Vintage Magazine Discussion Thread

It's certainly something vintage magazine fans should be considering. I back up everything on places like Dropbox and Amazon S3. You have to pay but at least your stuff is safe.

All the great, hard work that has been posted on imagepost and imgbox and other places is not the way to go. These are free services. They have no interest in archiving your images.

If enough people were in agreement about the future, I could look into some kind of way to store all this stuff. Everyone would have to chip in financially and it would not be a forum. It would, however, be a fairly cheap way to catalogue tens of thousands of images before they are lost forever.

TFS is a treasure of vintage work that will probably eventually go the same way as all other forums. It's just a matter of time.

Even on here, check your favourite threads on the early pages and see how many pictures have already been lost because the hosting company folded or whatever.

I agree some what with Mai Iwano. You don't have to pay to ensure the safety of your images. I have personally back up my stuff using email and photo sharing sites like flickr for the important stuff. For the less important stuff, I also use different image host to post in each forum I belong to which has proved very useful. Most of the time, I can copy and paste the images again.

I know people who upload their stuff onto the servers of forums or websites like famousfix. I know one member who posts all their stuff onto facebook. Another one of my friends uses dropbox which is great if you want to share images or move/transfer/send a large amount of images. There are tons of ways to make sure your images won't be lost forever but nothing is 100% fool proof.

As long as people are reporting images, unless your images are on your own server or password protected, you are going to lose images. I understand artist's wanting to protect their work, but we aren't profiting off of these images. We are properly sourcing them and appreciating their art, unlike most of the internet. Maybe if we made this vintage section visible to members only, we don't have to worry about people reporting the images. If the general public can't get to these images, we won't have to worry about non-members abusing them. This forum is already invite only to ensure quality. Perhaps we should start locking certain areas to protect it as well.

Yep, I agree ^

All of the Internet posts images without giving any credits but nobody's taking those websites down. For example, there was this great Tumblr blog called thecakebar (I really loved it) and the owner credited everything with the correct source but they still took the page down. I no longer think that my pages are safe so I've no idea how to share images with people if I eventually have them taken down.

What are we going to do if we're no longer allowed to post vintage mags on here? I think we gotta think of a plan b...

what about a facebook group for vintage mags and ads?

Same problem as free hosting anywhere else. The issue is preserving all the work that has already been posted.

I was looking through the Gia Carangi thread yesterday. The early photographs are already gone because the hosting company collapsed or whatever. Go to any thread on TFS and check back to 2004 or 2005, those photographs are gone.

I joined Bellazon in 2008 but I only recently found out that there was another forum prior to that. Apparently, a huge store of photographs were lost, including really rare ones of Gail Elliott. :heart:

It has to be a paid solution. No internet company is interested in preserving stuff for free.

Also, my proposed solution would mean that that the images would not be displayed as a forum, more a database that could be kept updated and tagged correctly. We are talking about literally thousands of photographs.

Regards

I agree some what with Mai Iwano. You don't have to pay to ensure the safety of your images. I have personally back up my stuff using email and photo sharing sites like flickr for the important stuff. For the less important stuff, I also use different image host to post in each forum I belong to which has proved very useful. Most of the time, I can copy and paste the images again.

I know people who upload their stuff onto the servers of forums or websites like famousfix. I know one member who posts all their stuff onto facebook. Another one of my friends uses dropbox which is great if you want to share images or move/transfer/send a large amount of images. There are tons of ways to make sure your images won't be lost forever but nothing is 100% fool proof.

As long as people are reporting images, unless your images are on your own server or password protected, you are going to lose images. I understand artist's wanting to protect their work, but we aren't profiting off of these images. We are properly sourcing them and appreciating their art, unlike most of the internet. Maybe if we made this vintage section visible to members only, we don't have to worry about people reporting the images. If the general public can't get to these images, we won't have to worry about non-members abusing them. This forum is already invite only to ensure quality. Perhaps we should start locking certain areas to protect it as well.

I think restricting access to people who want to see vintage fashion is a great idea. However, we really need to think long term. Like being able to access stuff ten years from now. TFS might no longer be around.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about a private forum where we share private photos uploaded on Imgur? When you upload a photo on there and you make it private you can share a link to the photo for people to see it but it won't be visible for the rest. That way we could have a forum and a place to store all these photos. I think Reddit isn't going anywhere soon...

How about a private forum where we share private photos uploaded on Imgur? When you upload a photo on there and you make it private you can share a link to the photo for people to see it but it won't be visible for the rest. That way we could have a forum and a place to store all these photos. I think Reddit isn't going anywhere soon...

I have a similar discussion with my friends on bellazon with catalog images. A lot of these companies are restricting catalog images if you can believe that. I understand wanting to product art with editorials but e-commerce catalog images? I can understand a company being mad if someone is using the images to scam consumers but UMC and bellazon aren't using the images to make money. They are there to oogle the model. LOL

These image hosts are safe either. If you go to bellazon and look through contemporary model's threads, there are tons of dead links due to catalogs, agencies, and artist reporting them to well known image hosts that we regularly use. Basically, we have to figure out a way to host images without the general public having access to it. If they can't find it, they can't report it. You could upload the images to forum directly but that puts the forum at risk too. I say back up your images with an external hard drive just to be safe.

We should ask the moderators if this forum can be locked to protect it. You could start your own invite only image host club but that takes a lot work and you need servers and people willing and able to maintain it. If you did have it, I would help contribute to it but my interest lies within finding certain models. When these forums were created, there were all these models people added and could never update despite being with lot of agencies. These are the models I look for and try to update which explains my interest within this sub-forum. While I do scan vintage magazines, every once in a while, my interest is more on identifying these models. I hate that there are people on the internet that might know who these unknown models are and can't contact us because of the member only aspect of this forum. At the same time, we wouldn't have the nice and orderly method of archiving these ads, editorials, etc without it.

the choice is too lock this area down completely and have a restricted sharing site or expand to numerous forums and image hosts that it makes it impossible for the restrictors to delete all of it everywhere?

I think the vintage section should be locked down. Firstly, it doesn't appeal to most fashion fans so they would not be interested in it anyway. Secondly, people on here who are literally uploading thousands of photographs each year, like kelles and justaguy, they are offering their time and effort for free. We should preserve all this hard work.

I cannot imagine what would happen if imgbox ceased to exist for whatever reason. Thousands of vintage photos would be lost.

When I find a thread, I like, I create a folder on my Mac, put everything in there. Then I add metadata to each picture detailing the photographer, stylist, editorial assistant, year of publication and the magazine.

If no-one is doing this, even if the images were easy to salvage, all the photos would need to be classified accordingly again. It would be a huge task. The original poster may not even have access to original copy by then.

The quicker we do something (anything actually), the better it's going to be for us vintage fans.

*** edit: I'm aware that there are many more people posting. I just chose kelles and justaguy because they seem very prolific.

We should be a private sub forum and accept new member by invitation only. But I think that the owners of the forum would not agree to lock this forum up. They make money off ads so locking us up would mean less money for them.

We should be a private sub forum and accept new member by invitation only. But I think that the owners of the forum would not agree to lock this forum up. They make money off ads so locking us up would mean less money for them.

not true. Bellazon had to lock several of their threads including their infamous Sports Illustrated thread because of legal issues. There will come a time where certain areas of this forum will have to be closed as well. This forum can still make money from advertising within the other subforums. Just because a thread is locked doesn't mean that the hundreds of members that view it privately will not be subjected to ads. Plus, lawsuits cost more than this forum makes in advertising on this subforum alone.

I think the vintage section should be locked down. Firstly, it doesn't appeal to most fashion fans so they would not be interested in it anyway. Secondly, people on here who are literally uploading thousands of photographs each year, like kelles and justaguy, they are offering their time and effort for free. We should preserve all this hard work.

I cannot imagine what would happen if imgbox ceased to exist for whatever reason. Thousands of vintage photos would be lost.

When I find a thread, I like, I create a folder on my Mac, put everything in there. Then I add metadata to each picture detailing the photographer, stylist, editorial assistant, year of publication and the magazine.

If no-one is doing this, even if the images were easy to salvage, all the photos would need to be classified accordingly again. It would be a huge task. The original poster may not even have access to original copy by then.

The quicker we do something (anything actually), the better it's going to be for us vintage fans.

*** edit: I'm aware that there are many more people posting. I just chose kelles and justaguy because they seem very prolific.

I agree we need to start archiving as much as we can if these posters have not done so themselves. It's the image host that's the issue, not the forum. We need to figure this out.

I don't think that the few members of this subforum will make them money tough. :D

Hi everyone.
I think we should have a little light hearted fun - what do you think?
I recently saw a fantastic documentary on supermodels from the 60s / 70s / 80s called "About Face" (HBO). It is thoroughly entertaining if you are into fashion nostalgia - like us!
Anyhow it got me thinking about favourite covers & models etc - so I thought we could talk about it.

What is your favourite Vogue cover from the 1970s & why?

My favourite cover is November 1975 - Patti Hansen by Scavullo. Hair: Harry King & Makeup: Way Bandy. To me it is simply beautiful & invokes what Vogue means to me & I love pink! I get that cool Californian gal / studio 54 vibe that is iconic to me.
Original scan : justaguy@tfs

Attachments

• nov1975.jpg
    nov1975.jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 5
VOGUE British Edition - September 1976

Margaux Hemingway
Source: Vogue.co.uk

I love it because it is simple, just a face but extremely beautiful. The composite colors are so pretty (purple, green, navy blue and red)

Attachments

• 15-September_1976_covers_UK_margaux.jpg
    15-September_1976_covers_UK_margaux.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 11
Here's a few of my all time favorite 70s Vogue covers.

Vogue UK
May 1975
EDITOR: Beatrix Miller
COVER: Norman Parkinson
MODEL: Jerry Hall

[url=http://postimg.org/image/of8dtnu0j/][/URL]

April 1978
EDITOR: Beatrix Miller
COVER: Albert Watson
MODEL: unnamed

[url=http://postimg.org/image/41h8y9neb/][/URL]

Vogue USA

June 1973
COVER: Richard Avedon
MODEL: Lauren Hutton

[url=http://postimg.org/image/p65pd6lrn/][/URL]

October 1, 1971
COVER: unknown
MODEL: unknown

[url=http://postimg.org/image/3sjo8calv/][/URL]

pics from: vogue.co.uk
others from dfl-001

^October 1, 1971: Donna Mitchell photographed by Richard Avedon.

Hi, after seen it that some users want that this vintage sub-forum will be private, i have a problem.

I don't get why justaguy is compete with me to post editorials or covers in every thread, i mean, my throughs said than he is "the boss" of this sub-forum & Rosie, Kelly & other are support most his posts than mine.

I just contribute on these threads, i'm interese too to help. I hope than Cesar & me were are tired to play this game to see who's get more posts?

I don't have nothing against with you.

Hi, after seen it that some users want that this vintage sub-forum will be private, i have a problem.

I don't get why justaguy is compete with me to post editorials or covers in every thread, i mean, my throughs said than he is "the boss" of this sub-forum & Rosie, Kelly & other are support most his posts than mine.

I just contribute on these threads, i'm interese too to help. I hope than Cesar & me were are tired to play this game to see who's get more posts?

I don't have nothing against with you.

Hello.
There is no boss or ownership or competition here in the Vintage Forums - just people who like / love vintage magazines and nostalgia in fashion.
As an avid appreciator of vintage imagery I have already seen a lot of the scans that you RE post from other sites - so I don't make any comment - it doesn't mean it is not welcome. Original scans appear to get the most cheers - just something to think about.
Finally wanting accolades because you post many times will not happen because people have other things to do. Post because it makes you happy & you want to share with others - nothing more nothing less

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->