Vegan Style

Love this thread.
It's nice to know that people have the same problems like I do :lol:
Like...I can wear Stella McCartney's shoes but what to do in winter when it's really cold?
I have maltese dog and I would die if somebody killed him just to make leather shoes and bags. It's cruel and not necessary to kill animals.

(OK, so I'm mostly posting to keep this thread alive... :heart:)

In the really cold winter, I usually wear faux leather boots with thick socks and tights. If it's really, really, cold I layer.

I've never really understood the "warmth" explanation. For example, is leather really warmer than cotton? Unless you are in the pouring rain where the leather is repelling the water, I don't think so. And are fur coats really that much warmer - or is it the plush lining doing all the work?

It really does come down to fashion - there is no way that it's necessary or better.

But it's Spring! We shouldn't have to think about staying warm and boots for awhile, I hope! :lol:

Up-ing this thread :-)

I'm vegetarian, slowly progressing towards being vegan. The other day I was shooting with a well known MUA here in France that is an animal rights activist and vegan. We were talking about it and she was telling me how all the products she uses were vegan, and that people should affect the change in the ways they can.
I'm very interested in many social justice issues, but sometimes wonder what I can do to make a difference. After that talk and thinking about people like Stella McCartney who showed the industry that you can give up the furs, skins, etc without compromising the design/fashion, I really would like to promote more brands and pieces that are vegan to further support the whole movement. People are more open to it nowadays and I'm pretty sure there must be a number of really cool brands that combine interesting designs/fashion forward pieces with animal friendly (vegan) fabrics.

Would anyone be interested in starting a list of them with me? :-)

Stella McCartney (obviously)
I saw Amelie Pichard had Pamela Anderson collaborate with her shoe brand to make vegan pumps.
I borrowed from a brand called Sankuanz for my last shoot and the leather was vegan, the fabric was amazing(!)

if the alternative to leather is plastic, I don't know that it's a good idea for the planet- in all honesty...
killing animals obviously sucks...
but killing the entire planet is definitely worse...
:ermm:

Recycled plastic works for me (though I understand that it tends to shed microplastics in the wash more than unrecycled). I think there are other alternatives, but I don't know a lot about them.

While it's not vegetarian, there's fish skin that's a byproduct of fish that's being eaten. I've seen shoes and a surfboard made of fish skin.

I really try to avoid polyester, but darned if I don't end up with some of it anyway :(

It's not that fashion-forward, but Patagonia does a lot of fleece (and other things too I believe) made from recycled plastic bottles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->