Vanity Fair March 2016 : The Hollywood Issue by Annie Leibovitz

Same old same old in terms of photography and composition but I like the selection. I don´t think that anyone´s missing, is there?

Great mix of women here. You've got some living legends, some promising upstarts, and some established actresses known for their craft, not their personal lives.

I love the somber tone of it, and it makes it that much better to have Diane Keaton just being her damn self on the end there. Things like that are what make photographs like this interesting. It adds dimension, it tells you something about her and, by extension, everyone else in the photo. This is such an improvement over last year's photo.

4 out of the 13 women are repeats, the rest all debut for the Hollywood issue......

Cate, Jennifer, Rachel, Lupita and Brie.

The cover is fine. Not one of their worst but don't think it'll be a classic either. Surprisingly good mix of actresses. Hope they do an all men cover again soon.

I love the somber tone of it, and it makes it that much better to have Diane Keaton just being her damn self on the end there. Things like that are what make photographs like this interesting. It adds dimension, it tells you something about her and, by extension, everyone else in the photo. This is such an improvement over last year's photo.

I am so surprised by the negative response to Diane Keaton here, that's just how she f*cking dresses! That's her "style"!!! I don't WANT to see Diane Keaton glammed up like Joan Fonda or Helen Mirren, that's not who she is. She's earned it, let her be.:rolleyes:

Viola does not look good, she looks 20 years older than her actual age, terrible make up.

The good: I am very happy with the cast, especially Saoirse, Gugu, Brie, Charlotte & Rachel making the cover. They all look lovely too.

The bad: I wish Saoirse or Brie or even Alicia took Jennifer's spot on the front, she is so overexposed at this point and I am no longer interested. Viola does not really look like herself, it took me a minute to even figure out who it was and that is a shame for such a beautiful woman.

Slouch, slump. Drab, dreary. Slack-jawed, lifeless expressions. All as expected with Annie. I don't like that they covered up Viola Davis's body with J Law, or that they stuck Gugu and Lupita in the far back - Vanity Fair has done this before with black actors and actresses... That look on Rachel Weisz's face - that's how I feel about this cover!

By the way, Helen Mirren has her hand on Diane Keaton's bum, and Saoirse seems to be missing a leg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love it, Cate, Viola and Lupita looks the best to me.

Is anyone know when this issue will available on newstands?

I am so surprised by the negative response to Diane Keaton here, that's just how she f*cking dresses! That's her "style"!!! I don't WANT to see Diane Keaton glammed up like Joan Fonda or Helen Mirren, that's not who she is. She's earned it, let her be.:rolleyes:
Totally second this comment, love Keaton for always being herself!

But wait this is a March issue? I thought it's a Special Hollywood Issue they are doing now, and March will be Style Issue this year? Strange!

But wait this is a March issue? I thought it's a Special Hollywood Issue they are doing now, and March will be Style Issue this year? Strange!

You are correct. Mods, this is why I originally named the thread Hollywood 2016. The March issue will be seperate, and comes out in the beginning of March.

Diane Keaton ever the whimsical creature!

So Diane got away with wearing her own outfit.......:lol:

Yes, Those Are Diane Keaton’s Own Clothes on the Hollywood Cover
by Rachel Tashjian
Hollywood PortfolioFebruary 1, 2016 6:01 pm

The iconoclastic star wears a hat from the same designer who made Sylvester Stallone's fedora in Creed.

Vanity Fair’s Hollywood Issue cover is, among many other things, a major fashion event. But Diane Keaton, in the kind of perfectly tailored coat, hat, and swatches of polka dots that exemplify why a Cult of Keaton has sprouted around the star, seems to have inspired particular enthusiasm. When we released the cover earlier on Monday afternoon, fans wasted no time zeroing in on the icon’s defiantly personal style, which is at once completely outside the rulebook of classic Hollywood glamour (read: a big poofy gown), and yet totally of a piece with Annie Leibovitz’s celebration of female power.

According to fashion and style director Jessica Diehl, Keaton’s choice to wear her own ensemble was two parts her singular brand of Keaton spunkiness, and one part her collaborative spirit. Diehl spent 45 minutes on the phone with Keaton before the shoot, during which the two struck on the idea of a tuxedo—a familiar arrow in Keaton’s fashion quiver. But then Keaton suggested something else: “‘Or I could wear something like my favorite person, Paul Harnden, but that’s probably not dressed up enough,’” Diehl recalls her saying. “And I was like, ‘Yeah, maybe not, but wear it and when you get here, we can always see.’”

When Keaton arrived—chipper and ready for her close-up at 7:45 A.M., in her Harnden morning coat, leggings, and studded engineering boots—she began looking through the natty, menswear-inspired pieces Diehl and her team had pulled. “And she’s like, ‘Oh, I love this, I love this,’ and then Annie said, ‘Yeah, I love that too, but you kind of already look great!’”

Harnden, a British designer, is a favorite of John Galliano’s, who described him in 2010 as “doing that rough kind of tweed and stuff” but “very Greta Garbo” in his accessibility. Keaton’s polka-dot scarf and pocket square are Ralph Lauren–designed, and her hat is by Baron Hats, the milliner of choice for many costume designers (they created Sylvester Stallone’s fedora in Creed and Samuel L. Jackson’s gaucho-style hat in The Hateful Eight).

“It worked out because she took the time, like a proper collaborator, to spend 45 minutes on the phone trying to figure out what we’re doing as a bigger picture, and how she could fit in there,” Diehl says.

And in the end, it was the sense of wonder Keaton’s personal style inspires that makes her cover appearance so memorable. “Sometimes, when you get somebody like that, who has taken so much time to hone her personal style, you’re almost an idiot to try and improve upon that in five and a half minutes.”

Source: http://www.vanityfair.com/style/2016/02/diane-keaton-hollywood-cover#10

I find the cover laughable, like every other Vanity Fairy Hollywood cover. The casting is great but the Photoshop is over the top as always. Half of these gorgeous women look nothing like themselves and that's a shame.

Slouch, slump. Drab, dreary. Slack-jawed, lifeless expressions. All as expected with Annie. I don't like that they covered up Viola Davis's body with J Law, or that they stuck Gugu and Lupita in the far back - Vanity Fair has done this before with black actors and actresses... That look on Rachel Weisz's face - that's how I feel about this cover!

By the way, Helen Mirren has her hand on Diane Keaton's bum, and Saoirse seems to be missing a leg.

Wait until you see how she photographed the black actresses for the solo shots in comparison to everyone else. It's...revelatory.

Great casting - I'm going to buy this issue for sure. The photos inside are also very lovely. :heart:

My subscription copy has made its way to me - it felt really weighty in the postbag, but turns out to be the magazine (210 pgs) and a travel supplement (128 pgs).

This is the UK version of Vanity Fair, and indeed, it doesn't say March anywhere on the front, and the barcode reads '22' instead of the month (eg '03').

I'm already disappointed in the issue, because my copy is poorly bound, with the spine pushed round as an uneven white line on the front cover. I feel it's for the bin already, once read.

The ad inside the gatefold cover is Stella McCartney.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duckyjeanjo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->