Violet #1 : Brit Marling by Amanda by de Cadenet

HeatherAnne

Reaction score
Delighted to see Brit Marling land the cover :heart:

2uivkuh.jpg

Stylist Leith Clark is one of the busiest women in the business—and with the launch of her new fashion magazine, Violet, she just got a whole lot busier. Clark’s credentials are impressive. She’s the founder of Lula Magazine; the style director at large for Harper’s Bazaar U.K.; Keira Knightley’s red-carpet stylist; and a brand consultant for the likes of Honor, Orla Kiely, and Michael van der Ham. Tomorrow, with the launch of the new biannual publication, she’ll add EIC to her résumé. Violet is a labor of love she started alongside her friend Luella Bartley, the new design director for Marc by Marc Jacobs.

“I started talking and brainstorming with Luella,” says Clark, “and slowly, it felt like time for me to do this.” Despite the digital-crazed, online world that fashion is moving toward, Clark argues print still has its place. “Print is not dead for me, no way. Magazines just need to be special and booklike—and Violet is booklike. I would never read a book on a screen.”

With her heavy involvement in the business, Clark is constantly surrounded by talent, and it seems she’s managed to lasso some of the best for the new venture. Bartlett has been deputized, while other masthead notables include Amanda de Cadenet, Stephanie LaCava, Clémence Poésy, Zoe Kazan, and Valentine Fillol-Cordier. Brit Marling covers the first issue, shot and interviewed by de Cadenet, but Clark is leaving a bit of mystery as to the feel of the whole thing. “It’s difficult for me to explain Violet in a few short sentences,” she says. “Especially when I want everyone who reads it to decide what it is to them. That’s better than me telling them how to feel.”

So where does the name Violet come from? “I called it Violet for a lot of reasons,” Clark says. “Namely because it’s a strong word, my favorite scent, my favorite Hole song, my goddaughter’s name, and also the name of my mysterious great-aunt who I only met once—she wore a kimono and pink lipstick and had naturally shiny silver hair. I was very little and she made quite an impression on me.” Let’s see what kind of impression Violet can make on the rest of us. — Afsun Qureshi

style.com

I like the look of Violet, I'm curious to see how it differs from Lula. This is a pretty cover and I love the quote from Brit Marling that they used, it's got such a hopeful feel to it. I hope this venture is successful for Leith and Luella, they always produce beautiful work.

should be in the shops now, but i havent seen it anywhere in london

sounds interesting, i'll be picking this up

Party of Special Things to Do
Photographer: Jessie Lily Adams
Styling: Kristina Golightly
Hair: Louis Ghewy
Make-up: Nami Yoshida
Models: Daphne Selfe, Sophia Kelly, Stephanie Hall, Wanessa Milhomem

thebookagency.co.uk

I'm interested to see if she can distinguish this magazine from Lula? This editorial has me scratching my head about that question, as it looks of the exact same aesthetic.

Before I even read the article I thought this magazine feels like a grown up Lula. Im excited to see the rest of this

I'm not sure exactly what the difference between Lula and Violet is, perhaps it is more grown up looking? It's hard to tell just from the preview, although I think it looks very well done. I love the photographs in the editorial, especially of the older women (does anyone know what her name is?) since she looks particularly stunning.

can you buy this online in the uk? (haven't seen it in the shops..)

It looks like they finally had a launch party for it - so maybe it's in stores now?!

11044d4ec62111e386620002c950d288_8.jpg

stephanie lacava instagram

Epitaph for a Darling Lady
Photographer: Sofia Sanchez & Mauro Mongiello
Styling: Samuel François
Hair: Alexandry Costa
Make-up: Hugo Villard
Model: Marine Deleeuw

artdepteurope

Model: Rosie Tapner
Photographed by Liz Collins
Make Up by Kay Montano

dandvmanagement

I just got this in the mail today and since no one has done a review, I thought I would:

cover: Brit Marling; photographer: Amanda De Cadenet

Party of Special Things To Do photographer: Jessie Lily Adams; models: Stephanie Hall, Daphne Selfe, Wanessa Milhomen, Sophie Kelly

The Beginners photographer: Nicole Nodland; models (girls coming of age:( Yrsa Daley-Ward, Alyusha Chagrin, Rachel Boardman, Vanessa Fenton, Zoe and Moon Bedeaux, Rosalind Jana

For Her Own Good photographer: Liz Collins; model: Rosie Tapner

The Spirit of the Hour photographer: Jane Mcleish-Kelsey; models/celebs: Tilda Lindstam, Sophie Okonedo, Yasmin Le Bon, Pauline Caulfield, Sue Greenhill

You Can't Be a Last-Year Girl photographer: Jenny Gage and Tom Betterton; models: Madison Headrick, April Uchitel, Isa Brito, Jacqueline Tarry, Ambra Medda

Epitaph for a Darling Lady photographer: Sofia & Mauro; model: Marine Deleeuw

All I See Is You photographer: Laura Sciacovelli; model: Kolfinna at Next

Manifest Destiny photographer: Amanda De Cadenet; celeb: Brit Marling (Amanda also conducted the interview with her)

articles:
- Traditional male and female gender roles in animal species
- Why people get married with stories from long-married couples
- Short stories by Meghan Kenny
- Interview with teacher Mogg Hercules + photo by Mary McCartney
- Interview with director So Yong Kim + photo by Bradley Rust Gray
- Interview with Anh Duong + photo by Erik Madigan Heck
- Interview with Molly Parkin + photos by Susannah Baker-Smith
- Short story by Hadley Freeman

I don't plan to scan anything other than the Yasmin Le Bon photos, but I could take photos if anyone is interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->