Victorian & Edwardian F/W 05.06

It does actually. Blouse-like shape,band collar,intricately rich detailings...

I love this whole look, ive always loved victoriana. I love the jackets.

Utopia, those pictures were fabulas

00300f.jpg
00410f.jpg

In the D&G FW 0506 show....pics from www.style.com

cheers tiamaria. ^_^

luxmode, that josep font top is lovely...definitely a has the period feel to it.

here's some new runway stuff from http://www.style.com...

alberta ferretti...the first dress just seems a bit edwardian because of the empire waist and texture variations. the second one for the ruffled sheer blouse. all a bit gothic-y crossover :ermm: but still has an edwardian vibe to it.
00460f.jpg
00180f.jpg

and some anna molinari, from http://www.vogue.co.uk...

very pretty chemise-style blouse... second piece is er...well the neckline looks early victorian. the rest is a bit of a rebellion against victorian modesty. :P

00030f.jpg

00480f.jpg

Antonio Berardi ss05 can't remember the souce :doh:

Attachments

• antonio berardi ss05-01.jpg
    antonio berardi ss05-01.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 8
What period would a swaybacked, S-shaped dress belong to Victorian or Edwardian :unsure: ..I'm thinking Edwardian but I'm not sure..

Anyways Zac Posen A/W 05 again can't recall source :doh:

Attachments

• zac posen aw05-01.jpg
    zac posen aw05-01.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 333
Last edited by a moderator:
This skirt from Jurgi Persoons which resembles a Victorian petticoat.

Attachments

• 00004.L.JPG
    00004.L.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 1
Also this embellished coat which has a sort of Victorian feel. Alot of his work had Victorian connotations.

Attachments

• c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 326
thanks for posting that site, lacefab. ^_^ some of the stuff on there is amazing...it's incredible to me that clothes like that still manage to survive the centuries when not in a museum setting. great site for collectors. :heart:

McQueen s/s 2005 referenced the Edwardian era, I believe...

00010f.jpg
00020f.jpg

00030f.jpg
00040f.jpg

00050f.jpg
00060f.jpg

style.com

jennifer~ said:
McQueen s/s 2005 referenced the Edwardian era, I believe...

mmm, yes, very very nice. ^_^ mcqueen is the master of taking historial influences and somehow managing to make them incredibly modern and almost take them outside of time. love the pompadour hair especially. :heart:

^ indeed :heart:

Rochas (f/w 05) was also described as Edwardian... :heart:...

00010f.jpg
00020f.jpg

00250f.jpg
00290f.jpg

style.com

Last edited by a moderator:
So it looks like victorian inspired looks are already appearing in many mainstream fall lines. For example, this top for Banana Republic (from bananarepublic.com:(
br330647-00p1.jpg

and this similar one from Free People (from nordstrom.com:
159441.jpg

My question is, do you think turn of the century looks are going to be just as overdone as boho was this summer? If so, does this make you reconsider purchasing (or pulling out of the closet) victorian inspired pieces this fall?

I personally think we'll be seeing lots of people wearing these kind of victorian style tops and jackets paired with jeans. I'm not quite sure if the dresses and such will be as prevalent. Thus far, I've only planned on purchasing a dress, and I think I still will.

amazing thread, thanks for reviving tourist :flower:

to reply to your question, yes i believe turn-of-the-century is destined to be huge this winter, but like all trends is in how do one wears it.. especially this trend is calling for very inspiring interpretations

i can see trousers in this look, very much bloomer styles or masculine pinstripes worn rebelious with frilly transparent blouses with high neck and empire lines.. fitted 'antic soldier's jackets will also hold most of the trend down the highstreet

*Zara has already a huge fw05.06 turn-of-the-century range on display, it looks quite cute and fun to play with :heart:

softgrey said:
thanks to everyone who responded to my question...:flower:

i was really just looking for a basic overview which i thought would be useful to me and to others reading this thread to gain more familiarity with the elements that are considered either victorian or edwardian...and why they might be in the same category...
from what i understand...key elements are..

ruffles
ribbons
bows
passimentry?
lace
taffeta
velvet
puffed shoulders
bustles
small fitted jackets
mutton sleeves
rows of covered buttons(preen)
little lace up 'granny' boots
cameos
capes/capelets
shawls
NO PANTS...:lol:

does that sound accurate...?...did i miss anything?...

Soft, your breakdown sounds accurate to me.

passementerie means (for those who don't know, because I didn't, and I went and looked it up) :smile:

def.
Ornamental trimming for a garment, as braid, lace, or metallic beads.Thanks Soft for the info. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2000scvnty
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->