Victorian & Edwardian F/W 05.06

utopia

ingenue
Reaction score
okay well we've had gothic threads and lolita threads of every genre, but I've realised there is no thread on victorian and edwardian influence in style. there's lots of it on the runways, and I love it. I think it's a fantastic and a really great alternative to the bohemian and peasanty styles that are so predominant.

I'll start with some of robert cary william's pieces for the a/w 2005, which definitely evoke a victorian mood...a crinoline, a dress, and a petticoat (we'll just ignore that ugly un-victorian zipped jacket :P) from robert cary williams...

(all pics from http://www.vogue.co.uk)

Attachments

• robertcarywilliams05_1.JPG
    robertcarywilliams05_1.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 22
  • robertcarywilliams06_2.jpg
    robertcarywilliams06_2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 26
  • robertcarywilliams05_3.JPG
    robertcarywilliams05_3.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited by a moderator:
and some more subdued influences at peter som a/w 2005...

(all from http://www.style.com)

00020f.jpg
00050f.jpg

00200f.jpg
00010f.jpg

and not so subdued from jill stuart...

00090f.jpg
00340f.jpg

00260f.jpg

from sinha stanic...a bit girlish, but but definitely has the victorian/edwardian look to it. looks like something I'd find in a trunk in my great-grandmother's attic. :heart:

(from http://www.style.com)

00050f.jpg

and a lot of really great pieces from nicole farhi...

(from http://www.vogue.co.uk)

farhi029.jpg

farhi030.jpg

farhi046.jpg

farhi049.jpg

i love your topics!
and i love the sinha stanic dress you posted...
i am in a victorian mood so i'll add some variety, o.k.?

victorian women from www.sensibilty.com

the house to live in

victorian patterns

and, of course, one of j.m. cameron's magnificent weary ladies...

Attachments

• victorianhouse.jpg
    victorianhouse.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 10
  • victo.jpg
    victo.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 5
  • irishvictorian.jpg
    irishvictorian.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 6
  • victorianpatterns.gif
    victorianpatterns.gif
    101.7 KB · Views: 8
  • cameron_mariana.jpg
    cameron_mariana.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 8
I think this is a very beautiful look, though I wouldn't want it to go too far and women to begin wearing corsets again.

can someone please explain the difference btw edwardian and victorian...and also the overlap-or similarities...
what were the original years of this style and period in fashion...what are some signature elements that are identified with the time period?...

thanks... :flower:

softgrey said:
can someone please explain the difference btw edwardian and victorian...and also the overlap-or similarities...
what were the original years of this style and period in fashion...what are some signature elements that are identified with the time period?...

I think the differenz is mainly in time.Victoria was Queen from 1837-1901 and edward from 1901-1910. I think the typical victorian style is a wide skirt with crinoline tiny waist thanks to a corset like here http://www.koshka-the-cat.com/fashion2.html. though during her reign there were also a lot of different styles.
During edwards reign a rather slim line was in fashion, no more crinolines. and I think it was also the time of the gibson girl I think. like these http://dept.kent.edu/museum/costume/bonc/3timesearch/tstwentieth/1900-1909/1900-1909.html

hope this helps - though it's not my special field (which would be regency fashion:smile: ) anyway I'm sure as you like it will correct me if I'm wrong somewhere :flower:

softgrey said:

unfortunately there is no quick way to explain it... :ninja: most everyone has given pretty give simple explanations and examples. this is my pet subject (planning doing my dissertation on a related topic next year :woot:) but I can get really wordy...so I'll refer you to this:

http://www.fashion-era.com/the_victorian_era.htm and http://fashion-era.com/1890-1914_la_belle_epoque.htm give quite good, simple overviews of victorian and edwardian fashion movements, respectively.

so really the terms "victorian" and "edwardian" encompass numerous fashion movements...from gibson girls to aesthetes to rationals to bustles to crinolines, the popular styles changed pretty much every decade of victoria's reign, and the edwardians saw quite a few different variations as well...

victorian/edwardian elements that you see in today's fashions do often contain overlapping elements. high collars, lace and frills, puffy sleeves, really highly stylised feminine details, etc...basically my examples evoke victorian and edwardian elements.

some more pictures... two from an editorial I came across two or three years ago (maybe italian vogue...?)...I can't for the life of me remember what it was from. whatever it was it really inspired me...because the clothes are modern-day - not costumes, but it looks really, really victorian.

Attachments

• drzhivago2.jpg
    drzhivago2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 31
  • drzhivago1.jpg
    drzhivago1.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 47
Lilliana said:
During edwards reign a rather slim line was in fashion, no more crinolines. and I think it was also the time of the gibson girl I think.
The "S-corset" became popular as well, it was a very different female body image. During the Victorian era, a woman was meant to be tiny waisted, with accentuation around the upper torso and with a full, wide skirt. The Edwardian woman was much more slender looking. She would typically have a high hairstyle and hat (those "puffed" styles you'll see) and a miniscule waistline. The corset, as may be seen by the name was intended to project the busom forward and the rear out behind.

Edwardian style- hopefully some of these images will be familiar to you? :neutral:

showgirl2_small.jpg
2.jpg

rose8.jpg

I love this thread :flower: I've definitely been noticing influences from both the Victorian & Edwardian eras on the runways of late, which I've really started liking ^_^ thankyou so much for the pics and info everyone :woot:

thanks to everyone who responded to my question...:flower:

i was really just looking for a basic overview which i thought would be useful to me and to others reading this thread to gain more familiarity with the elements that are considered either victorian or edwardian...and why they might be in the same category...
from what i understand...key elements are..

ruffles
ribbons
bows
passimentry?
lace
taffeta
velvet
puffed shoulders
bustles
small fitted jackets
mutton sleeves
rows of covered buttons(preen)
little lace up 'granny' boots
cameos
capes/capelets
shawls
NO PANTS...:lol:

does that sound accurate...?...did i miss anything?...

softgrey said:
thanks to everyone who responded to my question...:flower:

i was really just looking for a basic overview which i thought would be useful to me and to others reading this thread to gain more familiarity with the elements that are considered either victorian or edwardian...and why they might be in the same category...
from what i understand...key elements are..

ruffles
ribbons
bows
passimentry?
lace
taffeta
velvet
puffed shoulders
bustles
small fitted jackets
mutton sleeves
rows of covered buttons(preen)
little lace up 'granny' boots
cameos
capes/capelets
shawls
NO PANTS...:lol:

does that sound accurate...?...did i miss anything?...

If any of that means corsets than you are completely right :lol:

i'm speaking about elements in current womenswear...not seeing a whole lot of corsets on the runways...or on the street...

but fair enough...

add corset to the list...:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yujiaolong666
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->