Vans slip-ons: "the unofficial sneaker of Summer 2007" ?

markie

Reaction score
I just read an article from mens.style.com about Vans slip-ons emerging as "the unofficial sneaker of Summer 2007".

the article: http://men.style.com/news/style/061307

I personally like them and have had at least one pair in my closet at all times forever (I remember I had a pair of Mickey Mouse slide-ons as a child :lol:). I have noticed them getting slightly more popular over the past couple years but I really don't see how they can be the "unofficial sneaker" of this summer or any summer... they're so basic and unassuming to really pop out at me as a really trendy item. What are your thoughts?

I love Vans. They're pretty much all I wear. I haven't really noticed that many more people wearing them lately, though. Maybe it's just because I live in a small town, but I only know two other guys that wear them regularly.

I have 6 pairs of vans..they are the most amazing shoes ever..but I dont about this whole "unofficial sneaker of summer" noise..hasn't it always been a staple of the rock community?

I agree with these comments, the slip on is a classic shoe, and while it may change fabrics and prints to fit in trends, the shoe itself is not trendy

of course, this reminds me, i need a new pair. i wore holes in my current ones

I got a lot of them on sale at my local Vans store! Almost all of the Vans were down to 20 bucks! I got 3 pairs and I'm going for more! I love these shoes for this hot summer.

I love my Vans, though I really need a new pair because there are huuuuge holes all over them.

i lovee vans, i used to have a slip-on pair but I like the regular vans better :smile:

I prefer cheap white no-labeled tennis-shoes (think: fake Supergas..)... I think thats more like the new thing, Vans are of course nice too but e v e r y b o d y got them, also in Italy and that means: time to change!

Part of me goes back to thinking that these shoes are just nothing more but trying to mainstream the Goth/Punk genre and lifestyle. I just immediately hark back to this style of music and lifestyle whenever I think of Vans. They aren't stylish on women's feet. And just like leggings under skirts or tucking pants into boots (for reasons other than functional use), I think most Vans wearers don't care about style. As far as us guys go, I still think they are more for the rock/Goth/punk crowd. Not something I'd get into speaking as a guy who grew up with hip-hop and love electronica.

As far as Vans being the unofficial shoe of Summer, I hate to say this, but it could very well be. It's especially one of the big shoes for us guys. But for ladies, I'm thinking variations of Vans and Vans-style slip-ons will certainly be hot. Even then, these Vans slip-ons will have to compete with these skimmers which are a mix of flats and sneakers. I could remember when the Keds Champion sneaker was the sneaker that EVERY girl had to have. Times have changed. Most ladies are usually donning either flip-flops or some kind of ballet flats nowadays. I still wouldn't go with these much. I'll just be fine with my brown Skechers sneakers whenever I'm out and about.

I hate tying shoe laces so Vans are a wadrobe staple for me, summer or not...

I remember having my 1st pair for my 15th birthday im 21 now and own 8 assorted pairs although that 1st black and white checkerboard i had 6yrs are still my favs even with the duct tape extra that stops them from fallin apart.

I love wearing them all year round but they are definatly a staple summer for item for me and always have been, but its not a 'new' thing. I dont get that!!

i had a checkered pair when i was 10... and then everyone i knew started copying me :D

I love Vans, but I just don't like their slip-ons. They make my feet look HUGE.

i think vans are pretty timeless opposed to trendy. they've been around forever, and whether you find them attractive or not they're just a pair of comfortable, sturdy, fun shoes.

^Exactly. Vans have been around for ages, every now and then they're suddenly "trendy". It's a fact that they do sell very well since a couple of years, but they will most likely fade into relative obscurity again fairly soon.

They've been trendy for a long time now, and I wouldnt' listen to anything GQ says too seriously.

I got a lot of them on sale at my local Vans store! Almost all of the Vans were down to 20 bucks! I got 3 pairs and I'm going for more! I love these shoes for this hot summer.

you should try their outlets. they have really cute styles and the prices are even cheaper sometimes

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loquillinben
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->