Vegan Style

Yes non leather shoes are available in cheap store... but it's difficult cause more of the time i don't like them... difficult!!

I eat cheese only when they are without... i don't know the english word for that :rolleyes: ... that's annoying at the beginning, but with the time, it's automatic...

Just wanted to note re green dry cleaners ... in some areas it's not very well publicized. I had been going to a cleaners that publicized they were green, and then they destroyed a key item in my wardrobe :doh: so I went back to my previous cleaners. Then I noticed the little stickers they had on their doors explaining they are green. So it's worth asking/calling around to find out who uses green cleaning methods--they may promote being a top-rated cleaner or their service instead of the green part, if they have all those things to choose from (as mine does).

i turned in some clothes to the dry cleaner today, the normal one.. feeling guilty.....

elsaskywalker - its called rennet. i don't eat it either, but sometimes it's hard to avoid when being served food.
when i lived in england it was so much easier, they had loads of vegetarian cheese and always clearly marked.

Just came across a book called The Compassionate Carnivore, and wondered if anyone's read it?

i turned in some clothes to the dry cleaner today, the normal one.. feeling guilty.....

elsaskywalker - its called rennet. i don't eat it either, but sometimes it's hard to avoid when being served food.
when i lived in england it was so much easier, they had loads of vegetarian cheese and always clearly marked.

exactly... i lived in england too! they are so lucky that the products are marked if it's suitable to vegetarians... i hope they'll do the same in france, it's so much easy for us...

I completely understand the difficulty you are having. I've been a vegetarian for about 11 years now, and most of my diet is vegan. I have these to-die-for suede boots someone bought me, and every time I think about wearing them, I feel like a hypocrite.

So yes, I say distract yourself with alternatives. As some have mentioned, Stella McCartney makes great alternatives, as does Te Casan.

For more affordable alternatives, you know Tom's are always good, and you can find quite a few types at Urban. Also, Madden Girl sometimes makes vegan footwear.

If you are looking for eco-friendly clothing, check out Heidi&Seek.

And if you need beauty product suggestions, if you decide you want to go down that route, just let me know! :D

Any interesting alternatives to a leather jacket? Part of the appeal of a leather jacket to me has always been a certain cool or rebellious feeling. So anything with a similar attitude shouldn't be terribly hard to find....right?

I'm kind of thinking of a beat-up black/grey denim jacket with all the same appeal of a biker jacket. But I don't know. Haven't seen it in action yet. The least it could do is put all my band patches to work.

I know a lot of cheaper stores carry only faux-leather jackets, like Forever21 and H&M. You might have to know your materials beforehand though to be able to properly judge if it's faux or real because the SAs aren't always sure. I recently bought a motercyclish cotton/nylon jacket from H&M and I have the AA faux leather hoodie. I'll try to take pictures later.

reLYME--Thanks for the suggestions! Too bad Te Casan are updating their site right now. I'm really curious to see.

I've been looking through Etsy at purses a lot lately and found some interesting stuff. I'll post some if I get around to it.

Just noticed that gaiam.com has some fabric (silk, canvas) bags ... they're also fair trade.

I'm a little confused here.
Pavement, are you looking for animal-friendly products or non-animal products?

If you're a vegetarian, why won't you be leather? I mean, vegetarians eat animal products such as eggs, cheese and milk and I just don't see that big of a difference between milk and leather.

I'm not trying to take this off topic, but just to clarify if we are looking for vegan clothes or animal-friendly clothes.

Being a vegetarian myself, I'd like to know which brands and designers are animal-friendly (and not necessarily vegan).

There's a big difference between milk and leather... cause there is leather because of the kill of the animal while milk don't require the kill oh the cow...

That's not really true... A cow needs to give birth to at least one calf per year to be ably to produce milk. And that little calf is not likely to live for very long.

But, I use milk, I would get ill otherwise. But if I could I would not eat anything that has to do with an animal at all.

Yay, pavement, more vegetarian/vegans! :heart:

And thanks Hanne, for the Vivienne Westwood link. I had been trying to remember who she had collaborated with after I saw (ok, I'm a bit embarrassed) Pamela Anderson in some of those shoes. :lol: Sooo cute.

Here are some other threads, some are pretty dead, so let's get some new posts going!

Vegetarian thread (mostly about food and ethics:(
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/f45/vegetarian-9173.html

Animal Friendly/Non-Leather Shoes:
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/f48/animal-friendly-non-leather-shoes-52704.html

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not really true... A cow needs to give birth to at least one calf per year to be ably to produce milk. And that little calf is not likely to live for very long.

But, I use milk, I would get ill otherwise. But if I could I would not eat anything that has to do with an animal at all.

Really? :huh: Not true for humans, I didn't realize it was different for anyone else ... And I'm not sure why you assume the calf is not going to be cared for?

Just fyi, US organic standards also include standards for how the animals are treated. Horizon is infamous for not following the standards, but in general if you buy organic milk you are also buying a higher standard of living for the animals. IMO you are always better off buying from a smaller dairy/farm ...

Really? :huh: Not true for humans, I didn't realize it was different for anyone else ... And I'm not sure why you assume the calf is not going to be cared for?

Just fyi, US organic standards also include standards for how the animals are treated. Horizon is infamous for not following the standards, but in general if you buy organic milk you are also buying a higher standard of living for the animals. IMO you are always better off buying from a smaller dairy/farm ...

im pretty sure a woman needs to get pregnant in order for her to produce milk.

oh oh oh. and many dairy cows are get forced abortions so the calf dont end up drinking the mothers milk after birth. the process is repeated, which is the sad part of it all.

When I first created this thread, I wasn't sure personally whether to go vegan or vegetarian, but I figured it didn't matter very much. Anyone can post whatever they want as long as it applies to either.

After more reading on the subject I myself have decided on veganism. I personally would avoid silk or wool, but others of course doesn't have to. So if I find something really cool that someone else can wear, I may just post it.

I don't understand how leather can be the same as milk, as it is often a by-product of the meat industry (or else comes from a completely different animal.) If one morally opposes meant (obviously not talking about dietary vegetarians here,) then I don't know why they would support the use of leather.

The Humane Society's website has guides for what the labels mean on egg, meat and dairy products. The better regulations are still not something I would for, but I wish that others would. "Certified Humane" is a good one to look out for.

Eggs:
http://www.hsus.org/farm/resources/pubs/animal_welfare_claims_on_egg_cartons.html

Meat and dairy:
http://www.hsus.org/farm/resources/pubs/meat_and_dairy_labels.html

im pretty sure a woman needs to get pregnant in order for her to produce milk.

oh oh oh. and many dairy cows are get forced abortions so the calf dont end up drinking the mothers milk after birth. the process is repeated, which is the sad part of it all.

I am under that impression too, but it's not once a year :wink: The milk is there as long as she continues to nurse, unless some trauma occurs to interrupt it. I always assumed it was the same with cows.

I was not aware of what you're saying ... :(

As far as silk, there is silk that's made from abandoned chrysalises (if that's the proper term in the case of silk worms :huh:), which is called wild silk. And of course there's also recycled silk ... things made from silk kimonos, etc.

As an omnivore, I would agree that leather is nothing like milk ... it's more like fur, but without the pretension and with significantly more utility :innocent:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->