverage of financial affairs - and promised more of the same.

I subscribed using an offer in the Marilyn Monroe issue, where you got 25 issues for £25, so they keep on coming. And I read every issue, when I get the time - but I couldn't call it a mass-interest magazine, because it presumes a lot of its readership. It puts celebrities on the cover to entice people into buying it - and then hits them with coverage of a feud between Gore Vidal and Christopher Hitchens. There'll be some who know the background of such things - but most people won't know and won't care.

It is possible to buy a Vanity Fair cover featuring Kate Moss and enjoy the political coverage running alongside the fashion feature, but the magazine is like a club, it almost likes excluding those who can't keep up with the more obscure content. It's trying to go in two directions at once - the desire to sell a lot of copies yet to also be 'above' other magazines. So you end up with Tiger's mistresses alongside a lengthy account of financial irregularies, so one moment you're reading a rather verbose tabloid feature, the next moment, you're having to take breaks from an article because it requires that much concentration to understand the processes being described.

'PLAYING FOR THE WORLD'
Ph: Annie Leibovitz

boyculture.typepad, livejournal/ahh_serie_a, cr17.com

Emma Watson looks STUNNING. She should have gotten the cover, no question about it.

Just seen Emma's shot on Daily Mail and gasped. Very soft and pretty, suits her perfectly.
It's immensely beautiful, kudos Demarcheiler. Best feature in this entire issue!

They seriously need to stop pumping Tiger's leftovers for info on his prowess. What do they want to know? He's a lecher, they're sluts...end of story. Anyway...

I do like the feature of the soccer players...though the cover is bizarre with Ronaldo's smug smile.

Hmm... my Vanity Fair only has one pic of Emma Watson & a short article. Those scans posted are from the UK edition.

^I wonder if the US version has a longer Lost article, because the one in the UK version was just two pages - and there's no way a feature that short would have warranted a cover, yet why get everyone together for those ensemble shots, if that's all they were going to use them for?

^No, Lost only got 2 pages in the front section of the magazine.

Hmm... my Vanity Fair only has one pic of Emma Watson & a short article. Those scans posted are from the UK edition.

I HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS. I don't get why they do this ever but come on Harry Potter is a well known story loved the whole world over. Do VF think the US readers won't want to read about a Brit cause that's the only reason I can think of.

Sad that the Lost feature is only 2 pages. They or Emma should have got the cover.

This is probably the worst cover they have had in ages.

The concept of covers being a cut-and-paste creation that bears no resemblance to reality takes egotistical footballer by surprise (metro.co.uk:(

Cristiano Ronaldo is furious over Vanity Fair cover with Didier Drogba

Cristiano Ronaldo is furious over Vanity Fair's World Cup special June edition, which sees him posing topless, because he had to share the cover with Didier Drogba.

The Portuguese poser is pictured in tight-fitting pants next to Chelsea striker Didier Drogba, who is also wearing just his undies.

Insiders claim Ronnie is ‘freaking out’ and could even sue the magazine over the Annie Leibovitz photo-shoot.

‘There are whispers that what really upset Ronaldo was that, having stripped off to his underpants for the shoot in Madrid, he didn’t envisage sharing the cover with another player photographed in Milan,’ insiders told the New York Post.

‘Even though this is pretty standard practice in the magazine world, he and his managers insist only they have control of his image and where it can be used.’

No legal action has been launched – yet. The 25-year-old’s tantrum will add a little extra spark to Portugal’s first game of the World Cup on June 15, where he will square up to Drogba, 32, in a match against the Ivory Coast.

:lol: Not like he's that important. Half the female population would have been fine with it if it was Fernando Torres on the cover.

This cover was taken out from VF site / from Conde Nast Media Kit site too (where they add all the new covers) and Grace Kelly's May cover was added instead of it. Can't understand why...

:lol: Not like he's that important. Half the female population would have been fine with it if it was Fernando Torres on the cover.

not really, cristiano you can say whatever you want about his face/style but his body is incredible out of all the players. torres isn't attractive and he doesn't command the attention of the world like cristiano does imho .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misslola
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->