Vanity Fair March 2023 : The Hollywood Issue by Steven Klein

The cover is almost perfect, and I love the individual portraits....mostly.
I will never understand the appeal of Selena Gomez. Never.
Aaron Taylor Johnson, and Julia Garner, should have been on the front cover, tbh.
The rest of the B listers in the foldouts should have been axed.

I have to laugh at that shot. Her face looks crooked, as if the right side is melting. Lmao.
Selena's face never looks the same way twice! Not sure if it's all the meds she takes for her conditions, or what. She goes from puffy to unrecognizable constantly.

I'll be looking forward to getting my issue to find out who owns the feet in the foreground.

That's the only interesting thing about the cover for me.
It looks like a typical cut and paste job. Would be more dynamic to have everyone in the studio at the same time to do the photo.
Their interactions could create more interest than this.

Selena's face never looks the same way twice! Not sure if it's all the meds she takes for her conditions, or what. She goes from puffy to unrecognizable constantly.

That's why I would refrain from making comments on her looks.
I can only imagine how hellish balancing the meds and side effects must be.
I know other people with kidney issues have similar struggles.

Glad to than Klein shot the cover story of Vanity Fair, a few photos are fine but the Selena's shot is the worst the whole edit.

Good cover. Some of the actors on the foldout are questionable, though.

I never thought the day would come where I'd be relieved to see a Steven Klein cover/editorial. He's not a photographer I've ever cared for, but... damn.

I like and it’s nice they went for new or not so in your face talents. haven’t bought Vanity Fair in like forever but this one I’ll get.

they all look like they've been generated by asking Dall-E for a cyberpunk fashion shoot.

Bleugh, sick of looking at Elvis Butler. It's Jonathan Majors for me, personally... chile. Anyways, I'll echo everyone's sentiments about seeing Klein back at work. In the good tradition of this issue, the cover is a mess but Klein provides a rather solid cover story to back it up. Aaron-Taylor Johnson is a knockout, but Major's arms are the main character here. I liked Julia Garner and Jeremy Allen White's portraits the most.

The editorial is a bloody mess ahahah OMFG wow: bad bad bad.

Rege-Jean Page is Page 1 cover worthy......no way he should be on Page 2!

He's gorgeous so I wouldn't mind a page 1 cover appearance, but career-wise he's done nothing noteworthy prior or post season 1 of Bridgerton, which came out back in 2020. Maybe the upcoming Dungeons and Dragons movie will fix that, but he's got a supporting role once again and it looks like a flop.

Or maybe he'll be Bond? But my money's on ATJ.

I note the French and Spanish editions of Vanity Fair are also running with this same Hollywood cover shot.

I've just received my subscription copy of the UK edition - 128 pgs. The cover pretty much looks just like the insta image, no special effects, and the inside gatefold ad is for Tiffany & Co.

There are mini features on younger talent reps, everybody's shot in the Hollywood portfolio takes up two pages, then it's on to an article about the Hollywood sign, and the man who ghost-wrote Gloria Swanson's autobiography tells his own story of how it happened. Plus a feature on NFTs in the art world, and a look at The Ankler, from industry newsletter to possible media empire.

There's also "West of Eden" which, on superficial first look, seems to be their now-standard feature where VF tries to 'other' any Americans who don't share their views and who happen to live somewhere that's not a metropolis. 'Gen Z in the House' is a week in the life of Democratic Florida representative Maxwell Frost.

Back page Proust Questionnaire is Bill Nighy.

Sounds like a far cry from the thick, dishy Hollywood issues we used to get. But still, I think I'll pick this up.

Petition to bring back Annie to shoot next year's cover.

Uhm, Emma Corrin and Keke should be on the main cover replacing Selena and Ana, are they serious? And maybe having a guy centered on the main cover like isn't the wisest idea right now but what do I know. Too few Brits and too many tv people (Graydon used to do a tv special at some stage, they should bring that back). Overall very weak lineup. Seems more like Young Hollywood issue, where's the seasoned talent?

As a longtime VF reader, I welcome the photographer choice. The idea to give the covers to different photographers each year. These ones are more fashion-forward and definitely better than the Bruce Weber portraits they did some time back.

That's why I would refrain from making comments on her looks.
I can only imagine how hellish balancing the meds and side effects must be.
I know other people with kidney issues have similar struggles.
Yeah, I remember reading in some article that those changes in puffiness, weight etc are side effects of the meds she has to take. So yeah, it's really tough probably balancing that and tackling all the commentary about her looks.

But most of the portraits are really cool!

Vanity Fair Italia is running the Hollywood cover story as this week's edition, and Vanity Fair France and España are running it as their March cover stories.

• Vanity Fair Italia - 8th March 2023 - 152 pgs. Inside cover gatefold ad is Rolex. No extra shots in the Hollywood Portfolio. Other features include Björk;
  • Vanity Fair France - March 2023 - 136 pgs. Inside cover gatefold ad is Dior perfume. Hollywood Portfolio the same. Not (m)any reprinted articles otherwise, it's solidly France-oriented;
  • Vanity Fair España - March 2023 - 134 pgs. Inside cover gatefold ad is Chanel. Hollywood Portfolio the same. Again, most of the rest of the content seems specific to Spain. Slightly more glamorous than the French edition, but feels shorter and more insubstantial.

The In Crowd
Photo Steven Klein
Stylist Patti Wilson

vanity fair

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REN1099
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"