Disappearing Trend : Slips

I love slips, I have two drawers full, i wear them under skirts and dresses at least a few times a week. In general I loved a finished look and wearing a slip makes me feel more pulled together. There is also nothing more comfortable then watching tv late at night with a slip and a sweater on. I love slips and I'm in my early 20s, slips are here to stay, just like bras and tights.

I'm a born-layerer* so I love slips. I would not be surprised to see them becoming popular again - there's something very elegant about them, but I'd like to see them in more exciting colours than the usual black or beige.

I have a few dresses that came with removable slips - it's like getting 2 for the price of one!:heart:

*layerer - a person who loves to wear many layers, feels naked without at least 2!

I could do with one actually. I have a black dress thats totally see through in the light.

they will come back full force ..........its just a matter of time

Die, slips, die. I would personally LOVE to see slips go the way of the dinosaur. There is no need for them...most of the skirts I buy are lined anyways, and if they aren't lined they are no shorter or longer than mid-thigh. Yes, I love short skirts. Slips and nude hose have no place in my wardrobe, and never will.

I'm actually wearing a full slip/chemise as I type this. I mostly wear them to bed as they're cooler in the summer than wearing a tank and shorts and look cuter, too. They're also the most comfortable thing to lounge around the apartment in. Mine aren't the lovely vintage sort (though I would like some of those) -- I actually picked them up fairly recently at Old Navy in their loungewear section.

I wouldn't hesitate to wear them as full slips under dresses if necessary. I do sometimes wear half-slips if something is sheerish or if I'm wearing a wrap dress or skirt, particularly for work. I don't consider myself a conservative or old-fashioned dresser, but I think it's distracting, unprofessional and tacky if your colleagues/boss/clients can see the full outline of your legs under a skirt or if your wrap dress flies open, exposing your underwear.

I'm actually wearing a full slip/chemise as I type this. I mostly wear them to bed as they're cooler in the summer than wearing a tank and shorts and look cuter, too. They're also the most comfortable thing to lounge around the apartment in. Mine aren't the lovely vintage sort (though I would like some of those) -- I actually picked them up fairly recently at Old Navy in their loungewear section.

I wouldn't hesitate to wear them as full slips under dresses if necessary. I do sometimes wear half-slips if something is sheerish or if I'm wearing a wrap dress or skirt, particularly for work. I don't consider myself a conservative or old-fashioned dresser, but I think it's distracting, unprofessional and tacky if your colleagues/boss/clients can see the full outline of your legs under a skirt or if your wrap dress flies open, exposing your underwear.

ooh i didn't know old navy carried slips. i might have to check them out. are they cute?

Oooh I am going to check out Urban Outfitters. And the charity shops!

ooh i didn't know old navy carried slips. i might have to check them out. are they cute?

Some of them are cuter than others:

http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/category.do?cid=38953

I have the colorblock one in black and gray, the one in the black print that looks vaguely zebra-esque (both made of rayon which I find nice and slippery and cool on a hot night). I also have a plain black cotton one which is not on the web site.

Certainly they don't compare to some of the exquisite vintage slips I've seen, but they're much cuter option for lounging than sweatpants.

Some of them are cuter than others:

http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/category.do?cid=38953

I have the colorblock one in black and gray, the one in the black print that looks vaguely zebra-esque (both made of rayon which I find nice and slippery and cool on a hot night). I also have a plain black cotton one which is not on the web site.

Certainly they don't compare to some of the exquisite vintage slips I've seen, but they're much cuter option for lounging than sweatpants.

thanks for the tip. I like the black and gray colorblock, you can never have too many black slips and i'm feeling the floral ones, I don't have any floral slips and i'm normally not into floral but for some reason those are catching my eye.

i agree i love vintage slips the most but i like a mix in my slip collection; things in different colors, prints, lengths, and from different eras.

Theres some pretty ones on etsy:
il_430xN.26063355.jpg
il_430xN.32094632.jpg
il_430xN.32571129.jpg
il_430xN.32130042.jpg

Etsy.com

I think slips are very beautiful, and can look quite sexy peeking out from under a dress. I don't think they'll ever disappear completely!

The first slip is gorgeous, Deborah! I'd love to invest in a pretty design like that - my slips are only black or white. Today I bought a Vanity Fair white half slip for $2.99 at Goodwill. The fabric is very soft and there is no visible yellowing, so I suspect it is new. Just a heads up for anyone in need of a slip - thrift stores are full of them; all you need to do is sort through the used ones and find the brand new designs.

I usually wear slips as regular dresses. I love vintage slips and I've found my most beautiful ones from thrift stores. I love to wear them in the spring/fall under a chunky knit sweaters or under shorter dresses with a bit of lace peeking out so I don't look so tarty ^_^. I don't think slips will dissapear, they are just no longer seen as pieces that should be hidden.

Also I got this dress from bcbg which looks like a slip.
image via style.com

Attachments

• 00310m[1].jpg
    00310m[1].jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 10
I just only very recently got into the idea of slips as part of an outfit instead of just being "underwear". I have seen several outfits wherein the lace bottoms are peeking out from under skirts/ dresses, which is so subtly sexy IMO. :heart:

The all saints slips are lovely. I have wanted for a while. They do silky ones as well now.
But, they can look a bit tarty on girls with big boobs, I went with my friend to get one and the pink one looked too much with her breasts. She got cream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Filanga
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->