Victorian & Edwardian F/W 05.06

Lena, you make a great point, it's definitely how the trend is worn. I don't think women are ready to completely give up on the sexy silhouette quite yet, which is why I feel the most popular look for the masses will involve tops such as the ones posted above with designer jeans and heels, a look that is destined to end up in the "Trends I'm sick of" thread. :P

I'm not sure how bloomers and high neck blouses will be embraced by the public, but it's going to be interesting to see what elements of this trend translate into street wear. As a lay person who likes to follow fashion, I find it incredibly fascinating how trends trickle down from the runways to the streets, esp now in the digital information age.

I must check out Zara soon!

two more examples, from Elie Kishimoto fw05.06 :heart:

Attachments

• ek turn.jpg
    ek turn.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 3
  • ek turn1.jpg
    ek turn1.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 2
one more from Junya Watanabe fw05.06

Attachments

• junya vict.jpg
    junya vict.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 2
I really think Victoriana will become a big trend among average retail stores this season. Already, the first fall pieces the stores are receiving include lacy blouses with high necks. Banana Republic and Old Navy both had them.
Runway-wise, my favourite was this Prada dress:
00500m.jpg

*Happiness* said:
Soft, your breakdown sounds accurate to me.

passementerie means (for those who don't know, because I didn't, and I went and looked it up) :smile:

def.
Ornamental trimming for a garment, as braid, lace, or metallic beads.Thanks Soft for the info. :flower:
my pleasure...
and thanks for clarifying the spelling and definition of passimentrie... :wink: :heart:

i agree with tourist that the mainstream adaptaion of this look will be a lacy top with jeans...

but....
how boring is THAT?!?!...:wacko:

my version will be gothic victioriana (thx for the term scott) as discussed in this thread...
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28554

lots of smoky greys.... :wink: :heart:

:heart: Prada detail

Attachments

• prada folk embr.jpg
    prada folk embr.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 2
  • prada motifs embr.jpg
    prada motifs embr.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 2
softgrey said:
i agree with tourist that the mainstream adaptaion of this look will be a lacy top with jeans...

but....
how boring is THAT?!?!...:wacko:

I completely agree, it is boring, and it's a look not too divergent from the past vintage trends of a fancy vintage top with jeans. We've been seeing the same old thing for a while now on the streets. I will be pleasantly surprised if more women embrace the victorian inspired dresses and skirts for fall.

Thanks Lena and Pastry for the additional pictures! :heart: the dresses

i like the victorian/ edwardian because it's not afraid the put the 'frou' in frou frou.
anything that looks like wilted flowers is fine by me.

oh, so tragic.

I am definitely excited by this Victorian/Edwardian influence that has been popping up in the f/w collections.

Some of my favourite pieces on the runway are :

The [size=-1]silohuette of the above pieces look decidely Edwardian

Heavier Victorian influences here:

I dropped by Zara last night and really, there were some fun Victoriana pieces to play around with! I got myself a linen cream lace blouse with pom-pom trimming - it looks vintage and at a very reasonable price too! The obvious ways that I can think of to wear this trend would be to wear one accent piece at a time.

Another popular store that has a decidly heavy Victorian/Edwardian influence for this season is Anthropologie.

Pics from style.com. Chloe' F/W 05 collection.

[/size]

You're welcome Softie :flower: :lol:

Lena,must say I absolutely adore crochet lace as with the Prada pics :heart:

Hi, Tourist, I used to have a "problem" where I was looking for things years ahead of actual availability. Very frustrating ... now the approach I try to take is to embrace what IS, celebrating what I think is the best of the best of the current season. Other people being or not being on the same page doesn't bother me. I might also note that I don't live in a particularly fashion-forward part of the country. I know people who've seen their clothes on other people, or turned up at a party in the same dress as someone else ... I literally cannot remember that ever happening to me.

still think it's going to be about tight, high necked edwardian ruffled blouses with low slung skinny jeans this fall-- at least for me!

Spike413 said:
Style.com seems to have taken a hint from all of tFS's Victoriana/Edwardiana lovers.....

:wink: thanks for the update spike :flower:

emma peel said:
still think it's going to be about tight, high necked edwardian ruffled blouses with low slung skinny jeans this fall-- at least for me!

Most definitely. I saw a photo in this months vogue that i am obsessed with-they had the model in Gucci cigarette pants with a sexy bell sleeved shirt. I'm going to be doing this with skinny jeans.

I like this trend..:shifty:
Did you know that in the victorian time people even put fabric to furnitures' feet, so they wouldn't remind anyone about bare thighs? I just read this from a history book..

This era's clothing has always been my absolute favourite...so romantic and beautifulo. I can't wait to buy new items this fall to add to some of the vintage pieces I already own...I just hope it doesn't get overdone.

I would kill for the first Chloé dress in post #70, btw. Chloé dresses seem to be getting a lot more expensive every season but I seriously think that I will need to splurge and buy it...I already know where I would wear it...and it seems pretty timeless to me so I would be able to wear it for years to come...

Amazing thread. Thanks for the pics everyone, especially those from the V & A utopia. It bought back some great memories of my visit there. I love the apparent 'excessiveness' of this period.

Arug that's interesting. I had no idea. I also find it interesting that while women seemed so restricted in this period (it's beautifully reflected in their undergarments) Queen Victoria was actually a strong advocate for women's rights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yujiaolong666
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->