Visual Merchandising / Window Dressing / Display

i know this is nothing big, but i use to work as a visual coordinator for gap and gapkids stores. it was my first job and i had so much fun doing it. esp. with the gapkids clothes. sometimes you have to come up with your own display and/or flip things around to suit your store. i wish i can do visuals for saks or barneys. i love their window displays.

i do visual merchandising at jcrew in nyc, i don't have a degree in that! i'd love to do the same for barneys or saks or bergorf, prada soho store, etc.

hi there, i was just wondering, how did you get that job? becuase i work at a jcrew in the los angeles area, as a sales associate, and im a college student and dont have any type of degree in visual merchandising but i go to art school and i have a lot of the qualifications. is there a way i can ask my managers if i can somehow contribute to the visuals process at jcrew?

i work as a visual merchandiser at H&M and i basically got the job by applying. I had been working in the firm like one year as an SA and then the visual merchandiser position opened up and I applied. And as far as I know H&M trains their own personel, so you don't need any degree.

In the H&M case though, you really can't use your own imagination while doing displays and windows. Everything has been decided in the head office and then there are just people in the stores that create them. We have lots of rules to keep the "H&M look and feel". But for someone who is interested starting in the visual merchandising, H&M would be an easy way to start.

hi there, i was just wondering, how did you get that job? becuase i work at a jcrew in the los angeles area, as a sales associate, and im a college student and dont have any type of degree in visual merchandising but i go to art school and i have a lot of the qualifications. is there a way i can ask my managers if i can somehow contribute to the visuals process at jcrew?

I'm a college student too and in the past I've had visual merch part-time jobs at the stores where I've worked just by telling the managers or visuals manager that I was interested. At the time I lived in Honolulu and so did visual for Abercrombie, Banana, and BCBG at Ala Moana (depending on where I worked, this is a span of 3ish years). For banana and BCBG it was not the only responsibility, like I was a salesperson/cashier but also could do visual responsibilities when needed. For Abercrombie it was all I did, no selling, just like 8-12 every night doing visuals stuff with a team of like 5 people a night. Just ask your manager about it, you don't need a degree. Just eye for detail and a sense of what's good and not good and by detail this means steaming everything making sure everyhting is straight and perfect and tucked just so and angled the right way for stores like banana and for A&F it means knowing how to stretch and pull and scrunch the fabric to get the right amount of "wear" wrinkles and pooled jeans and "attitude" on the forms.

For large national chains from my experience (A&F & banana) you follow documents that tell you exactly which garments exactly to use and the sizes are standard, which direction you loop the belt through the pants, how many buttons to button, the lighting, etc. is standard and there isn't much creativity needed you just follow as close as possible and substitute when you need to. For BCBG there was a little more freedom but it was still pretty standard. Also, this summer I did a visual merch internship for Benetton/sisley and there was way more freedom there and I even got to invent outfits and windows and merch garments on the floor. You just had to take inspiration from the current running ads or the look book and follow color stories so things were cohesive and told our message but otherwise it was pretty open and you could be creative. We even took pics of the windows, etc. we did and it was sent out as the directive for the rest of the company so that was pretty cool I thought.

Bottom line is it varies depending on the company and there is no special procedure for beginning. If you are interested, just talk to your manager and maybe they'll give you a few visuals shifts to try it or have you help the visuals people on the next floor set or something. BTW, I would sometimes have an entire shift of just straight prepping, like just pulling, desensoring and steaming racks of clothes for an upcoming change so it's not always exciting or anything. But I like it better than selling honestly. Good luck!:flower:

Fashion Work Experience

Hi people

I have been sooooo lucky enough to have been given the opportunity to work on the visual merchandising department with the House of Fraser department store where I live. Has anyone done visual merchandising work experience before? How were your 'experiences'? Any advice on really getting the most out of this because i want to be a VM when i leave college in a few months i hope?

Thanks xxx

Welcome to the Fashion Spot, VMWannabe!

I am merging this thread with the ongoing thread about Visual merchandising. Please do an advanced search for your topic before starting any new threads ... there's a good chance we already have a discussion on it.

If you need help ... Check the Newbie Help thread and the Search thread, both in the Member Support Forums ... pinned near the top.

I work as a VM for Topman (London Westfield store!), working in both creative (mannequin-styling/displays etc.), as well as merchandising.. Happy to ask any questions anyone may have :smile:

my job involves me doing a tiny bit of VM-ing, I'd love do it as my main career/job :smile:
The VM's are in at the moment at my work and their job looks really good.

I have an interview in the city to be a visual merchandising intern. Do you think this is a good way to get started if that is what i want to do with my career

i know this is nothing big, but i use to work as a visual coordinator for gap and gapkids stores. it was my first job and i had so much fun doing it. esp. with the gapkids clothes. sometimes you have to come up with your own display and/or flip things around to suit your store. i wish i can do visuals for saks or barneys. i love their window displays.

Were you working their as an employee before you go that job?

I have an interview in the city to be a visual merchandising intern. Do you think this is a good way to get started if that is what i want to do with my career

B) It is probably one of the best ways to meet the people you need to know-

The amount of times I have run into a VM who "knew someone" to get the job hence are hopeless at their job is unbelievable. It makes a mockery of those who intern or study their way to the top.

The hands on experience is priceless and everyday I can assure you, you will learn something new.

Just make sure you take pictures of your work or what you contributed to!

Were you working their as an employee before you go that job?

I don't know, this might help answer your question, but I was a visual merchandiser for JCPenney for approximately two years, and I did work as a sales associate and in other various positions in the store first. I actually got into visual merchandising by using JCPenney to tie into my classes at school. If you are working toward a degree in fashion, I think most companies are very likely to get you into those positions. :smile:

Hi there,
This is a great thread.
Just today I got accepted into Visual Merchandising Arts at college (it's a two year program).
I'm very excited since I went to a specialized Arts school and most of the course work is in my major (Visual Arts +Design).
I'm like to get into Fashion Illustration but this seems like a really great way to learn about the industry.

I'm just wondering if it's worth it to actually go study this, or if working at a retail store and learning it over time would be just as good. The only upside I see is that they have work placements so I could have some experience and "network" for a job once I graduate.
:question:What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Personally, I think getting into a visual merchandising program would be wonderful! I wish that they had had a program like that close to where I live! I think it would be a great idea, too, to try to get a job doing visual in a retail store, at least part time. I did take a few visual merchandising classes, and I learned a LOT, but the experience that I received working visual at JCP was by far the most helpful! Hope this helps!

i work as a visual merchandiser at H&M and i basically got the job by applying. I had been working in the firm like one year as an SA and then the visual merchandiser position opened up and I applied. And as far as I know H&M trains their own personel, so you don't need any degree.

In the H&M case though, you really can't use your own imagination while doing displays and windows. Everything has been decided in the head office and then there are just people in the stores that create them. We have lots of rules to keep the "H&M look and feel". But for someone who is interested starting in the visual merchandising, H&M would be an easy way to start.
urgh I work at H&M as a part time SA. I agree it would also be an easy way to start but you'll have to do it full time (or so I was told). I wanted to move onto VM but I'm a student as well. I hate the fact that you can't use your imagination. I understand there's a look, but I find their display's so uninspiring-they've never actually made me stop and think yeah I want that now. I find it so hard having to resist the urge to rip the clothes off of the mannequin and throow something else onto it.

the interview for the internship I have is, a little boutique in the meat packing district, do you know anything about the company rebecca and drew?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know, this might help answer your question, but I was a visual merchandiser for JCPenney for approximately two years, and I did work as a sales associate and in other various positions in the store first. I actually got into visual merchandising by using JCPenney to tie into my classes at school. If you are working toward a degree in fashion, I think most companies are very likely to get you into those positions. :smile:

thankss, I think ill try maybe and apply their over the summer or something.

B) It is probably one of the best ways to meet the people you need to know-

The amount of times I have run into a VM who "knew someone" to get the job hence are hopeless at their job is unbelievable. It makes a mockery of those who intern or study their way to the top.

The hands on experience is priceless and everyday I can assure you, you will learn something new.

Just make sure you take pictures of your work or what you contributed to!

hahah yeahh i knoww, i hope i get the internship they are adjusting their schedule to fit mine.

I hate the fact that you can't use your imagination. I understand there's a look, but I find their display's so uninspiring-they've never actually made me stop and think yeah I want that now. I find it so hard having to resist the urge to rip the clothes off of the mannequin and throow something else onto it.

But ... there is someone (probably a team) at the top who does make the decsions about what the current "look" of all the stores will be ... so the goal would be to work your way up to that team. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->