Disappearing Trend : Slips

I love slips but I don't know how to wear them...like what kind of skirts (I assume no pencil skirts?) and dresses? Do you wear skirt slips under dresses and do you wear slips when your dress/skirt is not transparant?

Slips are designed for most types of skirts, even pencil skirts - for the latter, however, you'd need to find one that is short enough so that it wouldn't be visible when you walk (since most pencil skirts have a slit).

For dresses, you'd probably want a full slip, but if the dress is on the short side a half slip (skirt slip) would work just as well. As for your last question, it's completely up to you - I wear slips even when my dress/skirt isn't transparent, but I can understand why others wouldn't want to.

Slips are designed for most types of skirts, even pencil skirts - for the latter, however, you'd need to find one that is short enough so that it wouldn't be visible when you walk (since most pencil skirts have a slit).

That isn't correct. You can easily find slips with either a back or side slit that are perfect for pencil skirts.

^ Perhaps, but I've found that it is easier to just go with a shorter slip. That way you don't have to worry about anything showing. :P

I have a lovely collection of full slips from vintage and thrifts shops. When I was a single girl, I mostly used to wear them to lounge around or to sleep in, ALL my boyfriends loved them, because they're romantic and sexy at the same time. I still wear them to bed. Oh, yeah, I occasionally wear them under a sheer dress, as intended, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking of getting a couple of silk half slips... But not sure what color is best/most practical...black, nude, or white? Would the black only be useful when I wear black tights, and would it work with a lighter colored dress? (One I'm thinking of is an almond colored lightweight cashmere dress..not sure what slip would be best with that).

For that particular dress, a nude slip would likely be best, though white might work just as well. Black slips tend to show through light colored dresses, even if you wore tights along with it. Personally, I've found that it's best to wear black slips for dark dresses and white slips for everything else, but it just depends on how thin the fabric of the dress is.

Thanks seanutbutter...I know I'm getting a black (half) slip for dark dresses, but am trying to decide between the nude and white for lighter ones...I'm thinking the nude would be best?

I was thinking about this recently. I have a short chiffon skirt but it's way too sheer without a slip. I can wear it with opaque black leggings but I want to find a slip and it's so hard to get a decent one these days! I couldn't find one anywhere. I went to Victoria's Secret, and some dept. stores and came up emptyhanded. It was kind of shocking. As a little kid I I remember mother used to always, always wear a slip. But even she stopped wearing them probably in the 90s...I see UO has some but I'd prefer something made of silk, not too expensive...where does everyone get their slips from?

Most of my slips are, believe it or not, purchased brand new from thrift stores like Goodwill. You might try looking a similar store, though you'd probably have to sift through the used slips to find ones worth buying.

If that isn't your thing (and if it isn't, I certainly don't blame you!), Target also has a decent selection of full slips and half slips, and if you check their website you can find plenty for under $20. I bought a full slip there for about $15, if I remember right.

^Thanks again for the recs and for deciphering my post. "I I" don't know what happened when I was writing it:D

i don't even own a slip and i'm really thinking that i should invest in one...

i was wearing a dress this summer that was only sheer when the sun hit it...
my 50-something year old aunt looked at me and made me put on one of her slips :rolleyes:

definitely something that i need to buy...
nothing fancy... just need a slip..

hahaha that's horrible.. it's like when you're seeing pictures of yourself in a black t-shirt and realizing that you never should have worn that white bra underneath

I actually bought my slip after I bought a sheer dress... it was the only thing that would work underneath it and not make the dress cling in a weird way to the material

^^exactly..
the dress i had on was navy blue and i forget the material...
90% silk and something else i think...

once the light hits you you realize your undergarment mistakes :doh:
and ppl don't really talk about or mention slips anymore so my mind never goes to them as a solution..

i'm glad i saw this thread so i actually can go out and get a slip to be prepared for the next time i need to wear one...

So, my first post here is to write that I love slips, and I am 23 :smile:
I have silk, nylon, and cotton... several colours too.

Let's just say I had to read that article in the first post to even realise it was supposed to be that uncommon to wear them.
For me, people seeing through to my panties is not good, but mainly slips are hot!

i love slips too!

i only own a few- and in fact they have come with the dresses or bought together, because alot of the lovely transparent floaty fabrics allow light to fill...and er expose..

i find that having the fit of the slips to be exactly to size (like a glove) and in the colours of nude for "light" coloured fabrics and navy blue for "dark" fabrics covers all bases, and achieves a really nice streamlined effect where people aren't distracted by undergarment clashes.

God I love slips, I'd wear them as dresses if I could ever find one that fits! I have the figure of a 12 year old boy so needless to say most slips I come across don't quite fit. Does anyone know a good place to buy xx-small slips that could be worn as dresses? BCBG had some nice slip dresses but weren't in my size....

if this in the wrong forum I'll delete it, any suggestions would be much appreciated

I love slips and wear it almost every day.
Most of the clothes I wear are vintage dresses and they are made with the intention that the wearer will wear a slip as well.
And also it is very comfortable with a silk slip under an itchy dress.

these two are from twilfit, i have the pink one.

159.jpg

217.jpg

www.twilfit.se

I wear slips every now and then, most of the slips I own are vintage. Sometimes I wear them as intended, other times worn as a dress (layered over another slip).

Carrie Bradshaw wore numerous vintage slips on SATC, I have always thought they were so feminine and pretty.

I love slips and wear it almost every day.
Most of the clothes I wear are vintage dresses and they are made with the intention that the wearer will wear a slip as well.
And also it is very comfortable with a silk slip under an itchy dress.

these two are from twilfit, i have the pink one.
***please do not quote images***
www.twilfit.se

Those are gorgeous - I wear slips, but not often enough!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjidiakez
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->