Vintage Magazine Discussion Thread

Sorry for bother, for example, i made 3 accounts to get 9 free issues of VI, i was look on eBay, the previews of many issues of the mag (especially from 85-89 & 96-99). I know that these mags are very expensive, but seeing these previews, the editorials looked great & that way, i choosed the issues.

cottommouth, I created the thread of Vogue Italia July/August 1985, if you checked out. Well, this issue had 2 amazing.stories by Meisel with Veronica Webb & Cecilia Chancellor.

Here are the links. :flower:
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/showpost.php?p=12920923&postcount=16
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/showpost.php?p=12920943&postcount=17

^ Wow i have never seen those eds, thanks so much for getting, and posting them.

Thanks Mikel for another suggestion.

RosieNikolaeva I always separate the pages. That's the only way I found to keep my collection settled in folds. And is the only way to get perfect/complete scans. My future desire is reprint in high quality and make portfolios. The pages I don't want to keep I re-sell on internet.

Hello gang!
I too made various a/c to check out the Italian Vogue Archives. The mid eighties are my favourites because the contents are a dream. I just don't get the covers - they are atrocious.

Here's what I've learned from scanning magazines.

I used to just keep the entire magazine, but now I use the hairdryer method. It takes time but it's worth it. I put all my clippings in a folder that is too small for the paper. Scraps all go in recycling.

I think my next purchases are going to be Italian Glamours (princess_snt9 or whatever she's called has some but they are quite pricey), early Allures (kinda obscure), and Vogue Deutsch (having more and more of a presence on eBay, vegas4001 looks promising but still a bit pricey) issues, now that the need to scan Vogue Italia issues has been obsoleted in a sense.

And yes Virginia, I have made about seven VIA accounts. One with my email, one with my old email, one with my mum's email, four with disposable emails. I'm putting dibs on March 1993, July 1993 and December 1994.

I think that account is from VFiles themselves. They sold them and other issues [Interview, XY, Per Lui etc] when they first published the scans.

I found amazing lookbooks (Chanel, Armani, Versace and others)
Surfing through the tags is a good tip, thanks!

Spent the last twenty minutes watching all those Escada catalogs going for insane money on eBay. I put in some realistic money but I was outbid on all of them.

I'm very close to having a hairdryer session with the last LV and all my Face issues after I clean my dump of a room. The LV will be put up on here, the Faces are to be adorning my walls.
Then I'll probably take a break from scanning with the exception of a British Vogue issue and probably my tabloids until I have another eBay haul. My last haul was spent on more books than magazines, and the only magazines I bought were newspaper supplements from 1993-4.

Ditto on that amazing vfiles link. that '98 copy of Cheap Date looks amazeballs, along with that Bob Richardson lensed issue of BIG. the covers alone are uber rare, let alone the content!

As far as 'scanning tips' i like usin fingernails and bare feet. Let me explain :lol:

PREP the page you want to remove with something to score along each side of said page to help pry apart the glue on the binding.

I normally just use my fingernail. but any precise yet not overly sharp or wide tool should work, as long as you're not roughing up or creating little tears on the opposite page as you score the binding.

This step is important, so I usually make several passes on each side to ensure a clean tear. Ideally you should see partial circular holes like a perforated edge along the page where the thread in the binding was holding the page in.

Another tip is to flex open the entire magazine away from the page you wanna remove. thicker issues are more challenging. (When i'm done I take the entire mag and roll the binding into one direction so it lays more evenly).

REMOVE your socks, straddle the magazine with both feet holding down both sides with the page to be removed in the middle. Apply gentle yet firm pressure with your feet and carefully tear out the page. The page should give way without much effort. Sounds lewd and crude :lol: but logistically speaking and pressure-wise this makes perfect sense when you do it. Clean feet are preferred!

As far as the actual scanning, I also like using a piece of Black construction paper on top to prevent bleed through of the image on the other side of the page. Fiddle with the settings, sometimes the photo or document settings yield better results.

I guess I've been prepping magazines for scanning wrong all this time! :lol:

The Price of Periodical Preservation and Beauty

Seriously it works. Someone give it a go!

My hair has been in various states of bedhead since I was a child. The thought of a blow dryer anywhere in the vicinity frightens my low maintenance hair ethos :lol:

Plus I don't like the wa wa effect of simply folding and flattening open the entire magazine and scanning. I just can't...unless anyone has tips on how to get the cleanest scans without tearin up the mag, which admittedly does make me sad, hence my selective scanning history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Realktz
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"