Velvet blazers - chic or lame?

Babypink920

Reaction score
My sister gave me a velvet blazer similar to this (below). I see a lot of so called preppy stores selling them, and my overall style is not preppy, its more city chic, so to speak. I don't know why but something about velvet blazers gives me an 80s vibe! and I'm not so much an 80s fan. so wondering if i should incorporate it into my wardrobe. What are your thoughts on it, or on velvet blazers in general? are they classic?

jcrewbella1.jpg
AAAAApe8a-EAAAAAAGNt0A.jpg

blog.kaboodle.com

Last edited by a moderator:
i like velvet blazers. was thinking of getting one from zara actually for the fall. the one above is very cute so i say it's a keeper!

I have a few velvet blazers myself and love them for their warmth and elegance.
It is much nicer than a corduroy version (which is very 80's).
The picture you have shown has a Ralph Lauren styling (which is also very 80's) but need not be as you can style it gothic, romantic or grungy depending on your mood.
Tip: I have always washed mine to give it a worn in, cardigan quality. Just make sure the sizing can take a smaller fit and do it in tepid water.

i have that blazer in your pic...^_^
i wear it with jeans and a tee to make a more casual outfit a bit dressier (you can wear with chucks and a knit scarf or trouser jeans and sandals), or i've worn mine over a dress or mini skirt and tights for nights out...
i like velvet blazers more fitted, like the one above as opposed to boyfriend styles...

I also have a blue velvet jacket, the same colour as on the pic above
I usually wear it with jeans, whatever blue, black, or grey
Alena Akhmadullina f/w 07-08 showed a lot of them and I've been totally sold to them :heart:
foto13.jpg

aufeminin

They were a huge trend a few years back, I associate them with that rather than the 80s ... but I think this blazer's cute, and it was free :P So I'd say yes, if it will incorporate with your wardrobe, go ahead. If it doesn't, then I would cut it loose ...

I have a crushed burgundy velvet one but I only seem to wear it around christmas...:rolleyes:

Ooh chic! I love my H&M one. I wear it with jeans or thrown over a dress.
DSCF1594.jpg

mariemaud - that Akhmadullina is beautiful :wub:

I have one that I love, but,whenever I wear it I feel like one of those student/hippie/wannabe intellectual types.

Love that, diamond star.:heart:

Count me with velvet blazers fans. I've got two, one in navy, slightly oversized and another one in fuschia.. both second-hand. I wear them with thin sweaters underneath or bow shirts during winter or light dresses in summer.. not really into making them too casual, I think I like their 'refined' aspect to remain intact. -_-

actually today i saw someone with a velvet blazer and fell in love with it, and was thinking about making me one (im a sewing freak) call me crazy but i havent notice they were back. im glad though, i hate all skimply clothing trends for winter!

im glad i found this thread. ive been contemplating on buying a velvet blazer from jcrew on sale for $90. i cant decide what color yet, but i really like how the yellow looks in person (strange color, i know). the only way i can think of wearing it is with jeans and a tank, especially if i got the yellow.

erez

erez

jcrew.com

I adore velvet blazers! I think they are a classic. I hate most of 80s trends, and I have never associated these with that decade...

However, when choosing one, I think the blazer should be quite plain. I have seen ones with elaborate stitching and gold lamé etc., which makes it look like a smoking jacket - not the preferable effect in my opinion.

I like the one in the pic, so id keep it. I think it all depends how you wear it

I have two velvet blazers. They are both the exact same style except one is black and one is maroon. They are made by Diane Von Furstenberg. I loved it so much when they were in stores that I had to buy two. The shoulders are kinda ruffled. Adorable and very classic. So yes I think velvet blazers are a staple in a girl's wardrobe.

I dont like them that much anymore, kinda got tired of seeing everyone wear them.

I love velvet in general because it catches light so well, the texture is cozy and it's really versatile.

So I have a few velvet items in my Fall Winter wardrobe including jackets.

My black velvet jacket is quite fitted and I often wear it by day or night.

The usual casual outfit is with boyfriend jeans or cords, a loose tee, heels/ballet flats/ sneakers or with a floral dress and boots. At night, lbd and heels.

Chic, when used well. Someone like Ellen DeGeneres uses them well!

I have grown a love for them again. I hated them for a few years because it looked so dated in that nineties indie kid that loves the Manic Street Preachers way, but now they're cut beautifully and look fabulous. I'm going to find me one, I saw a really lovely example of one in the new Reiss lookbook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliburum
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->