Vanity Fair May 2022 : Queen Elizabeth II by Andy Warhol

It's been six years since Vanity Fair had direct access to The Queen for a cover story. Now it's reduced to reprinting vintage images and running pieces penned by "royal correspondents".

It's less a celebration and more constant mining for drama - it took decades for people to cease churning out content about Marilyn Monroe's life and death for their own profit, and Princess Diana will be no different.

As for the rest, people can sense the increasing instability surrounding this part of the establishment, and more and more sharks are circling, all looking to tear off tiny pieces for momentary gain, feeding on it for attention and money, all the while pretending they really want nothing to do with it.

I'm thinking of social media and press coverage when I say that, but it probably could apply to so many of the characters in the play.

No subscription copy yet, but I can see it online. The UK version is about 120 pgs, with a 'On Time' supplement, taking the entire package up to 230 pgs.

Quincy Isaiah is the Vanities person, there's an Oscars portfolio from Mark Seliger, which opens with that short of Jessica Chastain (in green) beside the window, plus Joan Collins, nearly 90 and out-glamming most people at the party.

There's a two-page piece by screenwriter Michael Idov on no longer writing in Russian. "I am not megalomaniacal enough to think that my exit from the Russian scene constitutes some sort of loss for Russia. It is, if anything, a form of egotistical self-care" plus a two-page article about a Bob Dylan museum in Tulsa. "There's more vibrations on the coasts, for sure," he explained. "But I'm from Minnesota and I like the casual hum of the heartland."

The first royal article is about Camilla, it's a fairly positive puff-piece containing only superficial details. The excerpt from Tina Brown's new book, The Palace Papers, looks at Diana's relationship with the press. "Time and time again, Diana chose to invade her own privacy, often for the capricious reason of making the men in her life jealous." This feature harkens back to the days when you'd get to read proper celebrity scandal in Vanity Fair (as former VF editor Tina Brown would know). The third royal article is about who will form part of the "slimmed-down monarchy" during Charles' reign, and what's already happened in respect of this.

The feature about "fourth generation Gettys" reads like a list of "X was born here and got married to Y there", there's no real riotous detail or colour about what they get up to. The article about "the New Right" is trying to make sense of political happenings in that sector in a post-Trump era. It feels like everyone involved is tying themselves up in knots, the people who live it, the person who wrote it, and now me reading it.

MODERN FOLKLORE is a portfolio/article about young black musicians in country music. "Ten years ago, you could not name more than three Black country music artists, if you could name any country artists at all." (How about the much-loved CHARLEY PRIDE?)

This is followed by an investigation into cobalt mining in the Arctic, which looks like this issue's Big Article (you know the way there's always one longer piece in every issue) and rounded off by David Ruggerio who had one foot in the world of celebrity cooking and the other in the Mob.

Jamie Lee Curtis is the Proust Questionnaire.

The 'On Time' supplement has Tahar Rahim on the cover, plus a tiny bit of Monica Bellucci and David Gandy. Readers who don't get this, you aren't missing out on anything - this supplement really is for watch enthusiasts

I don't really understand the media's obsession with the royal family or monarchy in general.

I've spotted this a few times on the shelves in WHSmith, and I must say that the cover is rather glorious in person! Always been fond of Andy Warhol's screenprints and think this particular print of HM Queen Elizabeth works well as a Vanity Fair cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
westernsoc
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->