Lula Founder Leith Clark Is Leaving the Magazine

HeatherAnne

Reaction score
Lula Founder Leith Clark Is Leaving the Magazine

It may not have scantily-clad pop stars on its covers or politicians in its pages, but Lula has been one of my (and Fashionista’s) favorite fashion magazines since its inception.

Its gorgeous, dreamy, ultra-feminine editorials, perfect market stories, and super cool subjects make Lula one of the loveliest, most pleasant and enjoyable fashion reads around. We never fail to connect with its youthful, nostalgic feel. And, though the magazine does use other stylists, it’s all very Leith Clark, who founded the magazine eight years ago.

But yesterday, she announced that she’ll be leaving. “Issue seventeen is my last. It’s time,” Clark wrote on her blog. “Lula has been changing, as I have been changing, and I don’t want her to change too much! I want her to stay as she is. And me, I want to say goodbye now when it’s all going so amazingly well. When it’s joyful.”

Clark then cheered us up with this news: “Thank you for joining me on this adventure. And I hope you will join me for my next one: Violet will launch spring 2014.”

We’re very excited for Violet (which we presume to be a new magazine), but also intrigued by what the future holds for Lula, and what made Clark decide to leave the magazine she founded. Chances are the “changes” she referred to weren’t good ones. Perhaps pressure from publishers to make it more commercial?

We’ve reached out to Lula and Clark and will report back if we learn more.
fashionista

Last edited by a moderator:
This makes me very curious to see what her next venture will be like! I've been a fan of Lula from the beginning, and although it doesn't seem as fresh as it once did, it's still one of my favourite magazines. I'd also be interested to see what direction Lula goes in, and who will be in charge next- I do think a change wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, but I also wouldn't want the magazine to become completely unrecognisable.

The way I read that news was that Lula magazine was finished, not that Leith was leaving it and that it would continue on with a new editor. Am I wrong about this? Either way, it's a bit sad though.

^ Hmm, good question.

Most of us had been commenting on the last few issues that we were bored of the Lula girl. There's something to be said for someone who knows when it's time to move on.

Reading it again, it does seem like the magazine itself is finished, which is a bit sad, because I do think it could be interesting to see it with a new editor. The thing is though, Lula is very much Leith's project- it reflects her aesthetic and her interests, so I wonder if a new magazine wouldn't perhaps be more of the same? Either way, I really want to hear more from her as to why she's stopping, and what direction she wants to go in...

Reading it again, it does seem like the magazine itself is finished, which is a bit sad, because I do think it could be interesting to see it with a new editor. The thing is though, Lula is very much Leith's project- it reflects her aesthetic and her interests, so I wonder if a new magazine wouldn't perhaps be more of the same? Either way, I really want to hear more from her as to why she's stopping, and what direction she wants to go in...

That is correct, Lula is ending after this issue and Leith is starting a new magazine project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saucednoods
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->